Anything OBEY related

General art-related discussion.
bsharp
Art Expert

Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:14 pm

“Facing the Giant: Three Decades of Dissent” co-curator Pedro Alonzo has this to say about Commanda: This print is a fictionalized portrait of Shepard Fairey’s wife, Amanda. The title, which is a hybrid of her name and the word, “command,” acts as a verbal description of her confident and powerful character. Although a familiar subject, the artist renders her partially veiled and diverts her attention away from the viewer. Holding a spray can in one hand and cloaking her face with the other, she is mysterious, but her intentions are clear. Shown as an anonymous female purveyor of the street art practice favored by Fairey, as a mixed-race protagonist/antagonist she helps to upend traditional tropes of female portraiture. Instead, Fairey presents her as a universal model of women in his eyes, who are fierce, independent, and proactive.

Commanda. Serigraph on Coventry Rag, 100% Cotton Custom Archival Paper with hand-deckled edges. 30 x 41 inches. Signed by Shepard Fairey. Numbered edition of 89. $900. Comes with certificate of authenticity. Available Thursday, July 18th @ 10 AM PDT at store.obeygiant.com/collections/prints. Max order: 1 per customer/household. *Orders are not guaranteed as demand is high and inventory is limited.* Multiple orders will be refunded. International customers are responsible for import fees due upon delivery.⁣ ALL SALES FINAL.
kansasbbq
Art God

Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:38 am

Reminds me of Anjelica Huston.
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
hunterjax
Art Expert

Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:55 am

kansasbbq wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:38 am
Reminds me of Anjelica Huston Michelle Yeoh.
cchang
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:04 pm

I can see both
jjttdw
Art Expert

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:25 pm

bsharp wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:04 pm
lessthanthreerecords wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:55 pm
dolamite24 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:31 am
Does anyone know why 2 of the 3 BTS spray paint cans were removed from the database?
Cut It Up and Target Exceptions were added as variations under the print editions. Blue Lotus didn't have a print edition (at least not on EB).
Blue Lotus has a print too -- https://expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/252239
I have that print hanging in my office.

Pass on Commanda for me...great image but holding out for the old images.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
dmb22jeep
Art Enthusiast

Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:07 pm

Screening of his film and meet and greet with Shepard Friday at BTS. 2:30.
meskell
Art Expert

Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:04 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:12 pm
Run of 800 basically at around a hunge a pop for CA peeps = meh
The feeling you get when leaving that CA tax behind!

Wanda: I can't stand people. I hate them. Do you hate them?
Henry: No, but I seem to feel better when they're not around.
bsharp
Art Expert

Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:04 pm

The lotus blossom has a millennial history dating back to ancient Egypt and early Buddhism. It is currently considered a sacred flower due to its daily cycle of emerging from mud or dirty river water clean and unscathed by the environment in which it grows. The lotus is a symbol of hope and purity; the flower radiates light. In this work by Shepard Fairey, it is surrounded by a crescent moon adorned with stars, a reference to the Virgin of Guadalupe who also stands on the moon, a symbol of purity in Catholicism. Fairey describes the images as “beauty and resolution out of chaos.” The artist reminds us that in spite of adversity, hope and humanity can merge from every situation. “Obey Lotus Ornament” stands out among the selection of works in this exhibition because it does not address socio-political issues, nor does it make a provocative statement. The artist simply intended to make a beautiful image that is undeniably appealing to all. Fairey refers to ornamental works as a “Trojan Horse” intended to draw the viewer in regardless of political orientation. The structured and organic image of the lotus flower is often incorporated into murals as a decorative element alongside intentionally provocative imagery.

Text supplied by co-curator of “Facing the Giant: Three Decades of Dissent,” Pedro Alonzo.

OBEY Lotus Ornament. Serigraph on Coventry Rag, 100% Cotton Custom Archival Paper with hand-deckled edges. 30 x 41 inches. Signed by Shepard Fairey. Numbered edition of 89. $900. Comes with a certificate of authenticity. Available Tuesday, July 23rd @ 10 AM PDT at store.obeygiant.com/collections/prints. Max order: 1 per customer/household. *Orders are not guaranteed as demand is high and inventory is limited.* Multiple orders will be refunded. International customers are responsible for import fees due upon delivery.⁣ ALL SALES FINAL.
The masked woman, her face covered and partially shaded, is mysterious. She looks directly at the viewer with determination. Her ethnicity is undetermined; the viewer can project their identity on the figure. The use of the word “Mujer,” “woman” in Spanish, and the mask is a nod to the Zapatista movement in Southern Mexico, and armed anti-globalization group that rebelled against the Mexican government demanding indigenous rights and democracy. The eyes remind Fairey of Emma Peel, played by Diana Rigg, the heroine in the 1960’s television program, The Avengers. The work is a celebration of feminity, as audacious and assertive women portrayed in 1960’s spy films. In 2005 Shepard and his wife Amanda became parents. As the father of two daughters and married to a woman with a strong character, Fairey addressed sexism by rendering images of powerful, defiant women. His portraits of women are in part of a projection of his daughters, a reflection of his wife and an assault on historical portrayals of women appearing nude, powerless, and submissive.

Text supplied by co-curator of “Facing the Giant: Three Decades of Dissent,” Pedro Alonzo. Mujer Fatale.

Serigraph on Coventry Rag, 100% Cotton Custom Archival Paper with hand-deckled edges. 30 x 41 inches. Signed by Shepard Fairey. Numbered edition of 89. $900. Comes with a certificate of authenticity. Available Tuesday, July 23rd @ 12 PM PDT at store.obeygiant.com/collections/prints. Max order: 1 per customer/household. *Orders are not guaranteed as demand is high and inventory is limited.* Multiple orders will be refunded. International customers are responsible for import fees due upon delivery.⁣ ALL SALES FINAL.
chalkdust
Art Expert

Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:19 pm

both very nice, but still holding out..
kansasbbq
Art God

Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:02 pm

1. Jesse
2. Hammer
3. Fist
4. Obey Star
5. Noam Chomsky
6. Nixon Money
7. Mao Money
8. Lenin Money
9. Make Art Not War
10. Andre Hendrix
11. Andre Arrow (based on Navy?)
12. Angela Davis
13. War By Numbers
14. Guns and Roses
15. Big Brother is Watching You
16. Mujer Fatale
17. Proud Parents
18. Commanda
19. My Florist is a D*ck
20. Paint it Black
21. Delicate Balance
22. Earth Crisis Drop
23. 89' Collage Variant
24. Greetings from Iraq
25. Rose Shackle
26. Arab Woman (Red)
27. Lotus Ornament
28. End Corruption
29. Defend Dignity
30. Bias By Numbers
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
bsharp
Art Expert

Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:59 pm

earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:38 pm

Plus juan, thank you!
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:52 pm

Mujer Fatale has 18 left. Lotus took a day to sell out.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:09 pm

It's lunacy how he's doing dis fudge.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
cchang
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:54 pm

Was there any news on 'why' he was going with this larger format?