2020 Elections - A New Hope

Civics, civilly. Post lifetime is 6 months.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:50 pm

Luls. But Bernie is hip tho.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
BlakeAronson
Flipper

Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:14 am

Codeblue wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:50 pm
Luls. But Bernie is hip tho.
He's still sharp. Biden not as much. Trump definitely not (though was he ever?)

People don't all decline mentally at some specific age. I'm more concerned with people being so old they're out of touch with things, like Biden.
8=====D~~~~
bubbie
Art Expert

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:23 am

I don’t think it’s at all likely to happen, but if Sanders wins the nomination and then beats Trump, which I also think is highly unlikely, would he then have to fight the House and the Congress, even if the democrats control both? Rather they will fight him to death and he won’t be able to accomplish any of the goals he had set in his campaign. Republicans will never work with the guy and I am sure there are more than enough democrats who would vote nay every single time. Am I wrong in my thinking? Really, compared to most civilized world, the Democratic Party is a conservative party for the most part. They also have to work for that buck they got from the Inc, just like most everyone else.

What’s amazing is that the youngest of the three top runners is drymounting 70!

I, personally, like Bernie. I like his ideals, I like how he stands for them. I don’t know if it can mathematically work money wise, but I like it. I also think by running for presidency he is doing a huge favour to the current young and, perhaps, future generations, your country as a whole.

I agree with those saying he is still sharp. Nonetheless, he is almost 80 drymounting years old. And yes, Biden is likely to show symptoms of dementia before his first term would be up.

I wasn’t that familiar with most of the runners not that long ago (I still don’t know much about most in the tail because how drymounting many can there be). I then thought Harris was the one to most likely be successful running against Trump. I was wrong. I also thought Beto was interesting when he announced and the early stages of his campaign. The interest was slowly disappearing and then he mentioned a up to $1,000 tax on non-military households every time there is a war (so a permanent thing pretty much). I laughed and thought he could go drymount himself. If a guy running for president in the country with almost three quarters of a trillion dolares “defence” budget cannot find a better way to support the veterans, he should quit.

Really not impressed with this part about Warren from the first article that gorkie posted somewhere above:
The two have taken the lead on establishing a progressive approach to foreign policy on the road to 2020; however, as the New Yorker’s Osita Nwanevu writes, “Sanders’s critique of American foreign policy generally runs deeper and goes back farther.” As often pointed out by the Sanders-supporting contingent in this debate, Warren, who has made a point to target Pentagon corruption on the campaign trail, herself has been seen as a champion for defense contractors in her own state of Massachusetts, where giants like General Dynamics and Raytheon are major employers and hold billion-dollar defense contracts with the federal government.
I also want to hear them all start talking trade.

I am thinking Biden will keep sliding in polls, while Warren will be picking up what Biden losses for the most part and Bernie remaining where he is, more or less. Then Warren will win the nomination and possibly be the next POTUS if recession actually hits or loose to Trump otherwise. Unless, of course, the lunatic starts a war with Iran or does something else equally insane.
BlakeAronson
Flipper

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:48 am

bubbie wrote:
and then beats Trump, which I also think is highly unlikely....

I don’t know if it can mathematically work money wise....
2016 polls
Everyone but Fox: Trump loses to Hillary in head to head polls, and Trump loses to Bernie by typically 1-2 points more than with Hillary.
Fox: Trump beats Hillary, Bernie Beats Trump.

Also just about ANYTHING the people want can be had if we slash and limit our military spending to ya know maybe a good $50B more than the next country.
8=====D~~~~
sixstringer
Art Expert

Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:46 am

jjttdw wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:55 pm
If it is grandpa Biden then WTF is Bernie, grandpa Biden's older brother?
It's not about the number. They're both old but Bernie is still tack sharp. At the debates, Biden struggled to finish a thought. He literally he gave up mid sentence multiple times. Seems like every other day the dude says something incoherent. So yeah, to me he's grandpa Joe.

