Mondo Poster News & Rumors

General art-related discussion.
KingOfNothing
Art Connoisseur

Fri May 01, 2020 2:16 pm

Sure, why not? They can candy coat the press release all they want. Drafthouse is looking to be bought. Tim's new executive chairman role and the new CEO hire is a desperation move to make the company look viable to someone who is looking to purchase. But here's the thing, movie theaters as we once knew them are done. Going to the movies like we used to is over. Society has been spooked into being afraid of it's own shadow. I stand by my claim, within two years Drafthouse goes bankrupt, and the most "potentially" profitable brand... Mondo gets spun-off and sold. Book it!
NEVER FORGET Image 02/14/14
Je préfère mourir sur mes pieds que de vivre à genoux
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri May 01, 2020 2:42 pm

How do we subscribe to your newsletter tho?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Fri May 01, 2020 2:46 pm

Maybe Doyle will buy it with all those stacks of money he likes to bang grannies on. Make Mondo great again!
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Fri May 01, 2020 6:35 pm

KingOfNothing wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:16 pm
Sure, why not? They can candy coat the press release all they want. Drafthouse is looking to be bought. Tim's new executive chairman role and the new CEO hire is a desperation move to make the company look viable to someone who is looking to purchase. But here's the thing, movie theaters as we once knew them are done. Going to the movies like we used to is over. Society has been spooked into being afraid of it's own shadow. I stand by my claim, within two years Drafthouse goes bankrupt, and the most "potentially" profitable brand... Mondo gets spun-off and sold. Book it!
people have been claiming the death of movie theaters since television has been invented. and while these times are unlike anything that has come before, to say it's 'dead' is a stretch.

that doesn't mean it'll be easy or bounce back, or it will happen instantly. but i know myself and every movie fan I talk to can't wait to get back to movies.

i don't hear any one saying that concerts, music festivals, stand up, or plays are going to be dead forever. and on a base level its just people communally enjoying art. now, it will be along time before those things are "normal" again.

to say, 'its over', is kind of ignoring all the centuries of history that have come before it. including histories of pandemics and world events.

its more an unprecedented time, and every creative industry isn't sure how to push forward. but they will.

i mean, if anything the alamo model is more likely where movie theaters are going to go towards. Specialty programing with more spacious and enjoyable movie theaters.

also, i think you over inflating the kind of input Tim had on Mondo as a whole.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
cotis
Art Expert

Fri May 01, 2020 10:19 pm

new CEO was executive at SBUX when Starbucks expanded quite a bit, so maybe we actually have MORE theaters coming.
kansasbbq
Art God

Sat May 02, 2020 9:57 am

Alamo Drafthouse Sells Birth.Movies.Death.

When Alamo Drafthouse founder Tim League announced yesterday that he was stepping down as CEO to become executive chair, he stressed he would remain involved in operations at the Drafthouse, print wing Mondo, and Fantastic Fest. Yet one sub-brand - Birth.Movies.Death. - was missing, and now we know why.

Today, editor-in-chief Evan Saathoff announced that the magazine and website has been sold to film producer and publisher Dallas Sonnier, and will now become part of his Cinestate media enterprise.

It's a big brand acquisition for Dallas-based Cinestate, which has made its reputation through mixing innovation and provocation. Alongside well-reviewed releases like Bone Tomahawk and Stand-Off at Sparrow Creek, it's also overseen the relaunch of beloved horror movie magazine Fangoria under former BMD writers Phil Nobile Jr. and Meredith Borders. However, it’s also sparked consternation among audiences for promoting what are seen as conservative viewpoints, and most especially the launch of its Rebeller brand, which has been seen as taking needlessly confrontational positions (and launching straw-man arguments) against political correctness. Most recently, Rebeller published They Called Me Wyatt after its previous published dumped the book when author Natasha Tynes became the subject of social media backlash.

Birth.Movies.Death. (or BMD, as it is commonly known) has been in stasis since late March, when Saathoff published a blog post that the future of the magazine and the site was in flux. Saathoff was the only person writing stories for the site for the entire month of April, a mix of news announcements and promotion for Drafthouse events and products. The most recent print issue was the James Bond commemorative volume (originally intended to release in conjunction with the next 007 films, No Time to Die, which has now been pushed back to November).

