A Wretched Hive - The Star Wars Movie Thread

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:29 pm

ccsmd598 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:37 am
I'm just here for Wonka's scathing review :lol:
I'll report back ASAP! :pint:
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:33 pm

wonkabars7 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:29 pm
ccsmd598 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:37 am
I'm just here for Wonka's scathing review :lol:
I'll report back ASAP! :pint:
Popcorn ready :lol:
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!
SPAC04
Art Expert

Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:08 pm

Saw it last night...t looked great at least. Shades of fan fic plot lines. Wish they just did a Grand Admiral Thrawn angle in leiu of kinda ruining the franchise with poor uninspired plot recycling and thinly veiled social-political leanings that shouldn't exist a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away. Also climatic plot hole with the Palatine's plan (that he dumbly revealed) was ignored (right?) in that his plan was for Rey to kill him and Sith her out, then she did and it didn't happen(?). One big reason I really loved "Rogue One" was the sacrifice of ALL the central characters for a noble cause, ROTS was too precious with the core protagonist characters as NO ONE died except deep fake Leia who should have died in the beginning of TLJ with the rest of the republic leadership (ACKBAR!) until she Mary popped back in. Thought Chewie SHOULD HAVE died cause that fudge was deep but again lack of commitment. Also according to the pairing in the end no one got laid for their heroic efforts. Boo -. Did love the Emperor and his Sith Cult depiction. Wasted opportunities. The king is dead, Mandalorian is my only hope.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:55 pm

My review!

earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:16 am

drymounting absolutely loved it! Shocked how much I enjoyed it, from the opening crawl to the last scene. Sure, I could pick apart a lot of things but overall I thought it was a tremendous end to the whole shebang. How amazing that this story that started in 1976 has now finished here in 2019. I’m fully satisfied with the entire arc.
Thinker
Art Connoisseur

Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:41 pm

Just saw it.

You have to hand it to JJ Abrams, I really think he did the best with what he had. I don't know how anyone could really walk away from that and say it was "good" though/ But whatever these things are subjective.

It's a real shame how much this trilogy suffered from the mess that was TLJ. Really wish we would have seen a JJ Abrams Episode 8 and then, consequently, what an episode 9 would have look liked with the proper setup. The whole Palpatine thing would have been great as an Episode 8 cliffhanger and something established BEFORE this movie started. Putting all 3 of these movies together sort of feels like 3 movies forced to fit together. -- Ironic considering it was known from the beginning this would be a trilogy, whereas the original trilogy that was not the case.

I don't know why everyone hates on Fan Service. To me its the most enjoyable part of these movies. Favorite parts included Chewie getting his medal and them flashing back to young luke/leia training in the woods - that was drymounting awesome. Something I really wanted to see. Love that we got a Leia Lightsaber and a Yellow Rey lightsaber at the end. Loved all that fanboy stuff, I don't care.

A lot of dumb things though. Finn should just not be force sensitive - too late for that. I hate Oscar Isaac in all these movies. great actor but Poe is just an obnoxious person.

This movie made me dislike Rian Johnson more. Trilogy could have been really great. the most important part is the middle.
cotis
Art Expert

Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:03 am

lotta people butt hurt about Rose not being the next hero in this series.
MooseThompson
Art Connoisseur

Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:29 pm

cotis wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:03 am
lotta people butt hurt about Rose not being the next hero in this series.
I'm not sure how interested she could have been in a major role after the fudge she got online following TLJ.
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:36 pm

None of the core group (Finn, Rose or Poe) would make for a compelling lead honestly.
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:48 pm

Was a nice end. .... now I'm ready for some other stories. I know I'm in the minority but this is part of why I like Star Wars Resistance as its all new characters not tied into the big skywalker drama. Looking forward to more stuff like The Mandalorian.
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:59 pm

davemfan
Art Connoisseur

Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:41 pm

Spoiler alert

seriously though, who had sex with palps? What did finn want so badly to tell Rey that he never got around to doing?
ImageImageImage
mike123230
Art Expert

Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:54 am

I loved it. I read some of these reviews about how it was a squandered opportunity, or wasn't bold enough, or whatever the drymount. It's a movie about people using magic in space, where even major stars can't resist going "pew pew pew" when they fire a blaster. It's meant to be drymounting fun. It's not meant to be Citizen Kane. I walked out thinking it stuck the landing and can't wait to watch it again.
pjsteelerfan
Art Expert

Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:35 am

BENYOUNG20 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:48 pm
Was a nice end. .... now I'm ready for some other stories. I know I'm in the minority but this is part of why I like Star Wars Resistance as its all new characters not tied into the big skywalker drama. Looking forward to more stuff like The Mandalorian.
I agree. I hope they go further in the future timeline wise away from the Skywalker/Palpatine stuff. Or go way back in the past and adapt something like Knights of the Old Republic.

And get someone to make an outline of what story you want to tell and where you want it to go. Preferably a fan of the franchise and its lore. And if writers/directors don't want to be a part of that, find ones that do.
cotis
Art Expert

Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:13 am

davemfan wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:41 pm
Spoiler alert

seriously though, who had sex with palps? What did finn want so badly to tell Rey that he never got around to doing?
I think it was that he knew Rey's true parents/grandparents. my take away was that Leia told him because she trusted him.