Pet Peeves- Vent Here! Let me feel your pain.

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
ldiddy
Art Expert

Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:06 pm

Yeah that's annoying. People that go to the post office unprepared and ask the person at the desk to do "it" for them. And people that go to the post office and yell at the person trying to help them, virtually guaranteeing that your package will be "lost" - similar to yelling at someone cooking your food, it's just not a good idea.
bubbie
Art Expert

Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:49 pm

Irregardless. Why do people think it’s a word?
jjttdw
Art Expert

Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:59 pm

bubbie wrote:
Maybe it is not a word in Canada, eh.

irregardless
adverb

ir·​re·​gard·​less | \ ˌir-i-ˈgärd-ləs \
Definition of irregardless
nonstandard
: REGARDLESS
I told them that irregardless of what you read in books, they's some members of the theatrical profession that occasionally visits the place where they sleep.
— Ring Lardner

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

Maybe my pet peeve today is people claiming words are not words (sorry bubbie...had to do it)

:D
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:06 pm

Also luls @ thinking that a postal worker is going to commit a federal crime just cuz ya tell them they don't know wtf they're doing. I've had to "educate" several postal workers even as recently as this week.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
rubberneck
Art God

Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:20 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:06 pm
Also luls @ thinking that a postal worker is going to commit a federal crime just cuz ya tell them they don't know wtf they're doing. I've had to "educate" several postal workers even as recently as this week.
Yup. Trying to make it feel as if they are doing you the favor and getting aggressive or dismissive if something is not exactly right on the paperwork.

And having to hear how they are understaffed or didn't get their break while they serve you. :roll:

They prey on the apprehension and fear some have while there. I've had a few confrontations over time with em too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
bubbie
Art Expert

Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:57 pm

jjttdw wrote:
bubbie wrote:

irregardless
adverb

nonstandard
I told them that irregardless of what you read in books, they's some members of the theatrical profession that occasionally visits the place where they sleep.
— Ring Lardner

Maybe my pet peeve today is people claiming words are not words (sorry bubbie...had to do it)

Lol. Yes, we in Canada are aware of that. Irregardless of what many dictionaries say (not all dictionaries recognize it as a word), it’s not a word. I can see in my head how some hillbilly was using it for the very first time many decades ago, looking important and all. One of those lowlifes with yellow/brown teeth and a hell of a case of gingivitis from a western movie. Perhaps, he just shot a sherif and is playing a lawman, about to hang a black fella and invents the “word” referring to the paper that indicates that the man is, in fact, a free man...

GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:16 am

If my wife says "literally" one more goddamn time I think I'm going to lose it
I'm not someone else.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:37 am

GoBluePanic wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:16 am
If my wife says "literally" one more goddamn time I think I'm going to lose it
lol. Just say the following everytime she uses it: "literally? are you sure it isn't figuratively?" Doesn't matter the context. She will do some combination of the following in response:

1. realize she overuses the word and take corrective measures
2. point out words you overuse
3. go through the laundry list of things you do that annoy her
4. kill you in your sleep
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:58 am

:lol: I'm pretty sure she may be planning #4 already so that may just be the final push
I'm not someone else.
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:07 am

bubbie wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:57 pm
jjttdw wrote:
bubbie wrote:

irregardless
adverb

nonstandard
— Ring Lardner

Lol. Yes, we in Canada are aware of that. Irregardless of what many dictionaries say (not all dictionaries recognize it as a word), it’s not a word. I can see in my head how some hillbilly was using it for the very first time many decades ago, looking important and all. One of those lowlifes with yellow/brown teeth and a hell of a case of gingivitis from a western movie. Perhaps, he just shot a sherif and is playing a lawman, about to hang a black fella and invents the “word” referring to the paper that indicates that the man is, in fact, a free man...

All words were made up at some point, it doesn't make them any less of a word.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:47 pm

No, but using them makes one sound stupid.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:53 pm

Kramerica wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:47 pm
No, but using them makes one sound stupid.
Shakespeare and Mark Twain may disagree....
Kramerica
Art Freak

Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:39 pm

They also may sound stupid.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
jjttdw
Art Expert

Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:11 pm

Mama always said, "stupid is as stupid does."

hunterjax
Art Expert

Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:27 pm

jjttdw wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:37 am
3. go through the laundry list of things you do that annoy her
been there done that.

And I'm with Bubbie on "irregardless" . . . it's not a word. Or it's a word that is so stupid, only America would put it in a dictionary.