Im moving my collection. Can anyone offer some moving tips?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
southerngarden
Art Expert

Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:47 am

Not just because of the Hurricane possibilities down here, but that is a part of it.
Im moving my entire collection from my current home into a much safer storage unit, where I have recently put a much larger and better flat file cabinet. Can anyone give me some tips on how to move a large collection of flat prints, all in Mylar sleeves from one location to another without the risk of damage? I was thinking of sandwiching small stacks between large, stiff pieces of cardboard. any help would be appreciated. thanks.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:14 pm

If you want to be super safe use 1/4" plywood. Your home improvement store will cut to any size you want.

Plywood / cardboard / art / cardboard / plywood

Use binder clips to keep it all together.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
theperfecttree
EB Team

Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:37 pm

ugh, moving art sucks. jjttdw's recommendation sounds great. I bascially did that but without the plywood and I used additional cardboard to cover the edges/corners so nothing could slide out. I only had to travel a few miles but it was a ton of prep work. hope it goes well
tourist504
Art Expert

Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:54 pm

One tip: YOU do it. Last time we moved I took all my art and electronics myself. No movers, no family, not even my wife moved anything from the collection. Took several trips, but I knew it was getting done right.
maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.
BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.
jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.
Imagex6
ONEYE
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:58 pm

Just dry mount everything. Much safer moving things after that.
triporfreak
Art Expert

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:35 pm

Artex out of Ft. Lauderdale moves art. Had a great experience with them.
guryter
Art Expert

Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:33 am

I've had success with foamcore sandwiches. Separate your pieces by size, larger foamcore, binder clips.
Stingers wrote:If you can't get it up eat less fudge, excersise and stop being a kitten.
john38103 wrote:All gin every thing. drymount all you hoes.
Relax, I honestly don't give a fudge.
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:50 am

That styrofoam insulation with a shiny silver side works quite nicely too. You'll have to duct tape the sandwiches, of use some larger clamps but it's fairly sturdy and you can cut the size you need easily
I'm not someone else.
southerngarden
Art Expert

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:11 pm

thanks for the tips guys. looking like this storm is going to land fairly far to the North of me so, while I feel bad for my friends who live right around the Melbourne beach area, that's a good thing for me down South in Key Largo. As of now the pressure is off...also Dorian may light south beach up with some real surf.

jjttdw and most of you seem to have it right...going with that route. im definitely handling the move MYSELF! :cheers:

Thanks ONEYE. Just so you don't have to worry I took your advice and went ahead and ripped all my Beeghly's and Sperry women out of their frames and drymounted them just to be on the safe side. :roll:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage :hanging:
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:54 am

Where are the good prints?
I'm not someone else.
southerngarden
Art Expert

Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:02 pm

GoBluePanic wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:54 am
Where are the good prints?
Dorian took them all. :(
geezer
Art Expert

Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:27 pm

Well, that is a drymounting bummer!
justlexi
Art Enthusiast

Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:07 am

You have such a wonderful set of collections.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:34 am

I agree with the initial two posts re: packaging to move, plus doing it yourself.

I would also add, that before a move is the best time to do a slight sales purge too...nice to lighten your load before all the prepping and back and forth.
southerngarden
Art Expert

Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:12 pm

in all honesty, I didn't lose anything to Dorian. I was just trying to give GoBluePanic a sarcastic reply to his snarky comment. I really wasn't trying to brag or do anything at all by posting those pics of prints I own. just a snarky reply to ONEYE.

Miami and the FL Keys were spared this time around but many others were not so lucky. Dorian was a horrible storm for parts of the Bahamas. Many parts that I used to visit every summer when I was younger. the Abacos, in particular the outer Abaco Islands, are like a hidden paradise and they have been hit tremendously hard. it is an awful situation. I have already taken much of the supplies that I stocked up for myself to one of the many relief/aide drop spots here in Miami but the situation in the islands is dire. the storm was like a nuclear bomb! the destruction is catastrophic and the full scope of it has yet to be seen. it is very, very sad. entire island communities have been wiped away.

As far as moving goes though, yes, doing it myself...still. Im using cut and sanded 1/4" pegboard pieces as the outer walls of a sandwich with cardboard on either side of the posters that are in mylar sleeves. It has been a good time to take stock of my collection and I've been able to move many smaller, unframed pieces into proper portfolios and organize much of the collection in my new flat file. downsizing is certainly in the plans and ive already give a few prints away to people who I know will enjoy them. definitely have some prints to donate to THC2019 if it happens. Im still in awe of the new print.