The Criterion Collection

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
mobius006
Art Freak

Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:56 pm

Been fine on android. Will push over CC to the tv. Exciting.
glenn1
Art Expert

Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:16 pm

The app never showed up when I searched on my Roku but I was able to install it by logging into my Roku account through a web browser and adding it from there.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:16 pm

glenn1 wrote:The app never showed up when I searched on my Roku but I was able to install it by logging into my Roku account through a web browser and adding it from there.
I did the same. Not sure why it won't show up when you search for it but whatever.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:40 pm

I've been having fun loading up my list. My wife and I have a 2019 movie project that we're working on aside from all of our regular viewing. By the end of the year, we want to have seen at least 5 movies we haven't previously seen from each of the director's on the list below. Between Criterion Blu-rays, the Houston Public Library, and Kanopy, we've had access to a decent amount, but that has probably more than doubled now that the Criterion Channel is active. Super pumped to have access to all these options without having to seek them out or buy them blind.

Ingmar Bergman
Robert Bresson
Federico Fellini
Akira Kurosawa
Kenji Mizoguchi
Yasujiro Ozu
Satyajit Ray
Jean Renoir
Andrei Tarkovsky
Orson Welles
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:44 pm

Areas of opportunity:

I hope we get a Viewing History section at some point. I find them very useful.

There has to be a better way to fast forward and rewind. Currently, I think the only way to do it is in 10 second increments... ugh. You can't even jump ahead to the next chapter.

When I perform a search on the site, it would be nice if the results came up in some kind of order. Alphabetical or chronological or something. Not just mishmashed all together.
mobius006
Art Freak

Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:47 pm

mobius006 wrote:Been fine on android. Will push over CC to the tv. Exciting.
WHY IS CHROMECAST IN THE APP IF IT STILL DOESNT WORK

Also, I think older devices are limited to a lower playlist, my 2016 fire stick looked like I got a lower bitrate vs what I'm pulling on pc.
Last edited by mobius006 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:49 pm

But does it have Weekend at Bernie's?
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:51 pm

Darkknight37 wrote:But does it have Weekend at Bernie's?
No, but it has the b&w, silent French film it was based on 8)
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:53 pm

I forgot one area of opportunity:

I wish I could move around the movies in my list. It would be nice to be able to easily sort them.
mobius006
Art Freak

Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:55 pm

In the end. I'm really happy with day one, and they have a year to get things moving and fixed. This was a 'put your money where your mouth is' thing anyways.

They got me for a year, and we'll go from there.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:06 pm

RottenAtom wrote: Super pumped to have access to all these options without having to seek them out or buy them blind.

Ingmar Bergman
Akira Kurosawa
Yasujiro Ozu
I did the same for these guys. I've seen a decent amount of Kurosawa, only a handful of Bergman (I'm hesitant to buy the Blu-Ray blindly). Unsure if I've seen anything from Ozu or not.

Just wondering if it's just me but before launch Criterion claimed to have 1,000+ movies on the site. Without searching for a movie every time, has anybody been able to see their entire catalog anywhere? I just wanna flip through to see what they have to offer. I find this to be a great way to pique my interest in titles I've never heard of before or never seen.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:36 pm

Has anybody seen The Fabulous Baron Munchausen? I loved it! It's a Czechoslovakian live-action/animated film that feels like it was made on another planet. Makes most modern animated films feel bland and boring. It's super creative and lots of fun.

I always liked Terry Gilliam's Munchausen film, but I had never seen this one. Recommended.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:02 pm

Irishman12 wrote:
RottenAtom wrote: Super pumped to have access to all these options without having to seek them out or buy them blind.

Ingmar Bergman
Akira Kurosawa
Yasujiro Ozu
I did the same for these guys. I've seen a decent amount of Kurosawa, only a handful of Bergman (I'm hesitant to buy the Blu-Ray blindly). Unsure if I've seen anything from Ozu or not.

Just wondering if it's just me but before launch Criterion claimed to have 1,000+ movies on the site. Without searching for a movie every time, has anybody been able to see their entire catalog anywhere? I just wanna flip through to see what they have to offer. I find this to be a great way to pique my interest in titles I've never heard of before or never seen.
Lots of movies on the site, but as far as I know, no way to browse the entire collection yet. I've been using the search function and just plugging in directors. Another way to get ideas is to go to Criterion's website or the wikipedia page with the entire collection listed and look through that, then check the channel. Not everything will be there, but lots of it is. Here's an article with a bunch of recommendations:

https://www.vulture.com/article/criteri ... hb9fUa5Wlk

Work your way up to Ozu and then ease your way in with I WAS BORN, BUT... and GOOD MORNING. (The latter is often described as a remake of the former, but they're only connected loosely. The former is b&w, silent, and quite funny. The latter came later in his career, is color and is also funny/charming. Ozu is challenging (slow) for some (many) people. His highest regarded film is TOKYO STORY, but you should work up to it and save it until after you've seen some of his others.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:27 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
Irishman12 wrote:

Ingmar Bergman
Akira Kurosawa
Yasujiro Ozu

Lots of movies on the site, but as far as I know, no way to browse the entire collection yet. I've been using the search function and just plugging in directors. Another way to get ideas is to go to Criterion's website or the wikipedia page with the entire collection listed and look through that, then check the channel. Not everything will be there, but lots of it is. Here's an article with a bunch of recommendations:

https://www.vulture.com/article/criteri ... hb9fUa5Wlk

Work your way up to Ozu and then ease your way in with I WAS BORN, BUT... and GOOD MORNING. (The latter is often described as a remake of the former, but they're only connected loosely. The former is b&w, silent, and quite funny. The latter came later in his career, is color and is also funny/charming. Ozu is challenging (slow) for some (many) people. His highest regarded film is TOKYO STORY, but you should work up to it and save it until after you've seen some of his others.
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I thought about looking through Criterion's website to get ideas as well. Any idea why all of their movies aren't available on the channel? Also, if you do see their entire catalog at any point, please let us know as I'm curious to see everything they're offering.

As for Ozu or any director really is I like to watch their filmography in order. Watch them grow as a director. I'll do so with Bergman as well as I've only seen about 4 or 5 of his movies.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:37 pm

Irishman12 wrote:Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I thought about looking through Criterion's website to get ideas as well. Any idea why all of their movies aren't available on the channel? Also, if you do see their entire catalog at any point, please let us know as I'm curious to see everything they're offering.

As for Ozu or any director really is I like to watch their filmography in order. Watch them grow as a director. I'll do so with Bergman as well as I've only seen about 4 or 5 of his movies.
Not sure why. I think they still have a lot of work to do on the back end. I would think they'll make it easier to browse the collection.

Good call on watching them in order. I like to do that as well :clap: