Anything OBEY related

General art-related discussion.
egrimens
Art Expert

Thu May 09, 2019 6:41 pm

it is pretty crazy that about 30% of the run is or was on ebay, instead of the usual 10-15%.
Arterre
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 09, 2019 7:03 pm

Here’s a suggestion for a New feature on Expressobeans?
How about EB negotiate a deal with Obey to buy 200 prints on the release drop
then to be sold to the true obey fans who have 100+ obey prints in their collections ?
The times have changed , non/bot true fans cannot buy release prints. Today posts tell the story
Today I had a stress free morning. I didn’t even try to get a print... :pint:
fredo
Art God

Thu May 09, 2019 7:19 pm

<<adds 101 Obey prints to collection>>
just a foil for me today, thanks
dave
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 09, 2019 9:30 pm

egrimens wrote:it is pretty crazy that about 30% of the run is or was on ebay, instead of the usual 10-15%.
Kind of interesting that none are for sale or trade on here/EB.
chalkdust
Art Expert

Thu May 09, 2019 11:32 pm

you have to have 100 to be a tru fan?? :shock:
fredo
Art God

Thu May 09, 2019 11:40 pm

Manchild make-a-wish foundation rules are rules
just a foil for me today, thanks
Kdh12
Art Freak

Thu May 09, 2019 11:55 pm

It is a bit laughable that they put out statements against bots, flippers etc and the each release after has more prints on eBay than the one before
mmmm Beer :pint:
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Fri May 10, 2019 10:15 am

Could bots actually play a roll in the shipping screen hang up? Something like the site is flooded with the bots so quickly that it simply can't process all of the transactions being attempted. By no means am I a conspiracy theorist when it comes to bots, and haven't ever felt that drops were unfair because of them. I'm having a hard time understanding how anti-bot measures actually made it easier for them and that's why I'm asking.
I'm not someone else.
EgoDeath
Art Connoisseur

Fri May 10, 2019 10:17 am

The silver lining with all the new bots is once the FunkoFlip parasites find a new host they'll bottom out the market for a short time by having fire sales on all those tubes once their start parents nagging them about all the space they take up.

When that time will come though, who knows.
sleal16
Art Enthusiast

Fri May 10, 2019 10:30 am

GoBluePanic wrote:Could bots actually play a roll in the shipping screen hang up? Something like the site is flooded with the bots so quickly that it simply can't process all of the transactions being attempted. By no means am I a conspiracy theorist when it comes to bots, and haven't ever felt that drops were unfair because of them. I'm having a hard time understanding how anti-bot measures actually made it easier for them and that's why I'm asking.
Depending on the bot, but one of the ways those measures make it easier for them is that they have multiple threads/attempts going on at the same time outside a web browser. Shipping calculations still might take a while, but all the attempts just wait till they get a response from the serves, and not dependent on a web browser to receive and refresh it. When done manually and you're stuck there, some people might refresh and restarts the process, click something else in hopes they can clear the glitch, or just the browser gets stuck. As far as the shipping screen being stuck itself, yeah the extra traffic could have hindered the results, or some extra plugin Obey added to the store started causing conflicts. Theres too many variables, but the bottom line is that if someone leaves a bot alone to do its job, its "patience" to checkout out becomes the winning factor over people getting panicky...on average.
sleal16
Art Enthusiast

Fri May 10, 2019 10:33 am

Oh, and if you want to see how captchas really don't mean much to bots, and how it slows down manual checkouts...
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Fri May 10, 2019 10:44 am

Cool. Thanks, Sleal

:cheers:
I'm not someone else.
EgoDeath
Art Connoisseur

Fri May 10, 2019 10:47 am

Kdh12 wrote:It is a bit laughable that they put out statements against bots, flippers etc and the each release after has more prints on eBay than the one before
All these companies that cry "wE aRe cOmiTTed to aNti FliPPiNg" don't really give two shits. eBay has a program for brands to shut down listings that are against terms of service in one way or another. When the cookie crumbles, if Shep wanted to really do something to prevent resale he could but its probably not worth killing the hype to the brand.
slipry
Art Connoisseur

Fri May 10, 2019 11:29 am

EgoDeath wrote:
Kdh12 wrote:It is a bit laughable that they put out statements against bots, flippers etc and the each release after has more prints on eBay than the one before
All these companies that cry "wE aRe cOmiTTed to aNti FliPPiNg" don't really give two shits. eBay has a program for brands to shut down listings that are against terms of service in one way or another. When the cookie crumbles, if Shep wanted to really do something to prevent resale he could but its probably not worth killing the hype to the brand.
Kozik always stated that flippers were fine; welcomed actually.

Why in the world would Shep ever stand in the way of accelerated cross pollination, immediate hype extension, price hike justifications, etc.?

His pieces will still get into the hands of the "real" collectors, whatever that means.

As stated above, most artists that are discussed on here don't only give two shits about it, but welcome the phenomena.
arkeiper
Art Enthusiast

Fri May 10, 2019 11:56 am

This is analogous to the stock market. Just substitute a couple words: IPO=drop algos=bots front running=instaflips on and on and on I do love the multiple layers of irony though.