HCG stock?

General art-related discussion.
LordCrom
Art Enthusiast

Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:08 pm

Hello,

My apologies if this question has been answered elsewhere. I was curious why HCG has such a large range of available prints in stock versus other sites such as Mondo, Bottleneck and Gray Matter? Is there a reason their items seem to be in stock for a longer period of time? I know most of the other sites seem to sale out in minutes. Is there a quality issue? I’ve ordered from both HCG and Bottleneck recently.

Are there any other sites I should be looking at besides the ones I’ve listed above?

Thanks in advance,
Clay
Buckhammer
Art Expert

Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:12 pm

LordCrom wrote:Hello,

My apologies if this question has been answered elsewhere. I was curious why HCG has such a large range of available prints in stock versus other sites such as Mondo, Bottleneck and Gray Matter? Is there a reason their items seem to be in stock for a longer period of time? I know most of the other sites seem to sale out in minutes. Is there a quality issue? I’ve ordered from both HCG and Bottleneck recently.

Are there any other sites I should be looking at besides the ones I’ve listed above?

Thanks in advance,
Clay
HCG is 95% unlicensed prints. The only time it's licensed is if it states it... HCG also has had some negative issues with shipping, product quality and customer service. People seem to stay away a bit now. As for other sites: Black Dragon Press, Nautlitus prints (owned by the Durieux brothers), Mad Duck Posters, Skuzzles ( who have been quiet as of late) are some that come to mind.
RobJones wrote:Billy, how Everest was I last night?
LordCrom
Art Enthusiast

Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:23 pm

Buckhammer wrote:
LordCrom wrote:Hello,

Thanks in advance,
Clay
HCG is 95% unlicensed prints. The only time it's licensed is if it states it... HCG also has had some negative issues with shipping, product quality and customer service. People seem to stay away a bit now. As for other sites: Black Dragon Press, Nautlitus prints (owned by the Durieux brothers), Mad Duck Posters, Skuzzles ( who have been quiet as of late) are some that come to mind.

Thanks for the additional sites and information. Does this tend to lead to low resale value for your prints purchased through HCG?
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:28 pm

Luls.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
maddoghoek100
Art Expert

Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:37 pm

take this with a grain of salt and in the spirit it is intended. It sounds like you are going about this wrong. If you see a thing that you really like by an artist you enjoy, for a property you have an affinity for you should buy it. If you assume that anything you buy will have any resale value in the future you are making a mistake.

The fact that something is widely available at source is NO INDICATION of its future resale value. Banksy prints could be bought at cost at source for long periods of time and the price of Banksy prints seems to be fine. Other things sell out instantly and can not be resold for cost weeks later. Fast sellouts are a measure of hype and hype is rarely a measure of long term value.

Buy what you like, enjoy what you buy. Hero complex prints are no better or worse than mondo prints, but mondo does have a bigger mailing list, a larger twitter following, etc.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:38 pm

Codeblue wrote:Oof
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
LordCrom
Art Enthusiast

Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:46 pm

maddoghoek100 wrote:take this with a grain of salt and in the spirit it is intended. It sounds like you are going about this wrong. If you see a thing that you really like by an artist you enjoy, for a property you have an affinity for you should buy it. If you assume that anything you buy will have any resale value in the future you are making a mistake.

The fact that something is widely available at source is NO INDICATION of its future resale value. Banksy prints could be bought at cost at source for long periods of time and the price of Banksy prints seems to be fine. Other things sell out instantly and can not be resold for cost weeks later. Fast sellouts are a measure of hype and hype is rarely a measure of long term value.

Buy what you like, enjoy what you buy. Hero complex prints are no better or worse than mondo prints, but mondo does have a bigger mailing list, a larger twitter following, etc.

You’re right. I do like the prints I ordered from HCG and was really glad they were available. I was disappointed the value of my ET purchase from Bottleneck hasn’t retained their value for trade/sale. It’s the collector in me that worries about the resale/trade value. I’m going to put those thoughts aside and just purchase what I like. Thank you!
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:32 pm

something something oversized playing cards
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!
kansasbbq
Art God

Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:26 pm

Because HCG sucks!
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
jjttdw
Art Expert

Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:32 pm

Wait, everything I buy may not go up in value? WTF!! :twisted: :twisted:
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
LordCrom
Art Enthusiast

Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:01 pm

jjttdw wrote:Wait, everything I buy may not go up in value? WTF!! :twisted: :twisted:
I’m more concerned with it keeping its value for trade purposes more so than its value increasing.
glenn1
Art Expert

Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:08 pm

LordCrom wrote:+1 of each. Very proud owner of a Struzan.
What happened to that Struzan pride?
LordCrom
Art Enthusiast

Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:18 pm

glenn1 wrote:
LordCrom wrote:+1 of each. Very proud owner of a Struzan.
What happened to that Struzan pride?
I took it out of the packaging today and felt the colors were muted. I still love, Struzan.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:08 pm

I'm totes bearish on HCG.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
maddoghoek100
Art Expert

Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:04 am

LordCrom wrote: I took it out of the packaging today and felt the colors were muted. I still love, Struzan.
just to chime in one more time. it sounds a bit like your doing it wrong. IF you do buy things that you think will have value you are going to want to store them flat. I assume the packaging is a tube and leaving things in the tube is frowned upon, can definitely damage the work, and makes resale much more difficult. If you buy what you like and you cant hang all you buy grab one of those nice portfolios form the bottleneck boys so you can flip through the things you like on the regular. They are a very strong value.