New Banksy Print

General art-related discussion.
Lukin56

Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:42 pm

mlinderer wrote:I think the difference in the color in the canvas in the frame and in what is shredded is due to a spotlight being pointed at that spot on the wall. You can see the light when they pull the frame down. Also, the canvas in the frame stops at the same time as the shredded parts. There is a slight delay in seeing shreds come out the bottom because i'm guessing is getting woven three the slicing mechanism before coming out the bottom. I see no reason for a person of Banksy's means and creativity to fake this with a 2nd pre-shredded copy hidden in the frame.
Correct
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:31 am

hmmm. now who's alt is this?
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
rubberneck
Art God

Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:11 am

Myth Busting Banksy
"The recent incident around Banksy embedding a shredder into the frame of his Girl With A Balloon has caught the world’s attention.
As a nerd obsessed with the intersection of art and tech, I too was sucked in over the weekend in trying to unravel the mysteries behind Banksy’s self-shredding painting. I believe I bring a unique perspective to the mystery. I spent five years of my life working alongside expert scientists and engineers investigating mechanical device failures and patent-infringement cases. My job was to create demonstrative evidence in the form of hundreds of courtroom exhibits. Additionally, I come from a family with varied engineering and science backgrounds: my younger brother Matt (a computer scientist), my older brother Brian (an embedded systems engineer), and my father (who designed battery-operated implantable medical devices for several decades). I reached out to them for some assistance."

https://www.artnome.com/news/2018/10/6/ ... ing-banksy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
acidburn
Art Daddy

Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:20 am

rubberneck wrote:Myth Busting Banksy
"The recent incident around Banksy embedding a shredder into the frame of his Girl With A Balloon has caught the world’s attention.
As a nerd obsessed with the intersection of art and tech, I too was sucked in over the weekend in trying to unravel the mysteries behind Banksy’s self-shredding painting. I believe I bring a unique perspective to the mystery. I spent five years of my life working alongside expert scientists and engineers investigating mechanical device failures and patent-infringement cases. My job was to create demonstrative evidence in the form of hundreds of courtroom exhibits. Additionally, I come from a family with varied engineering and science backgrounds: my younger brother Matt (a computer scientist), my older brother Brian (an embedded systems engineer), and my father (who designed battery-operated implantable medical devices for several decades). I reached out to them for some assistance."

This is great but at the end of the day, the general public will just always see it as a prank Banksy did on Sothebys and that's all that matters in the end. My grandma even mentioned it to me.
rubberneck
Art God

Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:42 am

acidburn wrote:

This is great but at the end of the day, the general public will just always see it as a prank Banksy did on Sothebys and that's all that matters in the end. My grandma even mentioned it to me.
Dat Grandma, so street! 8)

35mmpaul
Art Expert

Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:10 am

so the new theory is that Banksy did it as a hoax to drum up attention for himself?
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
rubberneck
Art God

Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:12 am

35mmpaul wrote:so the new theory is that Banksy did it as a hoax to drum up attention for himself?
Or maybe it was Mr Brainwash, cos ya know...

acidburn
Art Daddy

Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:31 am

rubberneck wrote:
acidburn wrote:

Dat Grandma, so street! 8)
and french
HenryGaleWasHere
Art Expert

Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:14 pm

Owner of £40,000 Banksy shreds artwork to copy artist - and told it is now worthless
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/uk-w ... rk-2089171

ouch :lol:
gorkie
Art Freak

Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:37 pm

It's truly amazing that people can actually be this stupid.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. - Thoreau
@gorkieartdogma on Instagram
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:33 pm

Is it though
gorkie
Art Freak

Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:48 pm

I just refuse to believe that somebody could be so stupid as to think doing this to a raw Banksy print would increase it's value. I mean there is no way, right?

Maybe they did it with a West Country Prince one?
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:54 pm

Duh. Obvs babbs publicity stunt.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
gorkie
Art Freak

Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:01 pm

unbroken1
Art Expert

Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:30 pm