Watchmen on HBO

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
jkw3000
EB Team

Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:54 pm

Pretty much.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
finneganm
Art Freak

Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:55 pm

I’m interested to see how people who have no background in Watchmen feel about the show. The production value is top notch.
The acting is top notch.
The writing is top notch.
But I feel like it would be completely bonkers without having read Watchmen/watched the movie. Minimum of three times.

Big kudos to HBO for green-lighting this, as the pitch must have been ridiculous.
That's what she said
jkw3000
EB Team

Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:04 am

Same here. I feel like the crux of the Will/Angela element has been incredibly strong and could thrive as its own standalone story, but so many of the HOLY fudge moments for me have come from how well it expands on the original Watchmen's themes. Currently putting it through the missus to see if it reads as bonkers, though she's read the original - albeit once, a long time ago, but that's as good as I'm going to find right now.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:05 am

finneganm wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:33 pm
Best show on television right now?
Duh.
finneganm wrote:
I’m interested to see how people who have no background in Watchmen feel about the show. The production value is top notch.
The acting is top notch.
But I feel like it would be completely bonkers without having read Watchmen/watched the movie. Minimum of three times.

Big kudos to HBO for green-lighting this, as the pitch must have been ridiculous.
I've neva read the books, saw the movie once, and recall next to nothing about it. I feel like they're doing a pretty good job at explaining the necessary backstory as they go. It's also quite possible I have no idea what's going on.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
SPAC04
Art Expert

Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:50 am

Codeblue wrote:
finneganm wrote:
Duh.
finneganm wrote:
The acting is top notch.

I've neva read the books, saw the movie once, and recall next to nothing about it. I feel like they're doing a pretty good job at explaining the necessary backstory as they go. It's also quite possible I have no idea what's going on.
I'd always been an Alan Moore fan (From Hell, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, V for Vendetta) but it wasn't till about a year ago I finally read the graphic novel after seeing the film and enjoying it, read it in a night. This show is an amazingly realized adaptation that does a great job on providing current social commentary while keeping with the integrity and continuity of the original story. I would recommend the book but for those with limited time the 2009 film is pretty much a shot for shot adaptation with only slight variations (read:squid).

Irons as Viedt is outstanding. Anticipating the continuation of Wade (LG)'s arc. Only show on any network that I am left guessing as to where the story is headed/genuinely 100 percent invested in the characters (at least since Sopranos but that is another thing entirely).

Bravo HBO.
SPAC04
Art Expert

Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:53 am

SPAC04 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:10 am
idk if any of y'all been following this, but its pretty interesting/involved (apologies for long link).

https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia?camp=GOO ... lsrc=aw.ds
also again to those who appreciate the insanely detailed backstory/Easter eggs/fleshing out of the universe...and have the time to pour over PDF docs.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:39 pm

Codeblue wrote:
finneganm wrote:
Duh.
finneganm wrote:
The acting is top notch.

Same, basically exact same. I've got a general understanding about the themes of the book, I also go on the Watchmen subreddit and do some reading on the episodes. I'm sure for a huge fan of the source material the show has some insane moments that people never thought they'd see and it's at a height I can't get to, but it's still working on a great level for me as a non-reader of the source material
pjsteelerfan
Art Expert

Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:00 pm

Cinlabyrinth wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:39 pm
Codeblue wrote:
finneganm wrote:
Duh.
finneganm wrote:
The acting is top notch.

Same, basically exact same. I've got a general understanding about the themes of the book, I also go on the Watchmen subreddit and do some reading on the episodes. I'm sure for a huge fan of the source material the show has some insane moments that people never thought they'd see and it's at a height I can't get to, but it's still working on a great level for me as a non-reader of the source material
Yeah, Having enjoyed the books and the movie, the show is a great follow up. One of the rare seasons on TV where every episode is better than the last. I really hope they stick the landing this weekend.
SPAC04
Art Expert

Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:07 pm

I enjoyed the finale. Viedt is awesome. LG has shades of Rorschach.
finneganm
Art Freak

Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:23 pm

Fantastic job wrapping things up. Overall a great series. Acting/writing/production all top notch.

I just wrote out, “I can’t remember the last time I was so excited for new episodes of anything as much as I have been excited for new episodes of this.” When it hit me that the last show I thought was this good was The Leftovers. Guess I’m just a big Lindelof fan.
That's what she said
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:06 pm

It is making me want to go back and give that show another chance.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
finneganm
Art Freak

Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:44 pm

I stand behind saying seasons 2 & 3 of Leftovers is some of the best television ever made.
That's what she said
YellowBedwetter
Art Expert

Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:36 pm

finneganm wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:44 pm
I stand behind saying seasons 2 & 3 of Leftovers is some of the best television ever made.
Did you watch the first season of True Detective? I never gave The Leftovers a chance so curious what you thought of Harrelson/McConaughey in TD.
finneganm
Art Freak

Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:07 pm

First season was lightning in a bottle. Chemistry between the two actors was impressive and the whole production was top notch all the way through.
That's what she said
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:14 am

Might as well just pretend there's only one season of TD.