With today’s announcement, Saathoff confirmed that he will become editor-in-chief, while Scott Wampler will return as managing editor. Wampler added that moving from the Drafthouse was clearly a huge change, with both positives and negatives. He wrote, “Working for the Drafthouse was never quite restrictive to our overall mission, but there were times when it would’ve been nice not to be working for a company that was, at the end of the day, understandably beholden to the unpredictable moods of the Hollywood studio system.”

The roots of Birth.Movies.Death. are deep in Drafthouse history, the title being a playful motto. In 2010, the Drafthouse launched the precursor to the print product, the film news and lifestyle website Badass Digest, spearheaded by former CHUD blogger Devin Faraci, who would later become editor-in-chief of BMD before resigning under a cloud of allegations in 2016. The magazine began printing in 2013, and became both a physical expression of Badass Digest, and a replacement for the Drafthouse’s old print monthly programming guide.

The connections have run deep: BMD has historically only been available through Drafthouse locations or via mail order, and one of its biggest selling points has been the use of exclusive cover art from artists on the regular roster at Mondo, the Alamo’s print wing. The question now is how exactly they move forward without the Alamo infrastructure or resources behind them. Saathoff emphasized that the door is not closed on the relationship, adding that “we’re looking forward to partnering with Alamo Drafthouse on various projects in the future” and that BMD-sponsored screenings are “likely.”

For the meantime, Saathoff said that the site will mainly just be him and Wampler working with "a very tight roster of freelancers to help when needed." It's expected that there will be input from the Fangoria team, while longtime contributor Brian Collins confirmed via Twitter that his "Collins' Crypt" column, exploring old and forgotten cult films, will return.
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
KingOfNothing
Art Connoisseur

Sat May 02, 2020 4:07 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 2:42 pm
How do we subscribe to your newsletter tho?
Sorry, absolutely no subs! And I've already said too much. Let's just say a certain someone knows another person who was close to the person who was responsible for a certain someones contract being negotiated and certain bonuses were being negotiated. Fairly common contractual details... but... I've already... and with that, Vol. 1 of the newsletter is now officially sold out!
NEVER FORGET Image 02/14/14
Je préfère mourir sur mes pieds que de vivre à genoux
DonPiano
Art Expert

Mon May 04, 2020 3:48 am

Alamo's not going anywhere. I mean, they're part of a big group that helped win the first foreign language best picture Oscar...

...which is an interesting point. With Neon being so closely aligned with Alamo, the point about studios owning theatres becomes a little bit clearer and closer to reality.

Also, interesting to see DrScott44 still going strong. Can't say I've visited BMD recently, but would be a shame to see it disappear.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Mon May 04, 2020 5:27 am

havent been to a movie theater in over a decade - wouldn't be surprised at all to see them shuttered

drive in movies FTW- bring your own smoke and drinks :clap:
aldobishalini
Art Expert

Mon May 04, 2020 9:17 am

Grateful69Phish wrote:
havent been to a movie theater in over a decade
Why.....?
BISHALINI.com (My Collection) Image

“Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning.”
DonPiano
Art Expert

Mon May 04, 2020 9:22 am

Too busy attending Phish concerts.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Mon May 04, 2020 10:22 am

aldobishalini wrote:
Grateful69Phish wrote:
Why.....?
MCU
kansasbbq
Art God

Mon May 04, 2020 10:23 am

Grateful69Phish wrote:
drive in movies FTW- bring your own smoke and drinks :clap:
Not during the summer months.
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
fantasticninja
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 04, 2020 12:15 pm

wonkabars7 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:22 am
aldobishalini wrote:
Grateful69Phish wrote:
Why.....?
MCU
LOL, glad someone else thinks the MCU is trash. Cinemas got rid of film, replaced it with digital copies of movies, MCU comes busting in with full CGI scenes (yes, yes let's CGI Sam Jackson's pistol in this scene, OH and that lamp!). In what world could a movie that 80% CGI get nominated for best cinematography?
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Mon May 04, 2020 12:37 pm

People who think there are 'no good movies anymore' or 'nothing good gets released besides superhero movies' are lazy as drymount. and clearly dont really have a vested interest in seeing movies outside their comfort zone.

there are so many wild and wonderful movies that come out every year. big and small. if you aren't finding them its because you aren't looking.

living in NYC we are very spoiled in terms of our theaters and screenings. but even if you can't make it to the theaters everything ends up on streaming.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!