James Jean News and Releases

General art-related discussion.
jeffzilla
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:53 am

finneganm wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:37 am
The higher price point will eventually take the insta-flipper (10 on eBay type consumer) out of the equation. If you love the image, it’s far from an outrageous amount of money for a (very) well crafted print. If you don’t love it, there’s a very easy solution.

Bemoaning his success as a “greedy” artist sounds like the whining of a petulant toddler.
Totally agree. Best timed release he's put out in years. I'm on the fence but this is most likely a buy during the window.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:00 am

and it took people who cant afford 500 prints right out of equation

who cares right ?

all about stopping flippers - joke ... greed

better to stop 1 person flipping 10 prints and lose 30 fans who cant afford?

ever stop to think that those 30 fans are who contributed to the success?

:hanging:

Fairey should raise the price of his stickers!! :D

no problem with success - dont sell $500 open editions then, drink from the cup that fits the hand

but youall are too busy drinking $ 250 bottles of whiskey :hanging:
finneganm
Art Freak

Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:15 am

It’s really simple:Buy what you love.

Can’t afford it now, but you absolutely need it? Save up. Trade for it. It will make you appreciate it more when you get it.

If you can afford a 250 art print, but somehow can’t swing a 500 art print, the unfortunate truth is that you probably couldn’t afford the 250 art print.
That's what she said
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:16 am

understood

take care
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:19 am

finneganm wrote:
If you can afford a 250 art print, but somehow can’t swing a 500 art print, the unfortunate truth is that you probably couldn’t afford the 250 art print.
Here here
Iracles
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:52 am

finneganm wrote:
It’s really simple:Buy what you love.

Can’t afford it now, but you absolutely need it? Save up. Trade for it. It will make you appreciate it more when you get it.

The kicker here reminds me of when I asked my dad if there was tax on tuition for university. His response was, "If you are worried about the tax, that means that you can't afford it".

I cried.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:49 am

It's also like saying if you can't afford the Porsche, you can't afford the Honda.

The logic of not being able to afford something because you can't afford to pay over the double the cost for something else seems funky to me.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
finneganm
Art Freak

Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:45 am

It depends on the scale, but you already know this.

In your example of a Porsche vs Honda buyer, $50,000 is a big jump for the overwhelming majority of people. The difference here is paying up for luxury version of a product, and a product that you probably need in some capacity. Is the Porsche actually a better car? Is the price justified? Maybe? Our opinion is irrelevant because the market has determined the price differential is justified, because both Porsche and Honda continue to make and sell cares.

In the James Jean print price, $250 is a big jump for a lot of people. My comment was more to bring to light that if you're really worried about $250, you shouldn't be spending $250 on posters. Prioritize your life better.

Art is inherently a luxury item anyway. You don't really need it, you want it. If you really needed to have this specific art in your life, you could print out a copy and tack it to your wall. Is it the same? Maybe? You can see and enjoy the art, which is the important part, right? Unless you need the limited edition piece, in which case, what are we talking about?
That you don't like paying more for things. Which is true, no one does.

But if he gave these away, or charged a dollar on an open edition, would you still want it?
That's what she said
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:57 am

finneganm wrote:
But if he gave these away, or charged a dollar on an open edition, would you still want it?
yes
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:18 am

Grateful69Phish wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:00 am
all about stopping flippers - joke ... greed

better to stop 1 person flipping 10 prints and lose 30 fans who cant afford?

ever stop to think that those 30 fans are who contributed to the success?

:hanging:
i mean....he has timed editions for almost every release for the past few years....he beat the flippers a long time ago.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
Kramerica
Art Freak

Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:31 am

finneganm wrote:
It depends on the scale, but you already know this.

In your example of a Porsche vs Honda buyer, $50,000 is a big jump for the overwhelming majority of people. The difference here is paying up for luxury version of a product, and a product that you probably need in some capacity. Is the Porsche actually a better car? Is the price justified? Maybe? Our opinion is irrelevant because the market has determined the price differential is justified, because both Porsche and Honda continue to make and sell cares.

In the James Jean print price, $250 is a big jump for a lot of people. My comment was more to bring to light that if you're really worried about $250, you shouldn't be spending $250 on posters. Prioritize your life better.

Art is inherently a luxury item anyway. You don't really need it, you want it. If you really needed to have this specific art in your life, you could print out a copy and tack it to your wall. Is it the same? Maybe? You can see and enjoy the art, which is the important part, right? Unless you need the limited edition piece, in which case, what are we talking about?
That you don't like paying more for things. Which is true, no one does.

I don't think James is greedy and I don't fault him for recognizing his value, so I don't want to get lumped in with those who do. As a collector, I like to collect things (no way!), and charging over twice as much means if I maintain the same budget for buying art I have, I either buy less of James' work or less of something else. I think we are talking a lot to basically say the same thing. The people who will not buy this print due to the price increase are doing exactly what you said, prioritizing their life better.

I don't fault folks for being upset about the price increase, so long as they recognize it's their problem. Not "greedy" James Jean making their life so much worse by being successful. I just don't think it can be reduced to as simple as "if you won't spend $500 on art but would spend $200, you can't afford $200 art". For me, anyway, there's a little more thought and nuance put into what I will or won't buy and price is only a part of that.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
jeffzilla
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:52 am

Kramerica wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:49 am
It's also like saying if you can't afford the Porsche, you can't afford the Honda.

The logic of not being able to afford something because you can't afford to pay over the double the cost for something else seems funky to me.
I REALLY wanted that $3500 Passage woodblock that came out last year but I can't swing that so that's not for me.

The jump from his initial timed-release price of $175 to $200 to $220 to $250 to now $500...seems pretty reasonable to me?
Maybe I can't afford to buy 3 or 4 of his timed releases in a year now, but I could def pick and choose the ones I "want" most, which is prob what many have been doing with JJ timed drops.

If $250 was steep then I totally agree $500 just makes it doubly less affordable for someone who just wants to own a JJ piece, but I'd rather JJ get his $$ and I don't have to stress over a limited edition print drop.
finneganm
Art Freak

Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:56 am

1)I agree fully. If it's worth 500 to you, buy it! If it's not, don't!

2)My point was that if you're truly worried about $250, don't buy $250 posters. Realistically, don't buy any posters, and get your fudge in order.
2.A)If, however, your concern falls more along the line of, "man, I'm going to have to do some maneuvering within my art budget to adjust for an unexpected $250 increase", see point 1 above.

3) Timed all the way. I think James Jean has proven that demand for quality will be there.
That's what she said
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:05 pm

Kramerica wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:31 am
I think we are talking a lot to basically say the same thing.
this sums up most of the threads in here.

i think there is also a disconnect with insanely passionate fanbases that seemingly buy every release from an artist, where you don't have to own it in order to like it.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
jvwoodford
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:01 pm

finneganm wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:56 am

2)My point was that if you're truly worried about $250, don't buy $250 posters. Realistically, don't buy any posters, and get your fudge in order.
2.A)If, however, your concern falls more along the line of, "man, I'm going to have to do some maneuvering within my art budget to adjust for an unexpected $250 increase", see point 1 above.
Are you James Jean's publicist?