The Ebay Advice Column

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Wed May 22, 2019 12:16 pm

Cbjornson wrote:
geezer wrote:Anyone use global shipping from ebay? A customer from Portugal wants a poster shipped there. I have never used their global service, so looking for a little advice. thanks.
All the time. Easiest thing ever. Once it arrives safely in Kentucky it’s no longer your problem. Any open cases/negative feedback are automatically reversed if there’s issues after it leaves the GSP facility. Plus it costs you literally nothing. Win/Win
Same boat here. It's been a breeze for me as far as shipping prints overseas.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Wed May 22, 2019 12:50 pm

Thirded. Love the gsp as a seller. Only ever had a couple issues and ebay took the hit for everything.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
Cbjornson
Art Expert

Wed May 22, 2019 12:50 pm

I use it for all my international shipping. I had a vinyl get beat to fudge on the way to the UK, buyer messaged me, I directed him to eBay, and they refunded him. Easy peasy. No money out of my pocket.
maden wrote:Never apologize on the internet.
gonzo303 wrote:This is Gonzos mom
geezer
Art Expert

Wed May 22, 2019 7:06 pm

Thanks for the input, you all!
ifonly216
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 23, 2019 3:28 pm

I just had the worst shipping ever from a ebayer! Dude put a rubber band on the print and put in a box! Needless to say USPS wasn't kind to said box. I told him I'd keep the print if he refunded me half of what I paid. Ugh, morons of the world never cease to amaze me........ :hanging:

No advice needed just venting.
" time wounds all the heals"
MJGallicchio
Art Expert

Fri May 24, 2019 5:56 am

I had a new buyer on eBay purchase something from me. The funds were put on hold and went through review and in that time the buyer changed his mind and asked me to cancel. I cancelled the sale through eBay and the buyer accepted.

Since then, the funds have cleared and the item is showing as "ready to ship." I have talked to numerous eBay representatives that say the funds will automatically be taken from my PayPal and refunded to the buyer. The buyer is claiming that eBay is telling him I must initiate the refund. Am I in the wrong here or is this just a miscommunication/potentially scam from the buyer?
soupysound
EB Team

Fri May 24, 2019 8:17 am

geezer wrote:Anyone use global shipping from ebay? A customer from Portugal wants a poster shipped there. I have never used their global service, so looking for a little advice. thanks.
GSP is "awesome" for USA sellers as they only have to pay to ship to KY (and ebay covers it after that). however, it sucks for INTL buyers due to the import fees/charges that are associated with the program (which i have heard are highly inaccurate). most knowledgeable buyers will shy away from it.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Fri May 24, 2019 8:30 am

soupysound wrote:
GSP is "awesome" for USA sellers as they only have to pay to ship to KY (and ebay covers it after that). however, it sucks for INTL buyers due to the import fees/charges that are associated with the program (which i have heard are highly inaccurate). most knowledgeable buyers will shy away from it.
Another great reason to use it, it weeds out the poors on it's own. I hate people justifying their lowballs with the fact they have to pay tax/import fees.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
soupysound
EB Team

Fri May 24, 2019 8:46 am

i'm saying... all things being equal.... one listing using GSP and another not, most buyers shy away from GSP. and if you mark the art properly via HS tariff codes, you can ensure you minimize their import fees. ebay GSP fees don't factor that into their calcs.
sixstringer
Art Expert

Fri May 24, 2019 10:25 am

soupysound wrote:uhhhh. has ebay considered the upcoming changes to paypal refunds? this is gonna be terrible for sellers. paypal seller fees are now non-refundable during any transaction cancellation/refund.

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/u ... icies-full
AMENDMENTS TO THE PAYPAL ACCOUNT USER AGREEMENT
We are updating the PayPal Account User Agreement for U.S. customers. These changes will go into effect on May 7, 2019.

We’re changing how we treat refunds. If you refund (partially or fully) a transaction to a buyer or a donation to a donor, there are no fees to make the refund, but the fees you originally paid as the seller will not be returned to you.
It looks like Paypal has postponed the fudged up refund fee policy update.
MJGallicchio
Art Expert

Fri May 24, 2019 2:42 pm

MJGallicchio wrote:I had a new buyer on eBay purchase something from me. The funds were put on hold and went through review and in that time the buyer changed his mind and asked me to cancel. I cancelled the sale through eBay and the buyer accepted.

Since then, the funds have cleared and the item is showing as "ready to ship." I have talked to numerous eBay representatives that say the funds will automatically be taken from my PayPal and refunded to the buyer. The buyer is claiming that eBay is telling him I must initiate the refund. Am I in the wrong here or is this just a miscommunication/potentially scam from the buyer?
Nevermind. Apparently the refund got screwed up because he had an unpaid claim against him.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
comountaingolf
Art Expert

Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:07 pm

Here's an interesting question: I'm in Denver. I made a sale earlier this week to a buyer in NYC. Re-sent the invoice this AM and noticed that it automatically added 8.8% NY Sales Tax. The invoice from earlier this week didn't include it so I'm thinking June 1 has something to do with it?

When you hover over the Sales Tax field, it states We're collecting this sales tax in accordance with applicable state law. You don't have to collect it and pay it to the state. When I look at my Dashboard, I was only charged the normal sellers fee. And again, when the sale was made earlier this week, the original invoice sent didn't list or add any Sales Tax. Only today when it was sent after the beginning of the new month.

Any ideas what the drymount is up?
Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!
> THC X 9 <
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:18 pm

OK I know it's a bad idea, but am I really at much risk of shipping to a non-confirmed paypal address if I ship using signature confirmation? I wouldn't normally consider it but the address they want me to ship to is in the same city as the confirmed address and seems likely they've just moved.
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)
Kramerica
Art Freak

Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:42 pm

I wouldn't do it.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:07 pm

comountaingolf wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:07 pm
Here's an interesting question: I'm in Denver. I made a sale earlier this week to a buyer in NYC. Re-sent the invoice this AM and noticed that it automatically added 8.8% NY Sales Tax. The invoice from earlier this week didn't include it so I'm thinking June 1 has something to do with it?

When you hover over the Sales Tax field, it states We're collecting this sales tax in accordance with applicable state law. You don't have to collect it and pay it to the state. When I look at my Dashboard, I was only charged the normal sellers fee. And again, when the sale was made earlier this week, the original invoice sent didn't list or add any Sales Tax. Only today when it was sent after the beginning of the new month.

Any ideas what the drymount is up?
yeah, i think theres a bit of a flaw there. just had the same. person bought an item. i went to send them an invoice and it also added the sales tax. the buyer paid before i could send the invoice and their payment had nothing with an added sales tax.

as for information about it.. https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees- ... es?id=4121
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral