Akira 11 Stout

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
jkw3000
EB Team

Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:47 pm

I'm sure the sell isn't that it's licensed, it's that it's a Stout.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
mike123230
Art Expert

Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:54 pm

wait. This is unlicensed? Why I never! I'm tearing this up when I get home.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:52 pm

mike123230 wrote:wait. This is unlicensed? Why I never! I'm tearing this up when I get home.
Just send it to me, I will take care of it for you. :D
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
mike123230
Art Expert

Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:55 pm

Kramerica wrote:
mike123230 wrote:wait. This is unlicensed? Why I never! I'm tearing this up when I get home.
Just send it to me, I will take care of it for you. :D
you're a good friend.
Flaymz
Art Enthusiast

Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:40 am

Kramerica wrote:
Flaymz wrote:What makes this official as opposed to, say, the new Man Tsun Tsang EXPLODE?
I am pretty sure this is unlicensed.
So how does one know on a film print whether it's licensed? I'm looking at ebeans' "official" or "fan art" status and determining whether, for instance, a studio said, "cool, make the print."
It would become more important for a film like The Matrix where there appears to be fewer prints done for the film and it would be more important for me as a hardcore fan of the film to know whether the people who made the film or who were involved essentially signed off on the print. Similar to what you've told me about likeness rights, Kramerica. Also, is there some way to find out if a thread has had comments made on it because you guys jumped on the answer and there hasn't been anyone commenting on this print for over a year.
OtomoChaser
Art Expert

Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:08 pm

As soon as a post is commented on, it goes to the top of the 'view new posts' section of the forum. Also, if somebody has commented prior they can find this thread in their 'view your posts' section.

This piece is a grail for many, so when the thread gets bumped it tends to be seen and responded to fairly rapidly.

Oh, and you could turn on notifications for individual threads so you'd get an email following each post if you really wanted.
VROOOOM!!! TETSUOOOO!!! Image
アキラ
Kramerica
Art Freak

Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:11 pm

Flaymz wrote:
Kramerica wrote:
Flaymz wrote:What makes this official as opposed to, say, the new Man Tsun Tsang EXPLODE?
So how does one know on a film print whether it's licensed? I'm looking at ebeans' "official" or "fan art" status and determining whether, for instance, a studio said, "cool, make the print."
It would become more important for a film like The Matrix where there appears to be fewer prints done for the film and it would be more important for me as a hardcore fan of the film to know whether the people who made the film or who were involved essentially signed off on the print. Similar to what you've told me about likeness rights, Kramerica. Also, is there some way to find out if a thread has had comments made on it because you guys jumped on the answer and there hasn't been anyone commenting on this print for over a year.
I don't really know how you could tell if you were just looking at a print. These days, it's a safe bet that anything Mondo releases is licensed but that was not always the case. The EB database is a good resource but it is certainly not error proof.

I wasn't collecting movie posters when this print was released so I don't have direct experience. My understanding from what has been told to me is, when planning the Mondo Mystery Movie event, Mondo wanted Stout to be able to do any movie he wanted and he wanted to do Akira. They couldn't or didn't secure the rights to the film but since it was a Mondo Mystery Movie event, they just sold a high priced movie ticket that included a print.

That's all second hand, so it maybe didn't play out exactly like that, but that's why I say this print was not licensed.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:13 pm

OtomoChaser wrote:As soon as a post is commented on, it goes to the top of the 'view new posts' section of the forum. Also, if somebody has commented prior they can find this thread in their 'view your posts' section.

This piece is a grail for many, so when the thread gets bumped it tends to be seen and responded to fairly rapidly.

Oh, and you could turn on notifications for individual threads so you'd get an email following each post if you really wanted.

I thought you died. Leave it to the akira thread to bring ya back
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
rubberneck
Art God

Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:09 am

Kramerica wrote:
Flaymz wrote:
Kramerica wrote:
I don't really know how you could tell if you were just looking at a print. These days, it's a safe bet that anything Mondo releases is licensed but that was not always the case. The EB database is a good resource but it is certainly not error proof.

I wasn't collecting movie posters when this print was released so I don't have direct experience. My understanding from what has been told to me is, when planning the Mondo Mystery Movie event, Mondo wanted Stout to be able to do any movie he wanted and he wanted to do Akira. They couldn't or didn't secure the rights to the film but since it was a Mondo Mystery Movie event, they just sold a high priced movie ticket that included a print.

That's all second hand, so it maybe didn't play out exactly like that, but that's why I say this print was not licensed.
Pretty much. Pre 2010 was the wild west of Mondo licence approvals. This was in their more conservative era with Lucasfilm already on board so they had to be careful.

They got around Moss Dr Who at Opening Exhibition by collectors having to ask for a Sonic Screw Driver (not advertised) which then came with a 'free' print.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
posterfromfrance
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 24, 2018 6:39 am

Hi,

I have a little problem with a customer.

He bought from me a “regular” Akira by Tyler Stout and want to return the print because the paper is browner than the “variant” he already owns.

I told him that most of the Stout prints for Mondo were printed on different papers for the “regular” and the “variant”.

If a maximum of people can confirm that both prints were printed on different paper, and the “regular” on a browner paper than the “variant”, this could help me to find a solution with this client

Thanks for your help

Dominique
Kramerica
Art Freak

Thu May 24, 2018 9:04 am

I would just send an email over to Tyler and ask him to confirm, that's your best bet as far as a definitive source. Him or someone like Mitch would probably be a more reliable source for your buyer as opposed to a bunch of collectors that you have solicited information from.
posterfromfrance
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 24, 2018 9:16 am

Hi Mark,
Thanks for your post. Of course I sent the same message to Tyler, waiting for his answer
D.
rubberneck
Art God

Thu May 24, 2018 9:25 am

For a $2900 poster sale, it's probably best to keep the customer happy.

Just make sure it's not a buy and switch :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
Woo5lscott
Art Expert

Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:53 am

I finally got a variant
theperfecttree
EB Team

Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:48 pm

nice

still haven't seen a variant in person