Laurent Durieux - Appreciation & Discussion

General art-related discussion.
NiffWho
Art Connoisseur

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:27 am

Waiting for Julien was the best thing he'd done in a long time.
jvwoodford
Art Connoisseur

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:33 am

I am cautiously optimistic for the Paris, Texas commission
NiffWho
Art Connoisseur

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:35 am

Oof. One of my favorite films ever. Hope he goes the Gallows route and not something obviously clever like The Typewriter.
KSUvet
Art Expert

Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:03 pm

jvwoodford wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:57 am
Apocalypse Now and The Shining were great from his second show, but not much else in my opinion. It's a tricky act to follow when you've created such game changing posters in the past (i.e. Jaws). I wish he would just take a bit more time in between them but I guess man gotta eat.
No one thought Jaws was a zOMG game changer when it was released, or I would've picked up one just to flip. That's all revisionism through the lens of the price chart. It's just ok. Can anyone tell me how many copies of "Silence" Demme picked up so I can know whether to buy?
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
Kramerica
Art Freak

Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:21 pm

None. He couldn't figure out who directed the damn thing.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
jvwoodford
Art Connoisseur

Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:57 pm

I disagree. I only got into the game in 2015, way after it sold but i was still figuring out what galleries to buy from in the UK as i always assumed overseas purchases were out of my budget. So before i ever had any knowledge of how much Mondo posters sold for ($100 maybe) or fetch on the aftermarket (i never bothered to check) or even knew any background on Durieux or the print, i could see how it had a timeless appeal to it and how daring it was not to even show the water, let alone the shark. On top of that it could easily just make a nice art print of a beach. I thought it was classy and clever, not something i would think to associate with pop art. It wasn't until i researched it a bit after seeing waffles a year or two ago that i realised how much money it goes for. I still find the idea ludicrous to be honest, i'd never pay over $1000 for any print. An original drawing or painting maybe.
DonPiano
Art Expert

Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:21 pm

My issue with Durieux's work is that after Jaws, it seems like a lot of them simply must have an easter egg like image in it (the back of the dress on Days of Heaven, the necklace in the Titanic) which can't help but feel out of place on the print. That Days of Heaven is so nearly perfect, but the faces in the dress... oof. And The Gone With the Wind staircase? Gah!

He's still a technically accomplished artist, but depending on the place putting out the print, it's reminded me of the value of art directors. Maybe that's why he pushed back against the Silence of the Lambs change? Because he feels he's more talented than a commissioner - he is, but that doesn't mean that he's unable to accept and receive feedback.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
mtarail
Art Expert

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:22 pm

KSUvet wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:03 pm
Can anyone tell me how many copies of "Silence" Demme picked up so I can know whether to buy?
Point taken. (Spielberg). But none. He died in 2017,

FWIW, I really like the poster, bizarre title and all.
playa787
Art Expert

Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:32 am

That’s why I liked the Sinbad piece. No lame design cleverness. Straight forward solid art. Same with Waiting for julien. Imo most of his better pieces are the ones without the obviously forced visual gimmick.
"__________ is one of my favorite movies ever but that poster doesn't do it for me. -E.B.
pisker
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:32 am

Forbidden planet is probably my favorite piece by him. Encompasses all of what people are saying above, I feel.
My Noob Confession: I used to actually type out "Drymount"
jvwoodford
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:29 am

I still think the 'Easter egg' approach can be done well, just look at most Olly Moss pieces. I don't have a problem with that, the problem is when you force it. That's why I feel like limiting his output of ideas (as well as getting better art direction, it's no accident his best pieces have been commissioned by Mondo) would mean more refined pieces get released.
jvwoodford
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:31 am

BTW I think Days of Heaven strikes the right balance, I missed the faces in the dress and could still appreciate it for its beauty. Same thing with The Shining (Danny variant) - took me a few seconds to notice the door. Subtlety is where the added art direction pays dividends, as well as typographic advice.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:58 am

im glad we finally are getting to the point where more are coming around that jaws is just an ok print
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
dundun
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:46 pm

jvwoodford wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:29 am
I still think the 'Easter egg' approach can be done well, just look at most Olly Moss pieces. I don't have a problem with that, the problem is when you force it. That's why I feel like limiting his output of ideas (as well as getting better art direction, it's no accident his best pieces have been commissioned by Mondo) would mean more refined pieces get released.
I personally prefer the easter egg approach over likeness only. Likeness is really boring. It's just a glorified form of portraiture. Yeah it takes skill but there are way more people that can draw an actor skillfully than there are people who can be clever. I like Durieux's work because it walks the fine line between both. It makes one think, while still being faithful to the movie. Movie posters with just a bunch of action with no substance are lame. I don't want a poster of some actors on my wall. Might as well just collect one-sheets at that point.

But I agree he needs to get better art direction. The latest release did nothing and lots of his non Mondo stuff is questionable, but his last show at Mondo was a mixed bag...maybe he's peaked?
jvwoodford
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:52 pm

Rear Window is probably my favourite of his overall