Horkey/Dead Arts Rumors and News

General art-related discussion.
pjsteelerfan
Art Expert

Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:30 am

bluebirdsong wrote:
Codeblue wrote:Just a couple.
What color was the paper? Offwhite, ivory, bone? When a red one goes up for sale I'll be curious to see the secondary market price since it has a lower editioning. Why does everything horkey have to be custom framed :-(
BlakeAronson
Flipper

Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:46 am

bluebirdsong wrote:Why does everything horkey have to be custom framed :-(
because it's worth it.
Resized_20180716_044553_7481.jpeg
Resized_20180716_044517_6164.jpeg
8=====D~~~~
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:14 am

lol, it's such a silly gripe to have. Nobody asks James Jean why his prints aren't 18 x 24 :lol: Maybe Aaron just doesn't want to constrain his art in that way. Maybe the constraints of screen print are as much as he wants to limit his artwork. And that final dimensions should be driven more by the layout decisions that he makes, instead of what size frames IKEA has in stock. lol. I actually appreciate that choice. Gives him more creative freedom. Hell, I'd be custom framing it anyway, even if it was a "standard" size.
So it goes...
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:39 am

well sure. it's not a giant issue. but it has prevented me personally from framing stuff i have acquired of his almost 4-5 years ago because i have to go and get a custom frame.

and if i have to put prints on the chopping block the ones that haven't been framed have been added to that pile frequently because of their cost to frame. not everyone can grab a print for $100ish then spend an additional $200-$300 to frame.

its also pretty telling to look at the horkey club pictures to see that most people don't have a majority of their collections framed.

its not the end of the world but it does have an effect on people's framing and collecting of his prints.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
Kramerica
Art Freak

Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:45 am

I think you would find most people don't have the majority of their collections framed, regardless of artist or size of the print.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:46 am

35mmpaul wrote:
its also pretty telling to look at the horkey club pictures to see that most people don't have a majority of their collections framed.
The majority of my horkey collection is not framed but I probably have 40-50 framed horkeys. Most people in THC tend to be a bit obsessive and even if you frame a lot there's only so many pieces you can fit on the wall. I don't think I'd frame any more if they were standard size or would just cost less!

Also, weren't pretty much all gigposters weird sizes up until a few years ago? This is hardly specific to horkey.
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:53 am

Kramerica wrote:I think you would find most people don't have the majority of their collections framed, regardless of artist or size of the print.
totally true. but with my 24x36's i swap them out every few months with new prints. or go to michaels and pick up a new frame on sale. can't really do that with a 18.25 x 39 print.

its just easier, cheaper and more options to buy frames if you have stores that actually stock the sizes you need.

its a mild issue. but a manageable one.
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:07 pm

This went up for preorder today: http://translationlossrecords.bigcartel ... p-preorder

The 4th full length “Never Trust A Gemini” from Hartford, CT’s legendary CABLE is masterfully remixed by Alex Garcia-Rivera (American Nightmare, Bloodhorse) and remastered by Brad Boatright at Audiosiege (Iron Monkey, Sleep, High On Fire) and presented in all its amazing glory, exactly how the band originally envisioned it! Features gorgeous artwork by Aaron Horkey!
So it goes...
KSUvet
Art Expert

Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:27 pm

This is NOT Horkey, but it looks like this artist could be a branch off the Horkey tree. I just found it on Instagram today. Most of the other stuff is not Horkish at all, but the lines, horns, filigree, and "Dead Arts" sure remind me of him. Anyone know the artist?

"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
Thalass
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:50 pm

KSUvet wrote:This is NOT Horkey, but it looks like this artist could be a branch off the Horkey tree. I just found it on Instagram today. Most of the other stuff is not Horkish at all, but the lines, horns, filigree, and "Dead Arts" sure remind me of him. Anyone know the artist?
Hmm, you're right, that's nearly a dead ringer. Horkey's hatching is very distinctive because of his variable line weight (he tends to start thick and end thin, if that makes sense); the background of this image reminds me faintly of that style. Honestly, if you didn't tell me this wasn't a Horkey, I would have assumed it was. The overall aesthetic fits, and certain parts of it (look at the bottom-most downward-facing scroll on the right hand side, for instance) look identical to Horkey's work.

Reverse Image Search yields nothing. I'm stumped.
KSUvet
Art Expert

Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:53 pm

Oops, I thought the IG tag would result in a link. Here's the artist page, and that post has some other detail images and WIP. Look at the horns, for example.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnD82pmD_Nn ... r97q2ovx4g

Also, they're followed by Horkey fwiw. Maybe we have a Theo/alter ego situation. :lol:
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
Thalass
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:58 pm

Bird at the bottom with the snake head, too. Even the imagery is Horkey-esque.

This must be a conscious mimicry. Very talented artist, either way.
aznpunkyu
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:16 pm

looking at his other works, there seems to be a little bit of ortiz, ruas, and maybe sutfin influence as well
Image THC x 3
talkingdeads
Art Expert

Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:43 pm

It is very nice work, but I don’t think I have ever seen a page of aaron’s rough drafts that was even remotely dirty. His graphite drawings are pretty immaculate from start to finish
noweyesee
Art Expert

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:49 am