Best/Worst Movies of 2019

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:28 pm

its a lovely film worth seeing. and gains alot by making Rodgers more or less the antagonist of the movie.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:34 pm

KNIVES OUT

The modern day Agatha Christie tale of a millionaire who dies under mysterious circumstances. An all-star cast lead by Daniel Craig as Detective Benoit Blanc. The first 30-45 minutes the film really grips you and throws a lot of information your way. It's a roller coaster of a ride with humor, various storylines, and character introductions. The film is fast paced and for 130 minutes, flies by fairly quickly (with the exception of about midway into the film, where 2-3 characters are then solely focused on). I found the film to drag a bit during this portion but then the third act makes up for it with the reveal. A fun ride that I would be more than happy to ride again as well as see another story with Detective Blanc if Craig or Director Rian Johnson were so inclined to spin another tale for us. 7.5/10
DonPiano
Art Expert

Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:46 am

Frozen II is quite good.
The Dead Don't Die is horrible.
Two Heads Creek is unmissable.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:49 am

DonPiano wrote:
Hmm. Doesn’t look like that’s made it’s way over here yet.

Saw Doctor Sleep this weekend and throughly enjoyed it. Flanagan remains on my list of must-watch directors.
DonPiano
Art Expert

Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:53 pm

iwokeinrelief wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:49 am
DonPiano wrote:
Hmm. Doesn’t look like that’s made it’s way over here yet.
May not be out for a bit. No idea what the release plan is, but I can guarantee, once it lands in America it'll get people buzzing. You guys over there lap up horror, and it's right in the great horror/comedy wheelhouse.
The Curb

Irishman12
Art Expert

Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:33 pm

THE IRISHMAN

I never thought I'd see Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Joe Pesci, and Martin Scorsese work on a film together, but here we finally are! Pacino and De Niro are back on their game and Pesci, coerced out of retirement, puts together an as equally strong performance. Many Scorsese alum are seen throughout and even the de-aging technology was top notch and actually aided the film, rather than take away from it. My only 2 gripes with the film were the lack of a solid Scorsese soundtrack that we've come to expect from him and the runtime. I did enjoy the film thoroughly, but even at 3 1/2 hours, it was rather long. 8/10
fredo
Art God

Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:44 pm

3.5 hours?!?! Jesus.

ps Every single latter-day review (not you, Irishman. You're just posting here:
"I really liked/didn't like the cast and writing and cinematography and music and did/didn't mind the runtime. Some might or might not agree, depending on what you like/dislike. People you know did their usual things and it reminded me of Kubrick or someone else. I give it a couple stars out of a few more stars."
just a foil for me today, thanks
DonPiano
Art Expert

Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:14 am

I really liked The Irishman. It's a solid film. But, yeah, it's long, but it's also the point of the film. Its length reinforces the themes and subject matter.
The Curb

fredo
Art God

Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:50 am

Solid observation!
just a foil for me today, thanks
DonPiano
Art Expert

Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:49 am

It's one I came to after experiencing three and a half hours of Irish men.
The Curb

35mmpaul
Art Expert

Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:05 am

I've seen it twice and while it is long it doesn't feel that long. Absolutely worth seeing.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
jpicken
Art Connoisseur

Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:45 am

Ford v. Ferrari was pretty solid. Bale was amazing. The way the racing scenes were captured on film was breathtaking.
ImageX5
SPAC04
Art Expert

Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:29 pm

Loved the Irishman. Great performances from everyone cast, even bit parts. Thought the soundtrack was solid too, good to see a Scorsese film without the same Fleetwood Mac songs a its climax. Great stuff.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:05 pm

21 BRIDGES

Didn't have much of a desire to see this after viewing the trailer but a friend of mine wanted to go so I decided to take a flier on it. The opening act really grabbed my attention with the opening robbery scene and thought I might have undervalued this film. Taylor Kitsch was the high point of the film in that first act but by the third act, the film lost all of it's momentum and went out with a whimper. Chadwick Boseman was enjoyable in the lead role, although I never found myself backing his "cool guy" persona he was trying so desperately to convey throughout the film. 6/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:21 pm

DARK WATERS

This film focuses on DuPont poisoning residents in West Virginia for decades. Mark Ruffalo, an environmental attorney, takes the case on for one of the locals. While I applaud the film for being able to sift through the almost 20 years this case went through from beginning to end, to present a digestible and comprehensive account of what happened, the story at times seems to be spotty. And while I am a big Anne Hathaway fan (and to a lesser extent, a Mark Ruffalo fan as well), both seem to mail in their performances. Hathaway as the "this case is costing you your family because your never home" wife, who ever once in a while has a breakdown. Whereas Ruffalo seems dazed throughout with the exception of a few times he actually gets emotional and passionate. Interesting subject, but averagely executed. 6/10