General art-related discussion.
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:08 pm

jvwoodford wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:01 pm
finneganm wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:56 am

2)My point was that if you're truly worried about $250, don't buy $250 posters. Realistically, don't buy any posters, and get your fudge in order.
2.A)If, however, your concern falls more along the line of, "man, I'm going to have to do some maneuvering within my art budget to adjust for an unexpected $250 increase", see point 1 above.
Are you James Jean's publicist?
He's actually the bassist for the Ramones.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
finneganm
Art Freak

Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:35 pm

I'm a lot of things to a lot of people
That's what she said
PapaVo
Art Expert

Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:56 pm

Bottom line : It is up to the artist what they charge. We as collectors can decide if it's worth that to us. Buy or buy not, there is no try.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:05 pm

finneganm wrote:
True.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:07 pm

finneganm wrote:
I'm glad you used the term "luxury items" - hits the nail on the head and sums up the entire argument. It's not Honda vs Porsche, it's people that can buy pretty paper vs. people that can't afford to eat or pay rent. If you can't afford a $500 print, you can't afford a $250 print.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:25 am

youall made it an economic - that's not how I see it

if youre a fan that's been buying his work at the more reasonable price level FOR a FREAKING OPEN EDITION - this price jump is a slap in the face

a reflection that the artist has little regard for fans...popularity or greed, that I'm not sure

actions speak louder than words in this world

hope JJ gets slapped with minimal sales and possibly more flipping ....

Heres a better economic example:

You go to Dairy Queen for your favorite icecream/open edition

DQ raises the price from $3 to $10- you can still afford, might pay it but walk away saying DQ has got pretty greedy for open edition icecream ! :D

final point: if the price is this high- shouldnt be open edition
finneganm
Art Freak

Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:14 am

Counterpoint: nahhhh

I greatly prefer the limited window open edition.
That's what she said
Iracles
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:01 am

Grateful69Phish wrote:

if youre a fan that's been buying his work at the more reasonable price level FOR a FREAKING OPEN EDITION - this price jump is a slap in the face

a reflection that the artist has little regard for fans...popularity or greed, that I'm not sure

DQ raises the price from $3 to $10- you can still afford, might pay it but walk away saying DQ has got pretty greedy for open edition icecream ! :D

I ask this question sincerely: How expensive would Phish tickets have to be in order to elicit the same reaction from you?
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:57 am

Grateful69Phish wrote:

"Slapped with flipping". OH NOOOOOOOOOOOES SOMEONE GAVE ME MONEY FOR MY ITEMS.

No one gets "slapped with flipping" :lol:

The action of counting money is far preferable to giving away your hard work. get that money James, you deserve it. Bump the next open edition up even more and then when people flip it you can say "Grateful69Phish sure was right, it sucks that people are flipping an open edition after I've collected a large stack of cash from those willing to pay my asking price during a 24hr period. WHAT AM I GONNA DO?????"
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:52 am

Grateful69Phish wrote:
we've noticed. you've made it into an emotional issue when it isn't. but i understand why you are emotional about it if you are a collector.

he's doubled the price. we get it.

buy it or don't. its not more complicated than that. flipping/reselling only occurs because new fans come in and have to pick up an edition they weren't aware of.

i collect various mike mitchell series. if they got to a price point where i couldn't justify it, i just wouldn't buy it.

your ice cream analogy doesn't work because I can't go to another artists and get a james jean print. i can go to wendys and get a frosty for a dollar. but if i really want a $10 Blizzard from DQ i can get that if I'm craving one and dont mind spending the money.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
toobs
Art Expert

Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:44 am

As a very long time JJ supporter and collector, I'm not a fan of the new pricing, it sucks that pricing keeps going up and prints are getting smaller and smaller, though the details and craftsmanship has gone through the roof.

With that said I haven't bought a print of his since June of last year because of the new pricing, $500 is a lot for a print even more so an open edition print.

But as mentioned previously in this thread, I'd buy 4-5 JJs a year, this just makes me more selective when purchasing certain images, so now maybe I only buy 2-3. This is for sure a must buy.
Codeblue wrote:Ya know they'll put out at least 1 "ZOMG gotta rub mah nuts on another dukes butt to get in line for it" poster.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:18 pm

Time limited edition != open edition

P.S. Stop indulging the donkey.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
jkw3000
EB Team

Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:32 pm

I don't think equating art with general products like ice cream really works - if Banksy dropped a timed edition directly for $500 it'd be considered a damn bargain, and for many other artists the 200-250 price range on a timed would be unjustifiable. They all operate on different price expectations.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
papaver
Tech Team Member

Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:17 pm

the print seems like seriously more work and labor and process than any of this other $200 prints. not even close from what i can tell from the few images he posted so far on instagram... feels like that is part of the reasoning. the previous rls was on wood and framed hence the higher price tag.

passage was 3k because he said it took a full day to produce a single print. for a full day of work with how many people involved + material, seems reasonable to me.

i don't see it as gouging when the quality and workmanship is higher. not like he's selling a sun tarot which pretty much just had inlayed gold stripes for $500. it's presumptive to think he's just doubling the prices cause he can.

i just can't see james giving two shits about a flipper market when he's pulling ~$200k a rls. with several rlses a year.
nottyplay1
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:11 am

i have to agree with the thinking that 500 is really nothing compared to the glicees out there by other artists..one of my former fav. urban artist was jerkface, i don't know what hapenned in his train of thought that he now charges 1k 2k 5k for an epson print with no added work...and not just him but others just reaching out for a bigger grab. i think JJ is doing fine in his pricing, and if he wants a modest 20% bump to have a 20% grab of the flipper market that is totally understandable, it is a modest bump and maybe will keep ed number lower.