Best/Worst Movies of 2019

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
pvecchi
Art Expert

Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:52 pm

Irishman12 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:57 am
IT CHAPTER TWO

My most anticipated movie of the year after Quentin Tarantino's ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD didn't disappoint! Picking up 27 years later from the events of the first film, Part 2 brings our favorite losers together for round 2 with Pennywise the Clown. Bill Hader as the adult version of Richie Tozier steals the show (much like Finn Wolfhard did in part 1). Bill Skarsgård gives another remarkable performance as Pennywise and with a runtime of 2 hours and 49 minutes, it didn't feel that long and had good pacing throughout. Rumor is there may be a director's cut which will splice the two films together and have a runtime of 5 hours or more (they may add additional scenes as well). My only grip with the film was the use of the de-aging technology. While I appreciate the efforts for continuity and to have the kids look the same way they did in the first film, for me, the technology's not perfect yet and took away from their performance during those scenes. I truly applaud the cast and crew for bringing one of Stephen King's best novels to such an incredible film experience. 8/10

I finally saw this movie this past weekend and found it enjoyable. The brutality of the opening sequence set the tone nicely....
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:00 pm

pvecchi wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:52 pm
Irishman12 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:57 am
IT CHAPTER TWO

My most anticipated movie of the year after Quentin Tarantino's ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD didn't disappoint! Picking up 27 years later from the events of the first film, Part 2 brings our favorite losers together for round 2 with Pennywise the Clown. Bill Hader as the adult version of Richie Tozier steals the show (much like Finn Wolfhard did in part 1). Bill Skarsgård gives another remarkable performance as Pennywise and with a runtime of 2 hours and 49 minutes, it didn't feel that long and had good pacing throughout. Rumor is there may be a director's cut which will splice the two films together and have a runtime of 5 hours or more (they may add additional scenes as well). My only grip with the film was the use of the de-aging technology. While I appreciate the efforts for continuity and to have the kids look the same way they did in the first film, for me, the technology's not perfect yet and took away from their performance during those scenes. I truly applaud the cast and crew for bringing one of Stephen King's best novels to such an incredible film experience. 8/10

I finally saw this movie this past weekend and found it enjoyable. The brutality of the opening sequence set the tone nicely....
I just rewatched it again this week and I still enjoyed it a second time around. Still not as good as part 1, but still an enjoyable film. Looking forward to the director's cut/extended editions if they ever see the light of day.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:00 am

my god. how could they make IT Chapter 2 any longer? its nearly 3 hours and a slog to get through.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:22 pm

35mmpaul wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:00 am
my god. how could they make IT Chapter 2 any longer? its nearly 3 hours and a slog to get through.
Heard rumors of extended editions for both chapters, plus a "definitive/ultimate" cut where they'd use both extended cuts and put them together for one long, version.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:37 pm

that sounds truly horrific
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
Irishman12
Art Expert

Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:36 pm

JUMANJI: THE NEXT LEVEL

The cast from the original is back and while the first was a surprisingly fun ride, this was a disappointment. Bad choice to insert both Danny DeVito and Danny Glover to the mix. You could even make a point about Awkwafina, but she was more tolerable than the other 2. The jokes are what really killed this for me as they just weren't funny, relying on DeVito and Glover to carry most of that load, which they were unable to accomplish. Jack Black tried his best to pull his own weight and out of everybody, he did the best he could considering the material. If you enjoyed the first one, be prepared to be disappointed by this one. 5.5/10
jlabbate
Art Freak

Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:18 pm

Knives out was a lot of fun..terrific cast..and kept me guessing almost to the very end
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:48 pm

RICHARD JEWELL

Clint Eastwood returns about the 1996 Olympics bombing and the security guard, Richard Jewell, who first noticed the bag and began evacuating the area, becoming a hero for his efforts. However, soon after his discovery is made, he is filleted by the media and FBI and becomes the main suspect. I really have enjoyed Paul Walter Hauser's work since I first saw him in I, TONYA. Usually he plays the bumbling idiot and while that is still mainly his role in this film, he does show a dramatic range here. Olivia Wilde is detestable as reporter Kathy Scruggs, who has no morals or conscience to speak of whatsoever, and does whatever she can to get a story. Overall, the movie seems quite repetitive: FBI tries to get Jewell to implicate himself, Jewell assists to clear his name or assist them with their investigation, Jewell's lawyer Watson Bryant (played by Sam Rockwell) yells at him to not cooperate with them, repeat. Could have been a better study at the power of the media and how they can ruin lives when they don't get the facts straight/jump to conclusions. 5.5/10

STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

For anyone who hated THE LAST JEDI, rest assured, JJ Abrams gave you a worthy conclusion to this trilogy. This is on par with THE FORCE AWAKENS (if not better). At times a wonderfully dark film that paces well as the longest Star Wars at 2 hours and 21 minutes. For everything that has been written about this new trilogy over the years, while I was never a big fan of it and I won't miss these characters as much as other characters from the past, I hope this is indeed the end of the cannon. If Disney wants to do spinoffs or movies with new characters, that's fine. I think over the course of the last 40+ years, this cow's been milked dry. 7.5/10

