Apple - Mac, iStuff, and Such

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
fribhey
Art Expert

Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:06 am

35mmpaul wrote:Take this with a slight grain of salt. it's been a few years since i worked there. but i dont think that the iOS capabilities for text messages have changed drastically.

iCloud does not store and sync text messages. The only way to transfer texts from one iphone to another is to restore from a back up of the old phone to the new phone.
iCloud does in fact store and sync messages. You need at least iOS 11.4 to sync to the cloud on an iOS device and I think the latest OS, Mojave, for the Mac:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208532
https://www.imore.com/how-turn-messages-icloud
Woo5lscott
Art Expert

Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:03 am

What’s the next iPhone looking like?
MJGallicchio
Art Expert

Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:21 am

The only rumor I've heard about this years iPhones so far is two way charging like Samsung has.

"Apple's 2019 iPhones are going to have a two-way wireless charging feature that will allow the iPhone to charge other devices like the AirPods, Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo again confirmed in a report sent out to investors today."
tourist504
Art Expert

Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:40 am

Woo5lscott wrote:What’s the next iPhone looking like?
Black rectangles
maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.
BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.
jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.
Imagex6
sixstringer
Art Expert

Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:05 pm

$5-6k monitor...stand not included.
lulz
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:17 pm

But it swivels and becomes your new best friend.

Looking forward to all the new updates, some good new features in the pipeline. RIP iTunes.
beetlejuice
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:04 pm

Is 60Hz refresh rate normal for those editing monitors? I know they say don't buy a TV that has less than 240 now...
Go ahead, make my millennium.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:29 pm

There is more to calibrated monitors than refresh rate when it comes to editing.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
jjttdw
Art Expert

Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:17 am

alright, a few years back we got iPhone 7s. Evidently there is a widespread problem that affects cell service. Within 2 weeks two of the three phones had the cell service die. I had to bring them to the Apple store to have them send off. Irritating. The third is starting to experience the same issue. If your 7 starts showing no service, just take it to the Apple store....it will not resolve itself.

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone-7-no-service/
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
Lowbrow-Ink
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:34 pm

Has anyone with a MacBook noticed recently (since last update?) that when you autoload your login info on websites, you are automatically logged in without clicking the login tab? It logs you in before there is an opportunity for you to check "keep me logged in", ect. Any way to prevent this?
Cragars
Art Expert

Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:58 pm

Time for new ssd. Macbook Air storage space is weak.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sat May 09, 2020 6:37 pm

Anybody have an Apple Watch or a Fitbit? I'm looking into getting a watch simply to track my workouts. Since Series 4 of the Apple Watch is discontinued, I'm not ready to put down $400 on an Apple Watch for just exercise. I'll never use it to check or reply to text messages, use Apple Pay, etc. However, the Series 3 watch is around $200 and appears to offer more of what I'm looking for (also, would buy GPS model, not GPS + Cellular). So the price between a Fitbit Charger 4 and Apple Watch Series 3 is about $50. Also, the Fitbit has sleep tracking, which is a feature I'm curious about. Anybody have any feedback on either/both?
bubbie
Art Expert

Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:28 pm

Two weeks ago, the year and half old iPhone X started acting weird and slowing down. Thought I would shut it down and turn it back on. It never turned back on, got stuck at the Apple logo. The laptop refused to recognize it, but luckily I was in the city and dropped by the Apple store. Had to be reset to factory, which is fine, but the back up got drymounted up too somehow. Not happy. The genius there said I must have tapped some certain commands in a certain sequence that crashed the system. Obviously sounds like a bunch of standard bullshit they tell everybody.

Moreover, for whatever reason the notifications don’t come through to the main screen now. Neither there are any sound or vibration notifications. Not emails or any other apps. Only text messages and missed phone calls. All settings look fine.

Not sure if it belongs here or in the pet peeves thread. Pretty sure this is the last iPhone I will own at this point and I’ve used them for over a decade; the first one was 3G, which I still have and use as a music player for kids and even the battery is still fine in that one. The wife had a problem with her phone a couple of years ago, which is talked about somewhere in this thread. Then she had a battery swollen up and they couldn’t recover her data, which is pretty ridiculous. My previous phone was 7S Plus, I believe, which I wasn’t happy with (it dropped calls and service issues, which is probably one and the same; also the battery would die any time the temperature dropped close to zero Celsius and in the winter in the boonies it’s like having no phone when going for walks that last more than 5 minutes even when hiding the phone in the inside pocket).

Thinking of selling this turd and maybe going with Galaxy S20. Never had a Samsung phone before.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:54 pm

Luls. I've actually been thinking of switching to an Apple for the first time since I like dat tiny one they came out with. Perhaps not.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:39 pm

bubbie wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:28 pm
Had to be reset to factory, which is fine, but the back up got drymounted up too somehow. Not happy. The genius there said I must have tapped some certain commands in a certain sequence that crashed the system. Obviously sounds like a bunch of standard bullshit they tell everybody.

Then she had a battery swollen up and they couldn’t recover her data, which is pretty ridiculous.
Worked at apple and repaired phones, neither of these things are unusual.

Back ups can get corrupted very easily and become unusable. It's always best to erase the phone and start as new whenever possible. This fixes most issues with phones.

And if a battery swells it can bend and damage internal components and you can't get data off that. One of the only ways to do so is to take all the components out and do more indepth data recovery and that is very expensive and complicated and not something apple does. Or any computer company for that matter.

Please remember to give me a satisfactory rating in your survey they send you.

Thank you for coming to the apple store. have a nice day.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!