The Ebay Advice Column

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
DickButt
Art Expert

Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:16 pm

Codeblue wrote:Must be donkey season. Add these 2 EBers to the purchased-then-needed-to-cancel list (one of which needed to cancel right after it was shipped internationally with Express Mail).

steph-sima
de.jiam.mft6g3yd
Add ayyy_money to that list. "Sorry changed my mind".
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:09 pm

On a related note, it's pretty BS that return shipping appears to be charged on a refused package if Priority or Priority Express International shipping is used, but NOT if First Class International is used. Dafug.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:26 am

was it already refused by the buyer or left the states? might be able to do a package intercept on it.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:05 am

No package intercept on international shipments for usps, already tried. I was thinking of having the buyer refuse the shipment instead of having to ship it back, but it doesn't look like that's a good idea.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:22 pm

Can't do much here I guess but bought a poster on ebay from Argentina, the guy has 100% feedback, uploads tracking and it shows to arrive at a USPS in my city but not in my neighborhood, it says "Recipient unavailable" and then gives me the option to schedule a re-delivery. Says if I don't do it or pick it up, it will be sent back to sender by August 17th. So I type my address in for a re-delivery, knowing the address must be wrong so it probably won't be delivered but I try anyway. A couple days go by and no movement, I call USPS and they locate the item in their facility and say not the name nor the address matches my name or address so I cannot pick it up. lame. Guess the poster is inevitably going to be returned to sender now.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:15 pm

Codeblue wrote:No package intercept on international shipments for usps, already tried. I was thinking of having the buyer refuse the shipment instead of having to ship it back, but it doesn't look like that's a good idea.
Update on dis. Duke decided to keep it once it arrived. #kumbaya

P. S. How the fug are the name and address wrong? What's the scam here?
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:54 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Codeblue wrote:No package intercept on international shipments for usps, already tried. I was thinking of having the buyer refuse the shipment instead of having to ship it back, but it doesn't look like that's a good idea.

Not really sure, I reached out to the seller and he sent me screen shots of his transaction on paypal, purchasing the stuff, etc. Oddly enough yesterday evening the tracking updated to DELIVERED in Houston 77095, but my area is about 15 miles from there and that is never the zip used for delivery. Not sure what's going, I went up to the annex today and they were not helpful at all in even verifying if the tube was physically THERE.
TyrisFlare
Art Enthusiast

Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:07 pm

Pretty old ebay scam, ship different, low value package, cover og label address with nearby address, gets delivered, buyer opens where muh my item case, seller has right to close since it marked delivered, ebay decides in sellers favor, seller keeps high value item and moneys
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:42 pm

Cinlabyrinth wrote:
Codeblue wrote:

Not really sure, I reached out to the seller and he sent me screen shots of his transaction on paypal, purchasing the stuff, etc. Oddly enough yesterday evening the tracking updated to DELIVERED in Houston 77095, but my area is about 15 miles from there and that is never the zip used for delivery. Not sure what's going, I went up to the annex today and they were not helpful at all in even verifying if the tube was physically THERE.
Breaking alert, I call the post office again just a few minutes ago and a guy answers, I give him the entire rundown and he listens patiently, he asks for the tracking then he gives me the address that tracking# was delivered to, he says "the guy either shipped the package to the wrong address or he mixed up tracking numbers, but that tracking number went to this exact address" which isn't mine but is about 20-25 minutes away. I contact the seller again, he says "oh that address? I do have a friend there, I did also ship him a (insert poster) poster too, let me check the tracking" and he comes back a few mins later and says "Yes yes I sent the wrong tracking# to your package, my apologies, I'm sorry. I will get the info for yours when I get home and send it to you", so either he drymounted up or he's trying to scam. He has over 300 or something feedback with 100% positive, most of them on posters though so it would be weird to scam me for a one sheet.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:14 pm

Cinlabyrinth wrote:
Cinlabyrinth wrote:
Codeblue wrote:

Breaking alert, I call the post office again just a few minutes ago and a guy answers, I give him the entire rundown and he listens patiently, he asks for the tracking then he gives me the address that tracking# was delivered to, he says "the guy either shipped the package to the wrong address or he mixed up tracking numbers, but that tracking number went to this exact address" which isn't mine but is about 20-25 minutes away. I contact the seller again, he says "oh that address? I do have a friend there, I did also ship him a (insert poster) poster too, let me check the tracking" and he comes back a few mins later and says "Yes yes I sent the wrong tracking# to your package, my apologies, I'm sorry. I will get the info for yours when I get home and send it to you", so either he drymounted up or he's trying to scam. He has over 300 or something feedback with 100% positive, most of them on posters though so it would be weird to scam me for a one sheet.
I've sent two things on the same day to different addresses and USPS mixed up the tracking. Both went to the correct addresses. I doubt the guy is scamming you.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:26 pm

^^ probably right, just seems odd that he'd ship the exact same one sheet (which isn't that common) on the same day to two addresses that are within 15ish miles of one another from Argentina.
IWish
Art Expert

Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:46 pm

I'm trying to think what might be preventing him from being able to give you the correct tracking # when, obviously, he has access to the info...since he was able to determine within minutes that he initially gave you the wrong one. I recall reading about another scenario where art was purposely sent to wrong/fictitious addresses...can't remember how the scam worked, exactly. Hope this turns-out okay for you...his feedback makes it sound that way.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:20 pm

IWish wrote:I'm trying to think what might be preventing him from being able to give you the correct tracking # when, obviously, he has access to the info...since he was able to determine within minutes that he initially gave you the wrong one. I recall reading about another scenario where art was purposely sent to wrong/fictitious addresses...can't remember how the scam worked, exactly. Hope this turns-out okay for you...his feedback makes it sound that way.
Seller knew they sent two things to Houston so if one has shows as being delivered to the wrong zip then seller knew the two tracking numbers were mixed. If it was all in paper form at home they would not have access to the other tracking number, particularly if it was going to a friend. Seller is now on record as owning the mix up so there is evidence to keep eBay from closing the case as a delivered item.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:49 pm

Pretty sure the "wrong" address scam requires it to be sent to an address in the same zip code - as that's what the proof of delivery is based on when deciding cases for lower value items. Since this was to a different zip entirely (right?) that wouldn't work, so it's probably just a really odd mix-up/coincidence.
IWish
Art Expert

Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:09 pm

jjttdw wrote:Seller knew they sent two things to Houston so if one has shows as being delivered to the wrong zip then seller knew the two tracking numbers were mixed. If it was all in paper form at home they would not have access to the other tracking number, particularly if it was going to a friend. Seller is now on record as owning the mix up so there is evidence to keep eBay from closing the case as a delivered item.
Thanks. I knew there had to be a reasonable explanation.