New Banksy Print

General art-related discussion.
Thinker
Art Connoisseur

Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:22 pm

fredo wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:46 am
Or the real one.
Not sure what "real" world you're living in but on Earth words have definitions.
DickButt
Art Expert

Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:24 pm

Thinker wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:23 am
DickButt wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:31 am
Thinker wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:23 pm
Any speculation on what "Unlimited" actually means? I mean.... Not everyone who goes for one of the unlimited items is really going to get one right? Although he does make it a point multiple places throughout the site to say "IF" demand outweighs supply then - ect. Could be a little Banksy game to reward the less greedy? Total speculation, I have no idea. Don't jump on me for it.

Also wondering how the not yet available items play into this 10/28 deadline and your one shot per IP thing. If those don't become available by the 28th then what do you think the point is of having them there?

Fun to think about. I love that Banksy exists.
Unlimited likely means what that word means in the basic sense of it - not limited. It probably doesn't mean "we're gonna make a million shirts if we get a million orders" but more like "we don't have an exact edition size and we'll try to make a lot but there's only so much we can do with the materials we have".
Right, that's limited though.
Ok fine, it’s limited the same way a 2008 Honda Civic is limited.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:00 pm

If Banksy doesn’t continue producing them until the heat death of the universe it’s false advertising and we should sue.
Thinker
Art Connoisseur

Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:37 pm

DickButt wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:24 pm
Thinker wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:23 am
DickButt wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:31 am
Thinker wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:23 pm
Any speculation on what "Unlimited" actually means? I mean.... Not everyone who goes for one of the unlimited items is really going to get one right? Although he does make it a point multiple places throughout the site to say "IF" demand outweighs supply then - ect. Could be a little Banksy game to reward the less greedy? Total speculation, I have no idea. Don't jump on me for it.

Also wondering how the not yet available items play into this 10/28 deadline and your one shot per IP thing. If those don't become available by the 28th then what do you think the point is of having them there?

Fun to think about. I love that Banksy exists.
Unlimited likely means what that word means in the basic sense of it - not limited. It probably doesn't mean "we're gonna make a million shirts if we get a million orders" but more like "we don't have an exact edition size and we'll try to make a lot but there's only so much we can do with the materials we have".
Right, that's limited though.
Ok fine, it’s limited the same way a 2008 Honda Civic is limited.
Now we talking the way it was limited in 2008 or the way it's limited now?

Just kidding. I get what you saying.
chalkdust
Art Expert

Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:24 pm

between the Honda Civics and the Fairey Obama posters, 2008 was a flipper's hayday
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:54 pm

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
IWish
Art Expert

Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:48 pm

Okay....so, if the mats are the only item that can be purchased . (Not sayin' for sure that's the case, but IF they are.) Will the sale of mats only satisfy the legal issue that brought about this ordeal?
fredo
Art God

Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:38 pm

Sorry but I’m gonna need you to say definitively whether or not the mats are the only things for sale before I answer any legal questions.
just a foil for me today, thanks
mike123230
Art Expert

Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:49 am

IWish wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:48 pm
Okay....so, if the mats are the only item that can be purchased . (Not sayin' for sure that's the case, but IF they are.) Will the sale of mats only satisfy the legal issue that brought about this ordeal?
Interesting read here: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20191 ... -law.shtml
IWish
Art Expert

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:19 am

mike123230 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:49 am

Interesting read here: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20191 ... -law.shtml
Uh-huh. This is the kind of material that interests me. Thanks!

I did a quick read-through of the article...good stuff relating to the laws involved. After more coffee, I'll read more thoroughly - I don't know if I'll be able to determine if Banksy has side-stepped further legal action by way of the online sale (approach) of the charity mats. Trademark use in lieu of copyright...etc.
EG8
Art Expert

Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:44 pm

Honestly if this is true it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Give us a way to get your art. Take a page from Shep.
Image Image Image
kcn0
Art Expert

Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:50 pm

Well... this will be Bansky's testament. I love some of his works... absolutely love them. I'm sure he has struggles with how to improve his brand and diversify himself from his "competition". I truly think that this has become an empire for his management, and it has completely shifted from being an artist with a passion/message.

How do you become a living Picasso? How do you create artwork that has extreme value, without the limitation of death/no possibility of additional works? Well, at the moment, he is nearing that success... possibly accomplished it.

From a business standpoint, do you want to sell to VIPs only, making millions a year by selling a few original pieces and small runs? Or... do you flood the market, destroy the elusiveness, and hope... just hope... that you can maintain your brand in the long run?

I'm hoping I'm wrong, but why would you create an "application" system for all non-limited editions? Why not just openly sell them? Do you honestly think ANYONE, especially someone as funded/connected as Banksy, can't find a 3rd party company to mass produce simple products on his behalf? I'm afraid that this store is simply a shell.... only allowing the sale of a few products to feed part of the market while keeping the perceived value of historic and future pieces high.

Honestly, I would love to have some "official" Banksy art, but honestly, his pieces (secondary market) are completely out of my league. I doubt he is looking to make this dramatic shift this late in his career.
Main ISOs: Stout "Pulp Fiction" & anything Phlegm
talkingdeads
Art Expert

Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:17 pm

I hope the actual art piece offered is an enormous book of people’s names and short explanations of why they believe they deserve a banksy. Free to download to all that participated
breathalyzer
Art Enthusiast

Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:33 pm

talkingdeads wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:17 pm
I hope the actual art piece offered is an enormous book of people’s names and short explanations of why they believe they deserve a banksy. Free to download to all that participated
or an elaborate hoax to "steal" information
acidburn
Art Daddy

Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:06 pm

kcn0 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:50 pm

From a business standpoint, do you want to sell to VIPs only, making millions a year by selling a few original pieces and small runs? Or... do you flood the market, destroy the elusiveness, and hope... just hope... that you can maintain your brand in the long run?

Technically Kaws has been doing just fine flirting with that line. His auction prices have never been higher and his "open edition" toys that help him connect to his base that can't afford secondary pieces are killing it. And if there is one other artist I would trust to not destroy his market while doing so as well, its Banksy.