Joe Biden isn’t just a gaffe machine. He’s the Lamborghini of gaffes.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html
HenryGaleWasHere
Art Expert

Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:47 am

bubbie wrote:
I don’t think it’s at all likely to happen, but if Sanders wins the nomination and then beats Trump, which I also think is highly unlikely, would he then have to fight the House and the Congress, even if the democrats control both? Rather they will fight him to death and he won’t be able to accomplish any of the goals he had set in his campaign. Republicans will never work with the guy and I am sure there are more than enough democrats who would vote nay every single time.
^This

It's depressing to even think about. We're screwed.
sixstringer
Art Expert

Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:40 am

bubbie wrote:
I don’t think it’s at all likely to happen, but if Sanders wins the nomination and then beats Trump, which I also think is highly unlikely, would he then have to fight the House and the Congress, even if the democrats control both? Rather they will fight him to death and he won’t be able to accomplish any of the goals he had set in his campaign. Republicans will never work with the guy and I am sure there are more than enough democrats who would vote nay every single time.

It's up to the people.

“If you know history you know that nothing ever changes from the top on down, it is always from the bottom on up. If we were sitting here 20 years ago and someone jumped up and said you know I think that gay marriage will be legal in every state in this country, the response would have been, ‘What are you smoking?’ Today, gay marriage is legal and for many young people it is not even an issue any more. My point is, if you look at politics as stagnant in a conservative way and say, ‘Wow, we’re going to have to deal with the Republicans and they’ve been obstructionist and against Obama from day one, how can you accomplish anything?’ But here’s another way to look at it. ... When millions of people begin to stand up and say, 'Hey, Congress, I don’t now want to go $50,000 in debt for the crime of going to college and you will do something about it, because look out the street, you’ve got a million people here marching on Washington and we know what’s going on. I cannot accomplish these things alone” -Bernie in 2016

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/bernie- ... d=36499530

also

What Sanders' political revolution looks like in real life
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/ ... 20-1455151
jjttdw
Art Expert

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:27 am

sixstringer wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:46 am
jjttdw wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:55 pm
If it is grandpa Biden then WTF is Bernie, grandpa Biden's older brother?
It's not about the number. They're both old but Bernie is still tack sharp. At the debates, Biden struggled to finish a thought. He literally he gave up mid sentence multiple times. Seems like every other day the dude says something incoherent. So yeah, to me he's grandpa Joe.

Joe Biden isn’t just a gaffe machine. He’s the Lamborghini of gaffes.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html
Yeah, to me Bernie comes across as an old fart who likes to drone on....sort of like that uncle at Thanksgiving dinner that everyone avoids. Maybe he seems sharp because he has had 50 years practice of saying the same thing. Here is David Alexrod's take:

Well, Bernie is what Bernie is. His strength is that he’s been saying the same thing for 50 years; he’s utterly authentic; he’s fearless. The downside is that he’s been saying the same thing for 50 years, that he’s been around 50 years to say the same things, and that he can be a little brittle and unyielding. But, you know, he is kind of a remarkable figure in our politics.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
gorkie
Art Freak

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:35 am

Biden needs to smoke a big fat doob and have Cardi B sit on his face and have it all caught on film by a "nefarious character who is just out to sell the video for financial gain".

Peeps will love that.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram
sixstringer
Art Expert

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:55 am

jjttdw wrote:
"...His strength is that he’s been saying the same thing for 50 years; he’s utterly authentic; he’s fearless....he is kind of a remarkable figure in our politics."
Exactly!
sixstringer
Art Expert

Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:12 am

^ quite a contrast compared to this:

jjttdw
Art Expert

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:07 pm

sixstringer wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:55 am
jjttdw wrote:
"...His strength is that he’s been saying the same thing for 50 years; he’s utterly authentic; he’s fearless....he is kind of a remarkable figure in our politics."
Exactly!
jjttdw wrote:
The downside is that he’s been saying the same thing for 50 years, that he’s been around 50 years to say the same things, and that he can be a little brittle and unyielding. [/i]
#crazyoldmanrepeatinghimself
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
gorkie
Art Freak

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:32 pm

Interesting read on Biden...

Joe Biden claims he was a staunch liberal in the Senate. He wasn’t

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-mete ... enate-he-/

Also interesting is this ranking of progressives in the Senate by www.progressivepunch.org (they also rank the House as an option)...

https://progressivepunch.org/scores.htm?house=senate

mobius006
Art Freak

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:54 pm

ya'll gonna be on the Warren/Buttigieg train soon enough.
gorkie
Art Freak

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:07 pm

Warren certainly wouldn't have to worry about Buttigieg grabbin' her by the pussy.
So there's that.