Preparing to Move

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
Post Reply
User avatar
igotid
Art Expert
Posts: 1225
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:00 am

Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:32 pm

Any issues with mylar sleeves and moving in the heat? Moving company was very concerned about melting while in transit. Thoughts?
User avatar
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert
Posts: 5637
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:05 am
Location: Houston, TX

Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:33 pm

igotid wrote:Any issues with mylar sleeves and moving in the heat? Moving company was very concerned about melting while in transit. Thoughts?
IMO the prints should stay with you. I would be more worried about the level of humidity. From my little research it appears mylar melting point is around 250-260 degrees celcius (480-500 f)
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump
User avatar
igotid
Art Expert
Posts: 1225
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:00 am

Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:23 pm

ToolFanFromWayBack wrote:
igotid wrote:Any issues with mylar sleeves and moving in the heat? Moving company was very concerned about melting while in transit. Thoughts?
IMO the prints should stay with you. I would be more worried about the level of humidity. From my little research it appears mylar melting point is around 250-260 degrees celcius (480-500 f)
That’s what I’m leaning towards. Although it’s from Portland to Austin so that’s a 3-4 day trek. May be worth it to safeguard the prints.
User avatar
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert
Posts: 5637
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:05 am
Location: Houston, TX

Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:59 pm

igotid wrote:
ToolFanFromWayBack wrote:
igotid wrote:Any issues with mylar sleeves and moving in the heat? Moving company was very concerned about melting while in transit. Thoughts?
IMO the prints should stay with you. I would be more worried about the level of humidity. From my little research it appears mylar melting point is around 250-260 degrees celcius (480-500 f)
That’s what I’m leaning towards. Although it’s from Portland to Austin so that’s a 3-4 day trek. May be worth it to safeguard the prints.
How many prints are we talking and how expensive? If they are in portfolios, I would say take them with you in the car and into the hotel at night. A flat file full would be a pain to transport and might be better left to the movers.
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump
User avatar
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much
Posts: 51304
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans

Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:06 am

I wouldn't let movers touch any art I wasn't prepared to have destroyed.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
kansasbbq
Art Freak
Posts: 17398
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:46 pm
Location: AUSTIN, tx

Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:16 am

igotid wrote:Although it’s from Portland to Austin so that’s a 3-4 day trek.
Where in Austin?
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
User avatar
igotid
Art Expert
Posts: 1225
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:00 am

Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:11 pm

It’s about 500 prints so difficult to get in and out of a hotel a few times.

Probably somewhere in SW Austin. Will be looking at neighborhoods next week
User avatar
dwlfennell
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 697
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:17 am
Location: Denver

Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:44 pm

I moved from FL to CO a couple years back with over 1000 prints and had no issues with mylar sleeves... I spent a lot of time carefully sorting and packing and we used U-Pack, so I loaded and unloaded everything. The only thing I could see you potentially having trouble with are prints hand-finished with paint - might pack those in a tube and throw them in your car.
fallchild
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 1:53 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:53 pm

Curious what Mylar sleeves you're using as I move a lot and it would be nice to know which are the best.
User avatar
mobius006
Art Freak
Posts: 12942
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:16 pm

Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:07 pm

man 500.
kansasbbq
Art Freak
Posts: 17398
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:46 pm
Location: AUSTIN, tx

Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:23 pm

igotid wrote: Probably somewhere in SW Austin. Will be looking at neighborhoods next week
Find a place yet?
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
Post Reply