Random Posts & Chaos

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:30 pm

I fuggin hate cruises.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
misterx
Art Expert

Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:33 pm

CodeGreen?
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:37 pm

Luls. Not really.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
DonPiano
Art Expert

Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:47 pm

The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
bubbie
Art Expert

Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:41 am

misterx wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:05 pm
Interesting. Is that a fact though?
Just the other day, I was looking into the emissions of cargo tankers. What I found was that their co2 footprint roughly equals to that of Germany’s, or 3% of the world’s emissions.

drymount cruises though. I have been on one about 20 years ago. Doubt I would be on another one any time soon.
TKuczynski
Art Expert

Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:40 am

Sorry if this has been posted:
Kramerica
Art Freak

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:20 am

bubbie wrote:
misterx wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:05 pm
Interesting. Is that a fact though?
Just the other day, I was looking into the emissions of cargo tankers. What I found was that their co2 footprint roughly equals to that of Germany’s, or 3% of the world’s emissions.

drymount cruises though. I have been on one about 20 years ago. Doubt I would be on another one any time soon.
It appears as though the graphic is referencing some kind of sulphur oxide (SO) rather than CO2. That, or it is just saying cruisers emit 'more so' without actually specifying what they are emitting.
Last edited by Kramerica on Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:25 am

Typical X fudge post amirite.
pj101ca
Art Expert

Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:11 pm

bubbie wrote:

Just the other day, I was looking into the emissions of cargo tankers.

Get a life, hippie!
mike123230 wrote:hahahah lawyers are stupid. boom. roasted.
meskell
Art Expert

Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:01 pm

pj101ca wrote:
bubbie wrote:
Get a life, hippie!
Someone has to do the work for the rest of us.

Wanda: I can't stand people. I hate them. Do you hate them?
Henry: No, but I seem to feel better when they're not around.
misterx
Art Expert

Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:46 pm

A report from the European Federation for Transport and Environment found that cruise ships in European waters owned by Carnival Corporation emit 10 times more air pollution than all of Europe's cars.

The study analysed air pollution caused by 203 luxury cruise ships in European waters in 2017, and found that ships are releasing sulphur dioxide, sulphate, and nitrogen oxides at an alarming rate -- all of which have implications for human health.
The European ports most affected by cruise ships are Barcelona (Spain), Palma Mallorca (Spain), Venice (Italy), Civitavecchia (Italy) and Southampton (UK).
Ships owned by Carnival were found to emit 10 times the amount of sulphur oxide alone than all of Europe's cars, of which there are about 260 million.
Spain, Italy, Greece, France and Norway are the European countries most affected by cruise ship air pollution in comparison to how much their cars are producing.
Spain's cars produced 23 million tonnes of sulphur oxide, while cruise ships in their waters produced 172 million tonnes.
Europe has sulphur emission control areas (SECAs) in their waters, which have strict rules surrounding fuel standards, but the report found that even these fail to protect oceans from the effect of cruise ships.
In Denmark, where the coastline is entirely protected by SECAs, cruise ships still emitted 18 times more sulphur oxide than all of the country's 2.5 million passenger vehicles over the course of a year.
Shipping policy management of Transport and Environment, Faig Abbasov, said that luxury cruise ships "are floating cities powered by some of the dirtiest fuel possible."
Abbasov noted that while European cities are passing more stringent laws on pollution from other forms of transport, "they're giving a free pass to cruise companies that spew out toxic fumes that do immeasurable harm both to those on board and on nearby shores".
Sulphur oxide has damaging effects on the marine environment and increases the acidification of ocean water -- disrupting growth in marine animals and stopping the growth of corals.
Sulphur oxide also affects human health but this appears to be quite different from person to person. People who are especially sensitive to it, such as asthmatics, appear to have their airways constricted quite severely after inhaling, but the effects are relatively short-lived.

The authors of the Transport and Environment report recommend that stricter laws are enforced in European waters that keep emissions below the the equivalent expected of cars.

Emissions from cruise ships are also likely to increase in the years to come because there is little regulation on marine fuel quality and engine emissions standards, according to the report.

Carnival released its ninth annual sustainability report this week, announcing the company had achieved its 25 percent carbon reduction goal three years ahead of schedule in 2017.

The company also states that it has introduced 'advanced air quality systems' on board 74 percent of its fleet, which are "capable of removing virtually all of the sulphur from the ships' engine exhaust, enabling cleaner overall air emissions".

Abbasov said governments need to step in and mandate "zero emissions standards" for cruise ships in ports, such as batteries and hydrogen technology, because the "cruise sector are apparently not willing to make the shift voluntarily".
misterx wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:33 pm
CodeGreen?
I got it !
CodeRed!!

Let's talk!
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.
bubbie
Art Expert

Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:24 am

pj101ca wrote:
bubbie wrote:

Get a life, hippie!
:lol:

As for the cruise industry, I did some reading into it today. Yes, the fudge is pretty brutal.

The most recent article I saw was from June 4 in the Financial Times (based on the same stuff X posted above): Carnival cruise ships more polluting than all of Europe’s cars

Aside from air pollution, there is also this (from the FT article):
The report comes just days after Carnival agreed to pay a $20m fine and undertake increased monitoring after it was found to still be dumping sewage and plastic waste, leaking gas and dirty water and falsifying records of incidents.

In 2016 the company pleaded guilty to dumping oily waste from its Princess Line ships, and was fined $40m and put on a five-year probation but on Monday it admitted to violating that probation in a Miami court.
In this article (a brief interview with one of the researches from a German environmental organization), the guy stated that
It showed that the amount of emissions that passengers breathe on board is more than twenty times higher than on a main road with a lot of pollution.
There is plenty more to post. The funniest thing though is that “now that the industry is under increasing scrutiny” has been written in pretty much in these exact words in every article I read dating back to before 2010, I believe.

In spite of all this, I am interested to find out what would be the footprint of all these cruising people jumping on the planes instead and heading off to all-inclusive resorts or heading to some destination, renting a vehicle, etc.

This questionable source indicates that
Based on an estimated total number of about 25.8 million cruise ship passengers in 2017, it can be estimated that the average cruise ship passenger emits 0.82 tonnes of carbon dioxide-equivalent for their cruise. This is equivalent to a return air trip from London to Tokyo in economy class.
plaink
Art Expert

Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:18 am

I too study this. Do you have a newsletter.
bubbie
Art Expert

Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:48 am

Lol?