A Wretched Hive - The Star Wars Movie Thread

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:58 pm

There is no trust left in my soul, just a void. They at least do solid trailers.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:24 pm

FrankBooth wrote:There is no trust left in my soul, just a void. They at least do solid trailers.
Devours
Art Connoisseur

Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:12 am

The teaser was brilliant and I loved the big 'drymount you' from JJ Abrams to the previous director.

No one really leaves. Here is Luke, Leia, Lando and the Emperor for y'all to gawk at.

Last Jedi was a travesty, one of the worst films of the past several years and so out of place with the rest of the movies.

Loved this and hopeful it will be solid.
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:10 am

Devours wrote:The teaser was brilliant and I loved the big 'drymount you' from JJ Abrams to the previous director.

No one really leaves. Here is Luke, Leia, Lando and the Emperor for y'all to gawk at.

Last Jedi was a travesty, one of the worst films of the past several years and so out of place with the rest of the movies.

Not really. JJ is a class-act dude. For all it’s “problems”, I’m happy TLJ took chances - obviously some didn’t pay off, but whatever - there’s always going to be another Star Wars movie. I’ve been a Star Wars fan for as long as I can remember but I never feel like I am “owed” anything with regards to the movies.

Hot take: The Rise of SKYWALKER = Kylo’s redemption. The proof is always in Williams score. When the Title “TROS” pops onto the screen, we hear the first two notes of Kylo’s (villain) theme, immediately transitioning into a major key. BOOM.
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!
rubberneck
Art God

Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:29 am

ccsmd598 wrote:
Devours wrote:The teaser was brilliant and I loved the big 'drymount you' from JJ Abrams to the previous director.

I’ve been a Star Wars fan for as long as I can remember but I never feel like I am “owed” anything with regards to the movies.
This. Also applies to new print releases.

Everything is a bonus and a new option to enjoy. Take it or leave it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
Thinker
Art Connoisseur

Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:38 pm

No matter how many of these films turn out to be bad, A new Star Wars trailer will always give me goosebumps. While my expectations are certainly checked, my hopes are sky high. I want them to take chances too, but TLJ didn't suck because of the chances they took, it sucked because of the objectively garbage writing, the characters all acting totally against logic and major plot points not making any sense.

That said. THRILLED Lando is going to be in it, in my opinion this is LONG overdue, he could have and should have been used in TLJ to maybe give Fin and Rose's dumb B story more of a point and purpose. Assuming in IX he is the one who answer's Leia's signal though.
finneganm
Art Freak

Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:44 pm

The Last Jedi was fine. It’s Star Wars.
That's what she said
mobius006
Art Freak

Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:19 pm

finneganm wrote:The Last Jedi was fine. It’s Star Wars.
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:18 pm

FrankBooth wrote:There is no trust left in my soul, just a void.
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:02 pm

I saw The Mandalorian footage today at Celebration, it looks solid af
rubberneck
Art God

Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:02 pm

Mandolorian footage is great.

More excited for it than this new saga.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
hunterjax
Art Expert

Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:40 am

rubberneck wrote:
ccsmd598 wrote:

I’ve been a Star Wars fan for as long as I can remember but I never feel like I am “owed” anything with regards to the movies.
This. Also applies to new print releases.

Everything is a bonus and a new option to enjoy. Take it or leave it.
I'm with CCSMD and RN on this . . . I like TLJ for the bold choices it made and some of the best shot scenes in all of the SW Universe of films. Were there choices I maybe didn't "want?" Probably, but I respect everything they did in it (except maybe Mary Poppins Leia flight, lol).
jkw3000
EB Trainee

Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:37 am

Eh, it's weird to think anybody there at Disney is giving a big F you to the guy who's apparently working with the GoT guys to plot out the future of Star Wars.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:43 am

JJ "plays it safe" with TFA...fans complain this movie is too safe! Basically ANH remake! SAD!

Rian Johnson takes chances with TLJ, tries to push boundaries and explore new ideas...fans complain he RUINED STAR WARS

I don't think I've heard someone that wasn't an adult complain about these movies. I fell in love with Star Wars when I was a child. Now that I am a 30 year old man, I understand that the "magic" of these movies does not affect me in the same way (for most at least). So when "fans" find reasons not to like the new installments, maybe take a second and think maybe I've grown up and these movies don't affect me the same way they used to. Something something appreciate it for what it is.
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:45 am

Abandon basic storytelling premise, call it bold choices.

Just feels like a wasted trilogy, very disjointed. Effects have been great but meh.

You get two extremes of movie creation, fans will complain. They didn't get the right directors for this but it also feels like movie by committee.