BOMBSHELL

During the previews, I thought Charlize Theron was a spitting image of Megyn Kelly (makeup and wardrobe did a great job with her transformation). As for the story, as you can probably guess going in, this is an attack on Roger Ailes and Fox News so a certain amount of salt must be taken while viewing this film. However, all politics aside I do think John Lithgow shined in his portrayal of misogynistic Fox News President/CEO Roger Ailes. I had high hopes for this as judging from the previews, this to me had kind of a THE BIG SHORT/VICE vibe to it and I really enjoyed those movies. With this film, I think it was at times, all over the place. Theron is the star and then from time to time they'd pepper Gretchen Carlson (played by Nicole Kidman) and Kayla Pospisil (Margot Robbie) stories in. However, the film should have done a better job of making up its mind: focus on Theron strictly or fleshing out the Carlson/Pospisil stories more. A little disappointing but good performances all around. 6/10

BLACK CHRISTMAS

The second remake of the 1974 classic and this was by far the worst. If you're a fan of horror and can look past the excessive amount of misandry throughout the film, then you may enjoy it. However, it's so obvious and heavy handed that as a male, yeah, I had a problem with it. Not to mention the entire third act which was an absolute trainwreck and story wise, too ludicrous. Women will whine and complain about not getting enough representation to make movies, however, when they make garbage such as this or CHARLIE'S ANGELS, and they segregate half of the population, don't be surprised when it bombs at the box office! 4/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:14 pm

UNCUT GEMS

This looked pretty interesting from the previews and at times it seemed to move pretty fast but at other times, it seemed to repeat itself. Honestly, one of, if not the best Adam Sandler role I've ever seen him in. I'd like to say he deserves at least an Academy Award nomination for this, but with all of the other competition (some of which I agree with and some of which I don't), I wouldn't be surprised if they squeezed him out of the Best Actor category. I also thought they found an interesting way to incorporate Kevin Garnett throughout the film, as he is an integral part in the film and doesn't just make a cameo. An interesting study of sports gambling addiction with a depressing ending. 6.5/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:54 pm

With 2019 coming to a close, here's my top ten list for the year. Curious what some of yours looks like:

1) JOKER
2) MIDSOMMAR
3) AVENGERS: ENDGAME
4) ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD
5) THE IRISHMAN
6) SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME
7) IT: CHAPTER TWO
8 ) STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER
9) KNIVES OUT
10) READY OR NOT
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:37 pm

Still waiting for a ton to actually come out around here that I want to see from 2019. At the moment - and this typically grows a great deal during the first 8 weeks of the new year - my favorites are:

1. Parasite
2. The Lighthouse
3. Midsommar
4. Transit
5. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
6. Climax

Still need to see:

Uncut Gems (sometime this week); Portrait of a Lady on Fire; Little Women (probably Monday); A Hidden Life; Atlantics; An Elephant Sitting Still; Ash is Purest White; Synonyms; The Nightingale; Tigers are Not Afraid; Beanpole; The Wild Goose Lake; It Must Be Heaven; Synchronic; [forgetting a few I’m sure]

Saw other stuff this year, most of it was decent to good, but not really worth putting on a best of list.
deancc
Art Expert

Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:02 am

iwokeinrelief wrote:
Still waiting for a ton to actually come out around here that I want to see from 2019. At the moment - and this typically grows a great deal during the first 8 weeks of the new year - my favorites are:

1. Parasite
2. The Lighthouse
3. Midsommar
4. Transit
6. Climax

Still need to see:

Uncut Gems (sometime this week); Portrait of a Lady on Fire; Little Women (probably Monday); A Hidden Life; Atlantics; An Elephant Sitting Still; Ash is Purest White; Synonyms; The Nightingale; Tigers are Not Afraid; Beanpole; The Wild Goose Lake; It Must Be Heaven; Synchronic; [forgetting a few I’m sure]

Saw other stuff this year, most of it was decent to good, but not really worth putting on a best of list.
Good list. Cannot wait to see The Lighthouse, but it won't play here till Feb. Also Uncut Gems, Little Women and A Hidden Life in 2020.

The Nightingale and An Elephant Sitting Still are solid, but do not skip Portrait of a Lady on Fire. Truly exceptional.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:44 am

deancc wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:02 am
iwokeinrelief wrote:

1. Parasite
2. The Lighthouse
3. Midsommar
4. Transit
6. Climax

Still need to see:

Good list. Cannot wait to see The Lighthouse, but it won't play here till Feb. Also Uncut Gems, Little Women and A Hidden Life in 2020.

The Nightingale and An Elephant Sitting Still are solid, but do not skip Portrait of a Lady on Fire. Truly exceptional.
Great to hear on Portrait - besides Parasite it’s been the top of my list since Cannes, just need the damn thing to play around here.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:19 am

The new Little Women was a goddamn delight.
DonPiano
Art Expert

Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:42 am

This is my top films of the year list:

https://www.thecurb.com.au/andrews-top-films-of-2019/

Keep in mind, I'm in Australia so some of these were only released here in 2019.

For the lazy:

20. The Hate U Give
19. Rocketman
18. Happy Sad Man
17. Cold Pursuit
16. Hot Mess
15. Thunder Road
14. The King
13. The Guilty
12. Wild Rose
11. Destroyer
10. 6 Undergroun
9. Call Connect.
8. Martha: A Picture Story
7. Pain and Glory
6. Koko: A Red Dog Story
5. Booksmart
4. If Beale Street Could Talk
3. Burning
2. It All Started With a Stale Sandwich
1. Portrait of a Lady on Fire
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.