Anything OBEY related

General art-related discussion.
ToonKiller
Art Expert

Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:14 pm

jjttdw wrote:The only Obey prints I regret not buying on the drop were the ones I didn't go for. I even kinda regret not picking up a big proof.
QFT

and I hate these so I know I have to go for’em.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:16 pm

Luls. #trufans
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:22 am

sometimes hard to determine where the Mondos end and the Obeyers begin..
toobs
Art Expert

Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:12 pm

:hanging:
wonkabars7 wrote:sometimes hard to determine where the Mondos end and the Obeyers begin..
:hanging:
Codeblue wrote:Ya know they'll put out at least 1 "ZOMG gotta rub mah nuts on another dukes butt to get in line for it" poster.
KingOfNothing
Art Connoisseur

Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:56 pm

I'll be trying for the orange version. Its been a while since I've tried for a drop, I'm a bit rusty so I won't be disappointed if I take an L.
NEVER FORGET Image 02/14/14
Je préfère mourir sur mes pieds que de vivre à genoux
dolamite24
Art Connoisseur

Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:57 pm

Was there a set option on the Bad Reputation release?
dodgers77
Art Expert

Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:08 pm

dolamite24 wrote:Was there a set option on the Bad Reputation release?
Nope, just different drop times, 10am and 11am.
dolamite24
Art Connoisseur

Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:47 pm

dodgers77 wrote:
dolamite24 wrote:Was there a set option on the Bad Reputation release?
Nope, just different drop times, 10am and 11am.
Guess I should read the entire IG post before getting myself all worked up... hahaha. Thanks.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:18 pm

It’s Joy Division X Obey. drymounting ‘uge. Perfectly targets shep’s biggest fan’s age demographic with one of that demographic’s most iconic music-related images, plus Andre. Buy all day up until $137.76, hold for 17-19 months, approximate ROI of 148% +/-3% depending on separate resale of included stickers.

Feel free to pm me about a subscription to my e-newsletter with more info on short-term potential, the preferable colorway, future edition advice, Obay Giant drop day tipz, and more. :!:
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:24 pm

Luls.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
hax0n
Art Expert

Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:42 pm

Why did EGT just publicly post that private flip report? :evil:

electrachrome wrote:None of us who are responsible for this website really have any idea how it works
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:02 pm

hax0n wrote:Why did EGT just publicly post that private flip report? :evil:
Codeblue wrote:TGT
Codeblue wrote:Luls.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
DickButt
Art Expert

Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:29 am

earlgreytoast wrote:It’s Joy Division X Obey. drymounting ‘uge. Perfectly targets shep’s biggest fan’s age demographic with one of that demographic’s most iconic music-related images, plus Andre. Buy all day up until $137.76, hold for 17-19 months, approximate ROI of 148% +/-3% depending on separate resale of included stickers.

Feel free to pm me about a subscription to my e-newsletter with more info on short-term potential, the preferable colorway, future edition advice, Obay Giant drop day tipz, and more. :!:
You should get in touch with the guy who started that HCG Stock thread.
dodgers77
Art Expert

Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:49 am

:lol:
KingOfNothing
Art Connoisseur

Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:53 pm

Meh, hardly “the most iconic image” from the band or that of Ian… AND it might not even be Ian Curtis’ image he’s using here (there’s no mention that it is) although I do think it is. It's a still pict from an obscure live performance at a tiny club in Manchester they played at about a year prior to his suicide. If it is Ian’s picture that is in this print I would hope Shep paid a royalty to Ian’s widow and the photographer/videographer who he’s borrowing the image from, but highly I doubt that too because none of that is mentioned in the details. We only get a loose “inspired by” reference in the sales description.

Obey wearing kids and fans of JD/New Order don’t run in the same circles. At least not as much as Shep would hope that they do. 99.999% of Shep's “Demo” don't know who or what Joy Division is. Fact is, Shep's majority fan base, the Zummies-mall-crowd-wanna-be-douche-bag-hipsters who shop at Hot Topic/Urban Outfitters might know of the cover from Unknown Pleasures (definitely JD's most well known image/T-shirt) because it's worn by every 10th grader in high school but that’s about as close as the crossover gets.

As far as it being the most 'iconic" or recognizable image of Ian Curtis that Shep is using here. If Shep had used the better known image of Ian holding the mic right in front of his mouth (from the same gig) it would be more recognizable or even the radio waves from Unknown Pleasures but even Shep knows better to even bother approaching the remaining members of JD/NO or Peter Saville for permission to use that graphic because it would be borderline blasphemy. It’s one thing if he appropriates an image to plaster on the streets as a one-off, it’s another if he uses it for profit from print sales without compensating those involved. And show this to any JD fan without telling them the name of the print and ask them who they see, they’re more likely to say it’s the actor from 2001 a Space Oddessy.

Agree on the sarcastic flip potential, albeit small, but it does short-term flip mainly because of Andre not at all because of Ian. Long-term value, barely even money.
NEVER FORGET Image 02/14/14
Je préfère mourir sur mes pieds que de vivre à genoux