Best/Worst Movies of 2019

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Mon May 13, 2019 12:36 pm

because people don't like reading subtitles.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Mon May 13, 2019 1:59 pm

seems like there would be a lot more prime choices for that reason than Gloria lol
Irishman12
Art Expert

Mon May 20, 2019 10:46 am

TOLKIEN

This is the story about J.R.R. Tolkien and his literary friends, whom he went to school with and formed a club, up to his time in World War I. Honestly, I was interested in seeing this but I was bored with it within the first 15-20 minutes. Very slow, without much going for it. 5/10

LONG SHOT

Any time you list Seth Rogen in a movie, there's a pretty good chance I'll see it as I am a fan of his humor. It was also good to see Charlize Theron show her comedic chops. A funny (if at times raunchy) comedy that still has some heart and soul to it and even has a pretty powerful message at the end. 6/10

JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 3 - PARABELLUM

Another no nonsense chapter in the John Wick trilogy. Picking up right where Chapter 2 left off and never letting it's foot off the gas. I was never a huge Keanu Reeves fan before this trilogy but this has definitely made me appreciate him more. Overall, a very solid action film, even if I did feel a little fatigue by the end of it from all of the action. I would definitely be down for another chapter if Lionsgate, Keanu and director Chad Stahelski were down. 7/10
fredo
Art God

Mon May 20, 2019 5:53 pm

What if only Lionsgate was out?
just a foil for me today, thanks
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri May 24, 2019 10:29 am

BRIGHTBURN

The evil Superman. I really enjoyed this opposite end of the spectrum take on the tale of Superman. Crashing in Kansas from another world, Brandon Breyer, uses his powers not for good, but rather for bad intentions, once he realizes his potential and gets his first taste of killing. I typically don't like child/teenage actors as I find them annoying more often than not. However, Jackson A. Dunn who stars as Brandon, does a tremendous job with his characters arc from start to finish. This probably won't make much noise at the box office, but if you're in to horror or superhero films, I recommend this! 7.5/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri May 31, 2019 12:38 pm

GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS

I wasn't a huge fan of 2014's GODZILLA, but the trailer and special effects for the sequel had my interest. Overall, I felt about the sequel much the same I felt about the first one: the storyline was meh but the effects were good. So depending on how you enjoyed the 2014 installment, will determine how you enjoy this year's release. 6/10
brettlv5506
Art Connoisseur

Fri May 31, 2019 1:43 pm

Hey RA, in the nerdlocker review you said Long Day's Journey would be playing MFAH in July? Any idea if it'll be 2D or 3D there?
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:24 pm

brettlv5506 wrote:Hey RA, in the nerdlocker review you said Long Day's Journey would be playing MFAH in July? Any idea if it'll be 2D or 3D there?
2D. They don't have 3D capability. They looked into upgrading for this but it was way too expensive.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:46 am

ROCKETMAN

The life of Elton John, told through an unflinching R-rated (thank you!) film and at times, musical. Taron Egerton did a wonderful job as Elton and while overall the film was enjoyable and wasn't too much of a musical (except towards the end). The last 30-45 minutes they seem to cram more musical numbers in which felt forced and rushed and took away from the final product. Not a bad movie at all, but definitely not on the BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY level. 6.5/10
jlabbate
Art Freak

Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:15 pm

John Wick 3 was a ton of fun with some inventive set pieces..non-stop action film
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DonPiano
Art Expert

Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:23 pm

Knock Down the House was great.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:45 am

MA

Octavia Spencer gives a creepy and enjoyable performance but other than her, this movie is very bland. Storyline is pretty weak and I kept waiting for something to happen and it doesn't really until the last 15 minutes or so of the film. More of a suspense than horror film. 5.5/10

X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX

A mulligan from the 2006 version and while this was better, overall, it beats out APOCALYPSE but not FIRST CLASS or DAYS OF FUTURE PAST. The X-Men franchise started out well with the 2000 version and X2: X-MEN UNITED, and with the exception of the reboot FIRST CLASS, the franchise (outside of DEADPOOL and LOGAN) has not put out a quality product. I will miss some of the cast as I've always loved Michael Fassbender as Magneto and James McAvoy as Professor X, but I am glad to see Marvel finally with their property back and hope they wait a couple of years before rolling out their version, which I'm sure is the best we'll get and what fans have been waiting years to see! 6/10
Philpenn
Art Expert

Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:36 pm

Dark Phoenix may very well be the first X-Men movie I never watch. Certainly won't go see it in the theater, and probably not even once it hits the movie channels. Just find Sophie Turner's acting atrocious, so a whole movie centered around it sounds like a real bummer.
Philpenn
Art Expert

Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:17 am

Apparently I'm not alone in my opinion.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:15 pm

Philpenn wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:36 pm
Dark Phoenix may very well be the first X-Men movie I never watch. Certainly won't go see it in the theater, and probably not even once it hits the movie channels. Just find Sophie Turner's acting atrocious, so a whole movie centered around it sounds like a real bummer.

It looks like a drymounting dumpster fire but a dumpster fire with McAvoy/Fassy/Chastain is a dumpster fire I will happily jump in. I know it is going to be awful and I am excited.

John Wick 3 makes JW2 a bit better IMO. As a stand alone movie, I thought JW 2 was a bit underwhelming.

Climax ruled. Godzilla ruled. (THANKS BRADLEY WHITFORD). Avengement drymounting ruled.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.