World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:50 pm

ChefFerrari wrote:
Irishman12 wrote:I bought a bottle of Tin Cup recently and really enjoyed it. Smooth. Yesterday picked up some Bulleit Bourbon. I know it's incredibly rare to find but anybody have any luck tracking down Blanton's?
Got a bottle yesterday for $10 over state minimum
Dang, where was this? In Texas and New York they're hard to come by.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:40 pm

If anyone is looking to trade prints for GOT scotch I'm your guy :pint:
NoseSpray
Art Expert

Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:19 am

I received two bottles of Dewar's white label and a bottle of JW Red. At first glance, you'd think I have no clue what I'm talking about. But wait.

One bottle of Dewar's is from 1982-1983 and another from 1973-1976 (based on the tax strips), and the JW Red is from 1989 or earlier (no surgeon general's warning, but does have a UPC). This is all based on cursory research, but what I found with regard to dating bottles seems pretty detailed. Here's the source I used for the Dewar's bottles: http://thewhiskeyjug.com/whiskey/how-to ... f-whiskey/ . They aren't worth much, from what I can find, but still pretty neat.

Here's a pics:

Irishman12
Art Expert

Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:01 pm

Very nice NoseSpray! I'm about halfway in to my Bulleit Bourbon and a friend recommended I try Amador Double Barrel Bourbon. Anyone ever have it before?
Danno1
Art Expert

Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:45 pm

Don't forget that the O.F.C. (1993 Vintage)/Double Eagle Very Rare Bottle Lottery kicks off at 12:01 a.m. tomorrow!

You have until 11:59 p.m. Friday, April 5 to enter.

Good luck!

Thats from the upcoming Ohio bottle lottery. Retail price for said raffle you ask? $2,500 for the OFC and $2,000 for the DEVR. I thought it was a joke!
stay thirsty my friends
jjbehren
Flipper

Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:02 pm

Danno1 wrote:Don't forget that the O.F.C. (1993 Vintage)/Double Eagle Very Rare Bottle Lottery kicks off at 12:01 a.m. tomorrow!

You have until 11:59 p.m. Friday, April 5 to enter.

Good luck!

Thats from the upcoming Ohio bottle lottery. Retail price for said raffle you ask? $2,500 for the OFC and $2,000 for the DEVR. I thought it was a joke!
I missed a bottle of OFC by minutes. I would have bought the fudge out of that thing and traded it for a grip of good stuff that I actually would have drank.
Danno1
Art Expert

Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:01 am

I just can't see myself laying down that kind of money for a bottle. I entered the lottery because I honestly thought it was a typo at first.
stay thirsty my friends
Danno1
Art Expert

Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:23 pm

Had my absolute very, very first taste of Scotch this evening. Bought a bottle of Great King St Artist Blend quite awhile ago at the recommendation from a local into Scotch. Just never got around to cracking it open. Truth be told I really like it. Probably an excellent suggestion for a new to Scotch try from the local. Fairly light with a very nice fruit, apricot finish. I am really surprised at just how much I like it. The finish just hit me anyway so well with the fruitiness, very impressed. I can see this one being a regular around here. With all the bourbons starting to go full on strong punch ya in the gut as of late it was nice to just sit back with something a tad bit tamer and a little more refreshing so to say.

Wife's opinion is its just ok. She has a much better palate then mine and prefers the fuller juice for sure. So if you like the bolder taste its probably not for you. I think she has gotten to a point whereby even adding water to any bourbon is sacrilegious.

My father went to Scotland 10 years ago to play golf for a solid week. Toured all the distilleries while there and brought back a lot of scotch, I didn't get a single drop of it, not a one. Moved him out of his bi--- wife's house bout a year after that and she had it all hidden. So he left without a drop himself. Knowing him he probably had some really, really good stuff too.
stay thirsty my friends
fredo
Art God

Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:25 pm

There's a scotch for everyone!

You've probably had advice out the arse, but if you like bourbons then a non-peated highland might suit. I recommend the Glenfarclas 15 or older.
just a foil for me today, thanks
jjbehren
Flipper

Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:22 pm

Also, if you're looking for something a little different to have around, I'm loving the Nikka From the Barrel. You might have to go to the secondary market to get it, but it can be had for $80ish there. It's got the caramel flavors of bourbon and the malty, oak, tobacco, and very subtle smoke flavors I associate more with scotch. Really unique and really great.
Danno1
Art Expert

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:51 pm

Would love to have some Nikka Barrel, doubt it will ever be around here.

Not brown but Gin. Never had it. Am I missing anything? Getting kind of popular around here.
stay thirsty my friends
mtarail
Art Expert

Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:53 pm

I'd also suggest Stranahan's or Balcone's single malt to folks who are dabbling in scotch. Those american offerings are beasts of their own, but they have more in common, imho, with scotch than bourbon in terms of the flavor profiles.
ChefFerrari
Art Expert

Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:06 am

jjbehren wrote:Also, if you're looking for something a little different to have around, I'm loving the Nikka From the Barrel. You might have to go to the secondary market to get it, but it can be had for $80ish there. It's got the caramel flavors of bourbon and the malty, oak, tobacco, and very subtle smoke flavors I associate more with scotch. Really unique and really great.
I got some a couple of weeks ago, it's crazy how good it is.

Also be on the look out for Legent, it's really good big bold flavors.
jjbehren
Flipper

Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:28 am

Danno1 wrote:Would love to have some Nikka Barrel, doubt it will ever be around here.

Not brown but Gin. Never had it. Am I missing anything? Getting kind of popular around here.
You can get it relatively cheap on the secondary since it's pretty available internationally. Or I think you can order it from here whenever you'd like (pretty sure shipping isn't a problem, but it might depend on your state), but it's cheaper on the secondary market:

https://dekanta.com/store/nikka-from-the-barrel/

The non-US version is 500ml and comes in a box. The US release is 750ml, no box, and most likely impossible to find now at retail. I've heard there are some differences in flavor between the two, but that might just be batch variation, too, since it's a blend.
poopsicle
Art Expert

Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:00 pm

Just returned from a trip to Japan with this guy. I had no suitcase room so I bought it from the limited duty-free section in the Narita Airport. I'm familiar with Suntory but not Chita, anyone try this before?
You can't spread peanut butter on a porpoise.