General art-related discussion.
Bantler
Art Enthusiast

Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:31 pm

jjbehren wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:30 pm
partpat wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:47 am
people who think that Banksy or his team are reading the thread to select worthy winners.
This is the kind of gold I was hoping for. So they're a bunch of delusional narcissists. Got it.

PS - I kinda wish I would have bought a Welcome Mat.

EDIT: I just checked Ebay. Now I really wish I would have bought a Welcome Mat.
You can sort the items by popularity. Interesting.

I tried to skim the UAA thread but I went numb. Excitable bunch of folks.

To break it down....you actually wish you had 10K dollars. ..
jjbehren
Flipper

Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:52 pm

Did you all read the T&C? Did you see this little bit?
Applications will be grouped by the item selected and by time period (relating to the date and time they are received by us). One or more time periods per item will be selected at random by an independent third party and only applications received during the selected time period(s) will proceed to vetting.
Interesting. I wonder if the "time periods" are all equal amounts of time? Or are they broken down by application numbers so there are equal number of applications per period? If the former, in theory you'd have a better chance of winning if you submit you application during a slow time. Each time period has an equal chance of being picked, but the fewer applications within that time period, the better your odds.
Bantler
Art Enthusiast

Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:15 pm

But of course there is no way to determine what a "slow-time" is.

I like this bit from T/C (probably already discussed).

We will not issue a Certificate of Authenticity for an item until the second anniversary of the date of purchase. Certificates will be sent to the purchaser at the delivery address for the relevant item. Please be sure to tell us if your details change.
SPAC04
Art Expert

Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:42 pm

This post is to be taken with salt*

I'm sorry if you feel that this post is too long and/or annoying, i know I got sick of it ten seconds after starting it's composition.

I'm a Banksy fan (though I truly never met a single person who does not like his work). I enjoy his work both aesthetically and ideologically (really the only artist that makes art with an societal ideology that I believe and respect) . He is also the only artist who makes me actually laugh with any sort of consistency just using often simple imagery.

I know it been brought up by soupy and iwish that maybe the mats were really the only item for sale irl, the rest meant to be a gag or the like (?). I don't think this to be the case, if it is its very honorable on Banksy's part/ lame for those who want Banksy swag (prob everyone tbh). All this GDP stuff centers around a narrative involving intellectual property rights and Banksy gear and a small unknown greeting card company called "Full Color Black" selling cards (akin to those that the British Museum was selling recently with "masked Gorilla" and "Well Hung Man") all set up to link the sale to the GDP mats, massive profit for the cause, Banksy keeps his(/her) artist integrity, we all look like dunce for writing our appeals but are bettered from the experience because it's funny and makes his most entitled fans prob question their own (rather strong) senses of materialism/ entitlement etc (aside from those who purchased the mat of course).

*^I don't think this to be the case, though it is practical conspiracy in regards to Banksy's motives/method.

HOWEVER

Part of the conspiracy loving child/idiot in me imagines that Banksy and company set up the card company/ legal battle in order to easier establish a method to sell his merch while still being #sostreet as this whole event is unfolding to protect his intellectual property rights and therefore will not appear to be cashing in and betraying himself and those fans/collectors who value his message and integrity.

*Creation of this post was spurred by the fact that Full Color Black site has been under construction as of the past day and you cant bypass without clicking "i understand" :
FCB disclaimer:SITE MAINTENANCE
From 24/10/19 12:00 GMT to 25/10/19 17:00 GMT we are carrying out Site Maintenance to fix and upgrade some of our features, the site is still operational and you can still place your orders, but some aspects of the site may look broken.
Not enough evidence at all to make any claims, I just really enjoy thinking/talking about this. It is exciting, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it all shakes out. Good Luck everyone! Hope to see some EBer's selected, sincerely.

TL DR

HOT TAKE: "Full color Black" is Banksy ('s people) set up in order to justify the sale of items which would otherwise be judged by core fans of the worlds most popular artist to be selling tat just for the money a la MBW/ obey (to an extent).
shyofnormal
Art Enthusiast

Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:38 pm

jjbehren wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:30 pm
partpat wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:47 am
people who think that Banksy or his team are reading the thread to select worthy winners.
This is the kind of gold I was hoping for. So they're a bunch of delusional narcissists. Got it.

PS - I kinda wish I would have bought a Welcome Mat.

EDIT: I just checked Ebay. Now I really wish I would have bought a Welcome Mat.
The fine folks at love welcomes don’t understand the ridiculous prices of the welcome mats on the secondary market:

“There will be more available from us so there is no point paying more on the secondary market!!”
Laguy34
Art Connoisseur

Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:50 pm

They also announced to the waiting list that they won’t be able to accommodate all of the waiting list people. So they are not unlimited
applehead
Art Expert

Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:13 pm

What is on the menu for the 2nd round of the lotto? And will people who entered the first lotto be excluded?
HisBobness
Art Expert

Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:34 pm

I went for the rat clock.
bubbie
Art Expert

Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:39 pm

Laguy34 wrote:
They also announced to the waiting list that they won’t be able to accommodate all of the waiting list people. So they are not unlimited
That’s not true.
southerngarden
Art Expert

Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:49 am

I went for a spray can.
I wonder how it will all turn out in the end.
Loving all the crazy theories.
Laguy34
Art Connoisseur

Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:44 am

bubbie wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:39 pm
Laguy34 wrote:
That’s not true.
Dear friend,

I wanted to send you an email to say that we are sorry you were not able to purchase a Banksy Welcome Mat in the first batch to be created, but we have added you to the waiting list for the next batch.

We have been overwhelmed by the interest in the mats and our work giving refugee women a brighter future. We really value your support.

This collaboration with Banksy has helped refugees to find self worth, dignity and hope. Living in a refugee camp shouldn’t stop your dreams, this is keeping hope alive.

When the next batch of mats are released then we will email the waiting list first to let you know. Sadly we can’t guarantee a mat for everyone on the list as demand is so high, but we will at least be able to inform you first. At this point in time we do not have a date for the next batch to be released.

If you want to be kept updated on our work then you are also welcome to join our newsletter list lovewelcomes.org/pages/newsletter

Each time you buy a Love Welcomes product you’re supporting a refugee and their family as they begin to rebuild lives shattered by war, one stitch at a time.

Thank you for your support,

Yours sincerely,

Abi, Co-founder, Love Welcomes

You were saying......
Kramerica
Art Freak

Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:29 am

Sounds like they can't guarantee you one from the next batch. It doesn't sound like that will be all they produce. My interpretation, anyway.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:51 pm

Ya can bet, they'll make as many as they can for as long as they can for as long as Banksy lets em.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
bubbie
Art Expert

Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:35 pm

Kramerica wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:29 am
Sounds like they can't guarantee you one from the next batch. It doesn't sound like that will be all they produce. My interpretation, anyway.
But if I interpret it this way, then I can’t flip mine for 5 gs.
bubbie
Art Expert

Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:35 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:51 pm
Ya can bet, they'll make as many as they can for as long as they can for as long as Banksy lets em.
Question is, will they all be signed and have his peen print at the back like the first batch?