Stock Market Discussion

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
jamel-d
Art Freak

Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:51 pm

Last four weeks have been brutal. Hopefully, today's the turnaround. If the market closes hire tomorrow, it will be the only back to back up days this month. Facebook earnings after hours may give momentum into tomorrow and beyond.
pvecchi
Art Expert

Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:30 pm

jamel-d wrote:Last four weeks have been brutal. Hopefully, today's the turnaround. If the market closes hire tomorrow, it will be the only back to back up days this month. Facebook earnings after hours may give momentum into tomorrow and beyond.
I think we will have to wait until after the elections and even after that there might be some more wild volatility.

I’m thinking if dems can pick up some seats it might be good for stabilizing things. The tax cuts / buybacks are prices in, now the uncertainty with things like tariffs seem to be taking center stage. Sold quite a few things in August and parked money on the sidelines anticipating this....been just holding my Apple, McDonalds, Sirius (ouch) and my gamble in Fannie commons. I’d like to get back in sometime but have little confidence right now in the overall market
pvecchi
Art Expert

Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:35 pm

HenryGaleWasHere wrote:
Bought some AMD stock last week, wish I would have gotten in a few months earlier :cry:
Been eyeing Micron lately. Might just jump in soon
cktbreaker
Art Expert

Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:24 am

Anyone catch that CRON move today?
RiotAct
EB Team

Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:34 pm

pvecchi wrote: I’m thinking if dems can pick up some seats it might be good for stabilizing things.
Whoops.
samuraiwriter
Art Expert

Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:52 am

Still on the sidelines, watching the show.
I suspect I'll be waiting a while longer.
fredo
Art God

Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:07 am

Have You Talked to Choe?
just a foil for me today, thanks
tourist504
Art Expert

Fri May 31, 2019 2:39 pm

Anyone else riding the Waste Management (WM) bull? The only thing I have doing better is Cuyler Smith cards...
maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.
BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.
jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.
Imagex6
cktbreaker
Art Expert

Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:08 pm

exited half position this morning on GDXJ

to the .618 retracement

pvecchi
Art Expert

Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:23 am

RiotAct wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:34 pm
pvecchi wrote: I’m thinking if dems can pick up some seats it might be good for stabilizing things.
Whoops.
Seems like that’s exactly what happened starting in January.

The only thing that has been holding the market back is Trump. If he wasn’t so stupid or incompetent I’d say it’s market manipulation.

Any other President would have been accused of it long ago
willieaames
Art Enthusiast

Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:23 am

I'm confident NFLX will remain dominant streaming service in 5 yrs despite DIS , Hulu, AMZN.
soam24
Art Freak

Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:00 pm

willieaames wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:23 am
I'm confident NFLX will remain dominant streaming service in 5 yrs despite DIS , Hulu, AMZN.
Their debt / income ratio tho...
bubbie
Art Expert

Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:53 am

The run has really been pretty crazy as of late. For my ever changing basket the past two days were pretty great especially and yesterday in particular: averaged about 18% for the day, even a couple of “experimental” duds I bought for the “what if” moment had some pretty good gains (for no particular reason, but I will take it).

I get the “opening up” part and the “free money” and shitload of liquidity thrown in, but what the drymount is going on? The market was overheated like never before prior to the crash and the correction was, IMO, coming regardless sooner rather than later. Currently, I find the disconnect between this run and the reality quite fascinating. It seems to be even worse than February when it was pretty obvious what’s coming (and even exactly when). Except now I don’t find it as obvious though. The “when” part is most obscure. Not much to suggest that there is going to be a recovery in the near future. When is the next dip coming? Thoughts? Are we going to see the March lows again?

I sold everything prior to the crash. For a few weeks post the crash I went by the rule to hold nothing for the weekend with the exception of tech and some other random stuff. That rule treated me well. It is no longer the rule, but I am starting to feel a little uncomfortable again. I just don’t get the disconnect from reality. What am I missing, if anything? Southwest, Delta, and United gained 60, 70, and 85%, respectively, since May 15. Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Norwegian gained 45, 55, and 80% since the same date, respectively. Is anyone here planning to go on a cruise in the near future? Does anyone know anyone who is? Banks have been on fire as well for the past couple of weeks. I could have done better if I had bigger balls (and/or brain?), but I made some good money on both, air and cruise lines, and sold all (except for Air Canada) about a week ago because I just don’t see it.

Like I said, I get the “unlimited” liquidity, the opening up part, but I don’t get the economic data and market going the opposite directions. Do you? SP 500 is less than 10% off its way overvalued high in February, I believe.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:48 am

The rest of what I have is coming out in two weeks. I might throw a little in gold. I think the March lows or worse will come later in the year once the Q2 data comes in. We will start seeing high profile bankruptcies as well. To analogize, the economy was flat on its back and unconscious in April. The May U.S. jobs report is the equivalent the economy opening its eyes. It still needs to roll over, get to its hands and knees....

I think the big hope is that this will be a V shaped recession. I don't think that will be the case. Entire industries are being ruined...airlines....hotels....restaurants...bars....retail. Once people realize that this will take a few years to dig out from the markets will nose down IMO.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:37 pm

Ya obvs didn't hear American airlines announcement yesterday.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.