Art of the Year - 2018

General art-related discussion.
downforcemedia
Art Expert

Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:30 pm

Hard not to nominate this.

Lies are a funny thing. They slip through your fingertips because they never happened to you. Time wounds all the heals as we fade out of view
fredo
Art God

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:56 am

Guess we can vote now.

Winters' Primus was an easy pick among a godawful meager gigposters selection.
just a foil for me today, thanks
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:27 am

Glad to see so many Nine Inch Nails posters in the mix! :pint:
My votes ended up being:

Poster:

Cinema:

Art Print:

fredo wrote:an easy pick among a godawful meager gigposters selection.
I disagree with you there. The poster category was actually the hardest for me. I found it an incredibly strong year for gigposters. Cinema was a lot easier, though there were still a couple of tough decisions.
So it goes...
Woo5lscott
Art Expert

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:13 pm

Purple Rain
fredo
Art God

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:24 pm

mfaith wrote:
fredo wrote:an easy pick among a godawful meager gigposters selection.
I disagree with you there. The poster category was actually the hardest for me. I found it an incredibly strong year for gigposters. Cinema was a lot easier, though there were still a couple of tough decisions.
I didn't think it was too bad a year for gigposters. In terms of those nominated it seemed thin though. as you'd expect given the shitshow that is this site lately. Couple of (really) strong tours represented and Burwell had a great year, but....

Then again it's easy to miss things in the EB voting format. In the past I've had to start over having missed a poster I was looking to vote for on an earlier page.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:29 pm

What'd you get for the other two categories?
So it goes...
fredo
Art God

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:49 pm

Tobin's House of the Devil for cinema - it did the job best imo. I assume the Ansin will win in a landslide, which it probably deserves. Just wasn't totally my bag after a few looks. Also dug Danger's Shape of Water and The dancing Texas Chainsaw guy and Durieux's Breakfast @ Tiffany's. Not that I've seen anything in person.

Haven't voted on the art print yet.
letstalkprints
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:52 pm

I wish after voting you could look again to browse but then again just nice that EB is working
I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game.
RiotAct
EB Team

Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:19 pm

lol I love how a third of the images during the voting process didn’t even load.
treweman
Art Expert

Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:36 pm

wottagunn wrote:this by a mile. I think it's absolutely incredible, in both what it represents and its delivery.

I couldn’t agree more. The Horkey prints were strong, but the Pejac is just lights out.
letstalkprints
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:06 pm

Ya for art print I think its between this and Maze
letstalkprints
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:25 pm

Wondering how a print that is printed as both a gig and as an art print can be listed in AOTY. I guess based on votes of AOTW? Main example AJ Masthay. Listed as art print but not listed under gig? Please replace gig for the correct word in the poll.
letstalkprints
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:29 pm

SoothSeer to be specific. Maybe was under gig (or whatever the category is for that) but didn't see it, only under art print.
bubbie
Art Expert

Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:54 am

mfaith wrote: Poster:
Had this one until LalndLand's Phish in George. Got to the next page with EMEK's Perl Jam and Winter's Primus. Debated for a while and picked Winters. Hit back at some point to look at EMEK and Winters side by side again and it took me to the page with LandLand, so I picked that assuming I will get to the next page but I was told thank you for voting. I guess LandLand it is :lol:

Which I am fine with. It was between these four prints for me anyway. EMEK PJ and Winters Primus are in the lead and back to back though and I am not really sure which one is better. I haven't seen Primus in person yet and I think if I did, it would have sealed the deal.

I'd have to agree with mfaith, it was a pretty great year for gig posters. Burwell had a great year. There were a couple of eads I really liked and did not see during voting (I am sure I didn't get to go through all 7 or whatever pages though). NIN had a great selection this year, probably the strongest I saw for one band in any given year. Almost no losers there from what I saw. Metallica, on the other hand, was a complete disappointment. Even Winters did not save that one or maybe my expectations were a bit too high.

Tried to go through cinema twice now but dropped out in the middle/end. Leaning toward Woodson's Solaris. Lots of garbage there.

Did not go through art yet. Unless I am forgetting something, Pejac wins hands down.
fredo wrote:In terms of those nominated it seemed thin though.
I agree and I don't think I saw at least a couple that I personally nominated (again, not sure I got to see all the posters before it chose the LandLand for me). I also agree that it is easy to miss something, especially when an image does not load. Last year I could not find EMEK's Radiohead and thought it was not there to only see it in the "rankings" once the voting was over, lol.
turnJBup
Art Freak

Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:04 am

downforcemedia wrote:Hard not to nominate this.

Yup.