Anything OBEY related

General art-related discussion.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:44 pm

jjttdw wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:16 pm
Some were improved like Proud Parents...this one needed something else. I think War by Numbers had a different background.

Right I was definitely hoping for a proud parents style enhancement on this one. Can't wait to see the money series :drool:
cmatthews11
Art Expert

Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:00 pm

These LF are nice, but I'm itching for a new letterpress release
Addict
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:35 am

Guns and Roses is on the way!
jjttdw
Art Expert

Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:32 am

cmatthews11 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:00 pm
These LF are nice, but I'm itching for a new letterpress release

Since I know you are a completist for the letterpress runs....why not pick up a Sid set to scratch that itch? I figure the only letterpresses you are missing are the Sid set and Liberte.

This is a pretty cool old letterpress:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shepard-Fairey ... 1438.l2649
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
cmatthews11
Art Expert

Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:12 am

jjttdw wrote:
Since I know you are a completist for the letterpress runs....why not pick up a Sid set to scratch that itch? I figure the only letterpresses you are missing are the Sid set and Liberte.
Where/when was the Liberte lp released? Not sure I even knew about that one?
HenryGaleWasHere
Art Expert

Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:36 am

cmatthews11 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:12 am
jjttdw wrote:
Where/when was the Liberte lp released? Not sure I even knew about that one?

https://obeygiant.com/prints/liberte-eg ... tterpress/
jjttdw
Art Expert

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:40 pm

Yeah, Liberte is super expensive as all compared to the other letterpresses. cmathews, did you pick up all the damaged lps?
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:20 pm

Huh I never saw that Liberte LP either.
I'm not someone else.
chalkdust
Art Expert

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:38 pm

Stay Up open edition offset in the store now, always thought it was a cool design

cmatthews11
Art Expert

Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:23 pm

jjttdw wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:40 pm
Yeah, Liberte is super expensive as all compared to the other letterpresses. cmathews, did you pick up all the damaged lps?
Nah, and I'm sticking to the small LP's... Easier to store and cheaper to frame. I'm moving in a couple of months and looking forward to framing the rest of mine to get them all up on the wall... Ran out of space in my current house.
bsharp
Art Expert

Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:14 pm

“Facing the Giant: Three Decades of Dissent” co-curator Pedro Alonzo’s statement on “Big Brother Is Watching You”:⁠

Since 1998, references to “1984,” George Orwell’s cautionary tale about a totalitarian state, have appeared in Fairey’s work including several iterations of Big Brother. In 2008, Penguin Books (UK) approached Fairey to design the cover of Orwell’s classic books “Animal Farm” and “1984.” Fairey uses one of the most memorable phrases from the book, “Big Brother is Watching You,” combined with the image of a menacing eye, to remind us that the technology society has grown to depend on is being used to monitor, register and influence our activity. The artist’s use of Big Brother to urge citizens to question corporate and state surveillance, proved prescient as initiatives like the NSA surveillance programs made public by Edward Snowden, Cambridge Analytica’s use of Facebook to manipulate the 2016 election, or China’s pioneering a system of governing by surveillance, were revealed. From navigation, to gathering information and all forms of communication, digital devices have become integral to everyday activities for much of the world’s population. Technology provides the ultimate convenience while simultaneously registering our every move.

Fairey reminds us that technology makes us more susceptible to misinformation and manipulation. Raising the question, how do we take advantage of the conveniences afforded by digital technology without sacrificing our privacy and freedom? Orwell and Fairey share affinities as creators, their respective practices in literature and visual art are fueled by a desire to inspire the public to question the dominant narrative and challenge systemic forms of oppression and control. Inspired by the Spanish Civil War and the rise of the Third Reich, Orwell described his work as, “written directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism. “As a means to combat the governmental and corporate control of public space, Shepard Fairey was inspired to address abuse of authority on the street. Most importantly, both the author and the artist realized that to communicate effectively with the public, the creator must, “fuse political purpose and artistic purpose into one whole.” The impact of Orwell’s numerous essays and political pamphlets pale in comparison to his literary works. Likewise, Fairey’s impact as an artist would have been minuscule if he had followed the art world rules and made work that only a privileged few could relate to.

Big Brother Is Watching You. Serigraph on Coventry Rag, 100% Cotton Custom Archival Paper with hand-deckled edges. 30 x 41 inches. Signed by Shepard Fairey. Numbered edition of 89. Comes with a certificate of authenticity. $900. A portion of proceeds will go to the ACLU. Available Tuesday, September 3rd @ 10 AM PDT at store.obeygiant.com/collections/prints. Max order: 1 per customer/household. *Orders are not guaranteed as demand is high and inventory is limited.* Multiple orders will be refunded. International customers are responsible for import fees due upon delivery.⁣ ALL SALES FINAL.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:17 pm

This one will sit for a couple days before selling out.
dolamite24
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:24 pm

jjttdw wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:17 pm
This one will sit for a couple days before selling out.
I agree.
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:06 pm

Yeah, looks better than I expected though
HenryGaleWasHere
Art Expert

Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:15 pm

That first pic makes the print look like it is 5 feet tall.