The Ebay Advice Column

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
geezer
Art Expert

Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:42 pm

dwlfennell wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:50 pm
geezer wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:45 pm
Does anyone else have ebay changing your listings to buy it now and free shipping out of the blue? I checked the correct boxes, proofed it, then they change it after a day or so. :hanging:
Are you using your phone to create listings with the eBay app? Heard from many that it's a fairly common glitch with the app. Never had any issues with listings created on my PC.
Nope, just my trusty PC. I realize they want you to SELL, but don't change my stuff.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Tue May 05, 2020 10:39 pm

geezer wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:45 pm
Does anyone else have ebay changing your listings to buy it now and free shipping out of the blue? I checked the correct boxes, proofed it, then they change it after a day or so. :hanging:
havent seen or heard that. have seen/heard it automatically adding best offer.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Wed May 06, 2020 2:35 pm

Anyone else just get an email about their new payment management they are rolling out / requiring?
DickButt
Art Expert

Fri May 08, 2020 8:15 am

BENYOUNG20 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:35 pm
Anyone else just get an email about their new payment management they are rolling out / requiring?
My biggest takeaway from that email is sellers no longer get their funds available immediately and have to wait 2 business days for it to be deposited into your bank account.
mattlew69
Art Expert

Fri May 08, 2020 8:54 am

Not a fan of their Global Shipping Program. Used it once.

If its going to be used to streamline shipping to international bidders, does anyone like it and find it beneficial?

Also sounds like they are separating from paypal??? Why no more paypal fees? And instead a 30 cent per listing fee?

It sounded like a 3rd party add on to me at first. Something I accidentally clicked on to get signed up. I sure hope everyone is not forced to go to it.
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Fri May 08, 2020 9:28 am

mattlew69 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:54 am
Not a fan of their Global Shipping Program. Used it once.

If its going to be used to streamline shipping to international bidders, does anyone like it and find it beneficial?

Also sounds like they are separating from paypal??? Why no more paypal fees? And instead a 30 cent per listing fee?

It sounded like a 3rd party add on to me at first. Something I accidentally clicked on to get signed up. I sure hope everyone is not forced to go to it.
IMO Global Shipping Program is great for sellers, makes it a much more safe process.
eBay separated from paypal years ago.
The new program is not optional, all sellers have to go to it by July.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Fri May 08, 2020 9:37 am

I use global shipping program all the time. I don't have to worry about doing any of the international part myself. Once it reaches the global shipping center, ebay takes responsibility. I have sold maybe 100 things total through the program and only ever had two issues, not mindblowing volume over several years but some. Once, the buyer received a watch instead of the print. Ebay refunded them and I kept my money. The second, the delivering courier left it out in the rain. Again, ebay refunds the buyer and I keep my money. I don't have to worry about buyers hemming and hawing over shipping costs, or wanting me to falsify the documentation to save them on taxes, I just tell them it's all handled by ebay. I have heard from others that ebay opens items during the customs documentation process but I have never had an issue with them manhandling a print if they are indeed doing so. Even if they did, I imagine ebay would take the hit if it's trashed when it reaches the buyer.

I know some international folks say ebay overcharges when they pre-calculate customs fees and tack them on to the purchase price but the convenience it provides as a seller is worth it to me. I will usually put they can contact me for other international methods, or offer priority international for like $50 flat, but most my international sales are still gsp.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
mattlew69
Art Expert

Fri May 08, 2020 1:07 pm

Thanks for the info guys!! I just seem to hate change as I become a grumpy old man.
DickButt
Art Expert

Fri May 08, 2020 1:36 pm

mattlew69 wrote:
Thanks for the info guys!! I just seem to hate change as I become a grumpy old man.
I’m fine with everyone having to use global shipping even though I never have. Also fine with final value fees being taken out immediately. Just one less bill to pay a month. What still irks me is not getting money immediately and from what I’ve been reading, it can be longer than the 2 days they claim since they only send it after 2 business days and it might take longer for the bank to process it. I also liked the money going into PayPal just to keep it there and use it for purchases. Sometimes I don’t want the cash in a bank account, now it’s being forced there.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri May 08, 2020 4:22 pm

No one is being forced to use the GSP.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
mattlew69
Art Expert

Sat May 09, 2020 6:08 pm

DickButt wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 1:36 pm
mattlew69 wrote:
I’m fine with everyone having to use global shipping even though I never have. Also fine with final value fees being taken out immediately. Just one less bill to pay a month. What still irks me is not getting money immediately and from what I’ve been reading, it can be longer than the 2 days they claim since they only send it after 2 business days and it might take longer for the bank to process it. I also liked the money going into PayPal just to keep it there and use it for purchases. Sometimes I don’t want the cash in a bank account, now it’s being forced there.
I treated eBay and PayPal as my separate little art fun(d) money. Now its going to be all tied into my real money...... that my wife sees. :cry:
Bartleby

Mon May 18, 2020 10:34 am

This seller (https://www.ebay.com/usr/eddysapparel) sold me a fake Panther Power print by Shepard Fairey.
He put pics of a original print on the listing but then he sends a fake one.
The paper, the size, the signature.. is all wrong.

Be aware
Arterre
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 18, 2020 12:02 pm

:clap: Used to take tubes to the post office to ship ..
Now, print out label, leave by my street mailbox, mailman comes by at 11:30- noon
I sit in the yard under a palm tree watching, he picks it up, scans it , I see it "received by usps " online Bingo!
occasionally I attach a $5 bill Tip, to show my appreciation, that these guys are out doing their job . :pint:
bigmuls
Art Expert

Mon May 18, 2020 2:42 pm

Bartleby wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:34 am
This seller (https://www.ebay.com/usr/eddysapparel) sold me a fake Panther Power print by Shepard Fairey.
He put pics of a original print on the listing but then he sends a fake one.
The paper, the size, the signature.. is all wrong.

Be aware
Got any pics?
Bartleby

Tue May 19, 2020 12:34 pm

Yes, i will post them here later.