Bottleneck Gallery News/Rumors!

General art-related discussion.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:49 am

BENYOUNG20 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:18 pm
Thank you for this! I won't be at the show....but wish more galleries would follow this lead. Let those that fly in enjoy more of the city than just the sidewalk.
i'm of two minds about this.

Waiting/camping is honestly the only "fair" way to deal with OGs of this nature where many people want one specific OG. You commit, you stay, you get what you want. Lottos aren't really 'fairer' they are just random. You can bring people with you to help your chances, but so can other people.

Camping for something is a pain, but it can be fun, some of my favorite times/memories of this hobby are linked to Tiny Trifecta and House Party camp outs.

But at the same time yeah it is a more enjoyable way to travel for shows. Enjoying the locales rather than just outside the gallery

But also, the people who care enough to camp for multiple days are a very select group of people. Limited to tens of people.

I find the people who complain the most about camping were never do it anyway.

I think its probably the best way for them to handle it. its just going to take a bit to get through the line with people scheming on which OGs to snag. Good luck to all. Especially the BNG team.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
jkw3000
EB Team

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:52 am

I mean we've also seen people fly out just for a show only to get the last number in line. So, you know, not always great.

But I'm pretty much with Paul here, if you want something and are willing to go the extra mile for it, go for it. Gallery just couldn't afford to have neighbors complain about people sleeping overnight there, so this is all that can be done about it.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
kansasbbq
Art God

Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:54 am

cotis wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:26 am
kansasbbq wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:17 am
Then whom are you deeming worthy?
for a friends/fam $50 spot, i'll get ya in.
nope
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:26 am

35mmpaul wrote:
Waiting/camping is honestly the only "fair" way to deal with OGs of this nature where many people want one specific OG. You commit, you stay, you get what you want. Lottos aren't really 'fairer' they are just random. You can bring people with you to help your chances, but so can other people.
Camping for something is a pain, but it can be fun, some of my favorite times/memories of this hobby are linked to Tiny Trifecta and House Party camp outs.
But at the same time yeah it is a more enjoyable way to travel for shows. Enjoying the locales rather than just outside the gallery
But also, the people who care enough to camp for multiple days are a very select group of people. Limited to tens of people.
I think its probably the best way for them to handle it. its just going to take a bit to get through the line with people scheming on which OGs to snag. Good luck to all. Especially the BNG team.
I would think I would be more ok with the commiting to a line....if people actually committed to lines and stayed in them. I'm not talking about bathroom breaks or food runs, but more the I'm going to sleep in my bed / car for the night and will be back in the morning, or hey I'm going to watch a concert/movie . And if everyone else is doing that I dont fault anyone else for doing it (I have)....but from the extended lines I have been in so many people are there for 50% of the time or less.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:29 am

hunterjax wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:03 am
Kramerica wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:29 am
NY B'klyn hipsters, obvs.
Nets > Knicks
jkw3000
EB Team

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:31 am

BENYOUNG20 wrote:
35mmpaul wrote:
I would think I would be more ok with the commiting to a line....if people actually committed to lines and stayed in them. I'm not talking about bathroom breaks or food runs, but more the I'm going to sleep in my bed / car for the night and will be back in the morning, or hey I'm going to watch a concert/movie . And if everyone else is doing that I dont fault anyone else for doing it (I have)....but from the extended lines I have been in so many people are there for 50% of the time or less.
Eh, from my experience the NYC line crowd commits. Even when it's incredibly dumb(er than usual) to do so.
partpat
Art Freak

Line sitting isn’t line sitting if your leaving at night to sleep in your bed and leaving your chair there. Austin campers are soft this way I hear :lol:

You leave line , for anything other than a piss break and a snack you ain’t in line anymore imo.
cotis
Art Expert

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:32 am

wonkabars7 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:29 am
hunterjax wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:03 am
Kramerica wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:29 am
NY B'klyn hipsters, obvs.
Nets > Knicks
this, all the way.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:34 am

Luls. "Fairest" way to do things is have the top patrons of the gallery get first dibs on the primo fudge like most other non "pop culture" galleries. Then let the rest of the plebes fight over the scraps.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
cotis
Art Expert

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:43 am

Codeblue wrote:
Luls. "Fairest" way to do things is have the top patrons of the gallery get first dibs on the primo fudge like most other non "pop culture" galleries. Then let the rest of the plebes fight over the scraps.
toobs
Art Expert

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:51 am

BENYOUNG20 wrote:
This guy gets it
Codeblue wrote:Ya know they'll put out at least 1 "ZOMG gotta rub mah nuts on another dukes butt to get in line for it" poster.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:55 am

BENYOUNG20 wrote:
eh. i think the sleeping there is a crucial component. wether its in a car or not to me doesn't make a difference.

the leaving to do other stuff to me is also not a big deal. as long as its fairly brief. especially to shower or eat or just take a break.

there is no hard fast rule but if people notice you are gone for longgggggggg periods of time and it becomes a problem that when it becomes a problem. every extended line i've been in has been pretty good at policing itself.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:59 am

partpat wrote:
Line sitting isn’t line sitting if your leaving at night to sleep in your bed and leaving your chair there. Austin campers are soft this way I hear :lol:

You leave line , for anything other than a piss break and a snack you ain’t in line anymore imo.
not really. they sleep there in my experience. i dont keep track of everyone while they sleep.

except jkw. he sleeps on a pile of good vibes and a snorlax bean bag.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:01 pm

Codeblue wrote:
well some galleries don't do that. let the plebs have their fun.
jkw3000
EB Team

Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:04 pm

35mmpaul wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:59 am
partpat wrote:

not really. they sleep there in my experience. i dont keep track of everyone while they sleep.

except jkw. he sleeps on a pile of good vibes and a snorlax bean bag.
I WISH.

memba overnighting for DalEAST in like the coldest night of the year?