the official TV discussion thread

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:40 am

shoeless wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:53 am
Just searched and surprised that I didn’t see anyone mention the best current show going....

Yellowstone
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
meskell
Art Expert

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:31 pm

Late as usual, but Chernobyl was excellent!
Deadwood movie was very good too. I rewatched the series beforehand so it made it that much better considering how disappointing the series finale was the first time through.
Unbelievable was also unbelievably solid.
Wanda: I can't stand people. I hate them. Do you hate them?
Henry: No, but I seem to feel better when they're not around.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:24 pm

I recently watched Chernobyl as well. Thought it was great, but wish it had been in the native tongue, and that I'd had to read subtitles. Makes me respect shows like The Americans all that much more.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
jjbehren
Flipper

Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:15 am

Legion is the best show that I can't watch. I find it fascinating, but I fall asleep every drymounting time I try to watch it. I've had to re-watch almost every episode. I'm about halfway through Season 2, but feel like I should just start over. Or not. It's not really that cohesive of a show anyway.
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:49 pm

Is Carnival Row on Prime worth watching? I'm guessing not since I haven't heard much about it but got prime for a month because the wife likes Goliath and we already watched good omens and the boys.
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)
meskell
Art Expert

Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:10 pm

Can't speak for Carnival but you might want to check out the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Glad S.3 is just around the corner. The wait between 2 and 3 seems a lot shorter than between 1 and 2.
Wanda: I can't stand people. I hate them. Do you hate them?
Henry: No, but I seem to feel better when they're not around.
finneganm
Art Freak

Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:22 pm

It’s.... not good.

I’m watching The Expanse right now, which has potential.
That's what she said
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:00 pm

Watch Maisel, Fleabag, Catastrophe, Man in the High Castle, and Bosch (though I'm a season or 2 behind on that one). I also have Patriot on my list at the recommendation of some others here.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:10 am

Codeblue wrote:
I recently watched Chernobyl as well. Thought it was great, but wish it had been in the native tongue, and that I'd had to read subtitles. Makes me respect shows like The Americans all that much more.
I agreed at first, and planned on avoiding Chernobyl entirely because it was all in English, but gave it a chance and loved it. After hearing Craig Mazin explain why they went with English and no accents on anyone except their natural accents, I was on board. Then when the show was on, a Russian journalist gave very detailed reviews of Chernobyl, and would always expound on how accurate every single detail of the show was which helped sell me on it entirely, and he wrote this about the languages, which is just kind of funny how we'd see it differently as people who enjoy things in their native tongue due to authenticity:
As an aside, I am particularly happy about the decision to have the characters speak normal British English, not mangled Russian or English with a corny "Russian" accent. Poor Matthew Rhys and Kerry Russel... Their tortured attempts to speak Russian almost ruined The Americans...

Here's his whole thread where he talks in tons of detail about the show, it's good fudge mostly
https://twitter.com/SlavaMalamud/status ... 3297265664

anyway, fun show that i truly can't get enough of reading about (still)
guryter
Art Expert

Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:12 am

Has anyone ever discussed Quantum Leap in here? And specifically: why in the living hell they chose to change the theme song in season 5? I either never realized or just straight blocked it out as a kid.
Stingers wrote:If you can't get it up eat less fudge, excersise and stop being a kitten.
john38103 wrote:All gin every thing. drymount all you hoes.
Relax, I honestly don't give a fudge.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:10 pm

Cinlabyrinth wrote:
Codeblue wrote:
I agreed at first, and planned on avoiding Chernobyl entirely because it was all in English, but gave it a chance and loved it. After hearing Craig Mazin explain why they went with English and no accents on anyone except their natural accents, I was on board. Then when the show was on, a Russian journalist gave very detailed reviews of Chernobyl, and would always expound on how accurate every single detail of the show was which helped sell me on it entirely, and he wrote this about the languages, which is just kind of funny how we'd see it differently as people who enjoy things in their native tongue due to authenticity:
As an aside, I am particularly happy about the decision to have the characters speak normal British English, not mangled Russian or English with a corny "Russian" accent. Poor Matthew Rhys and Kerry Russel... Their tortured attempts to speak Russian almost ruined The Americans...

Here's his whole thread where he talks in tons of detail about the show, it's good fudge mostly

Interesting. I didn't mean having the actors pretend to speak Russian. I meant hiring actual Russian actors (or actors who speak Russian). The actors who spoke Russian in The Americans were largely great. I know Mister X would have approved!
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:25 pm

Really enjoyed The Wachmen pilot.

I hope they develop properly some things they already introduced, as I know the dude that headed Lost likes to create winding paths with no end.

Enjoy as much the outcry that it isn't the Comic or that the comic didn't have commentary on race or politics. Must of read a different book.
ImageImageImage

Original Comic Art Collection: http://cafurl.com?i=25041
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:34 am

Codeblue wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:10 pm
Cinlabyrinth wrote:
Codeblue wrote:

I didn't mean having the actors pretend to speak Russian. I meant hiring actual Russian actors (or actors who speak Russian). !
Word
pjsteelerfan
Art Expert

Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:53 am

finneganm wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:22 pm
It’s.... not good.

I’m watching The Expanse right now, which has potential.
Expanse is great, glad Amazon saved it. 4th season in December and filming season 5 now. Overall, they are staying pretty true to the books so far. Also helps that the book writers are actually working to finish the series.
fredo
Art God

Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:03 am

guryter wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:12 am
Has anyone ever discussed Quantum Leap in here? And specifically: why in the living hell they chose to change the theme song in season 5? I either never realized or just straight blocked it out as a kid.
Have you checked the old/locked mondo thread?
just a foil for me today, thanks