Australia a blaze- my thoughts are with you

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:27 am

Tears fill my eyes as see koala bears drinking from water bottles. :(

The poor people .....
the animals .....
the animals .........

Mods: might suggest adding a world events category to the anything goes forum please.
cotis
Art Expert

Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:43 am

Wotta - hope you're doing ok, I know there are more Aussies on EB but you're the first that came to mind.

was just there for a few weeks recently, right before the fires seemingly picked up. hoping for rain in the biggest way possible.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:51 pm

It's pretty bad. The whole Eastern half of my State is on fire. NSW has been hit the worse, and South Australia has it pretty bad too.

It happens every year now, there is just so much bush, and the government doesn't do a whole lot of controlled burning in the colder months.

My local area got hit 10 years ago in one of Australia's worst ever fire seasons. It is now known as Black Saturday. It was horrible, but at least it means there isn't as much bush now to be burned.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_S ... _bushfires

The current fires have either been purposefully lit, or started by dry lightning.

Thanks for the concern guys.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:55 pm

Unfortunately there is no rainforest in Victoria for the next 7 days, but thankfully there are some cooler days mixed in there.
4 days ago it was 43C / 109F, and windy. The worst conditions.
stuarthimsley
Art Expert

Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:45 pm

It's what happens when our corrupt government sells our country. Mining companies have been destroying our land for decades, sucking up millions of litres of water from our already decimated water basins. Look up the death of the Murray Darling Basin for the reality of what happens when you take water from a drought stricken land. Not to mention the open air ash dumps which mining companies aren't legally obligated to bury. Carcinogens anyone? The destruction is continuing too, with Queensland's formally protected Galilee Basin about to opened up to mining. Adani has been granted rights to mine, use the water basin, and dump waste into the Great Barrier Reef. Not to mention the sell off of Victorian water to a Canadian pension fund who now owns 89,085 megalitres of permanent water rights. All of which are happening during the worst drought in years. Our government is spineless and will continue to sell our land to the highest bidder, then when our homes burn our Prime Minister simply tells us to focus on the cricket...

https://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/s ... fdc2042ac6
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:00 pm

At least y'all have X amirite.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
stuarthimsley
Art Expert

Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:10 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:00 pm
At least y'all have X amirite.
Thank god
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:26 am

please keep us updated - if anybody sees a worthy charity to help the koalas, let me know.

i dont have much to give - wish i was there .... would be climbing trees to save those critters. Makes me incredibly sad :(

in star wars lingo - Luke i feel a disturbance in the force :( :(

Always had a special place in my heart for animals, for its my thoughts humans have the ability to make decisions, where as animals are subject to the decisions of humans. :hanging:

thanks for the words Stuart- i had read about the environmental abuse but tend to be cautious of stories unless straight from the affected people..... if you ask me this is also another example of the global warming devastation, magnified by poor human decisions......
cotis
Art Expert

Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:52 am

most of the fire brigade in the country are volunteer, right? so these guys are taking off days/weeks off of work to help fight the fires against their own towns...
clem99
EB Team

Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:10 pm

Grateful69Phish wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:26 am
please keep us updated - if anybody sees a worthy charity to help the koalas, let me know.

i dont have much to give - wish i was there .... would be climbing trees to save those critters. Makes me incredibly sad :(

in star wars lingo - Luke i feel a disturbance in the force :( :(

Always had a special place in my heart for animals, for its my thoughts humans have the ability to make decisions, where as animals are subject to the decisions of humans. :hanging:

thanks for the words Stuart- i had read about the environmental abuse but tend to be cautious of stories unless straight from the affected people..... if you ask me this is also another example of the global warming devastation, magnified by poor human decisions......
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-ka ... R5YQsqB7Vo
art is the only justification for pain :)
fredo
Art God

Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:50 am

Crazy town. Sun was a pink copper at midday in eastern NZ the other day.

just a foil for me today, thanks
DonPiano
Art Expert

Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:11 pm

Going to do a print raffle thing to help raise money. Anyone got a guide on how best to go about that?
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
DonPiano
Art Expert

Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:43 am

If anybody wants to help out, I'm running a giveaway on my facebook page. Just got to donate to an animal care charity.

https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fb ... 3771546325
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
bubbie
Art Expert

Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:03 pm

“Tiny Koalas” is an open edition of archival prints by Tiny Showcase. The print is sized to fit a standard 5" x 5" frame. The artwork measures approximately 4.25” x 4.25”. The prints were created by Tiny Showcase and ship with corresponding certificates of authenticity. The archival artwork has been printed on a heavy 310gsm natural white watercolor paper.

The original piece is gouache and ink on toned watercolor paper.

Available with custom matting. Please allow an extra 2 business days for processing.

50% of the proceeds will be donated to WIRES Australia to help with emergency medical care for wildlife injured in the bushfires. The other 50% will be donated to New South Wales Rural Fire Service to aid the brave volunteer firefighters.

https://www.tinyshowcase.com/tiny-nurse ... y-showcase

$10 for no mat; $16 for matted.