The Official Greg “Craola” Simkins thread

General art-related discussion.
User avatar
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus
Posts: 52227
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:50 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Thu May 17, 2018 10:46 pm

All pieces from Greg's latest show have been added to the DB: http://expressobeans.com/public/search. ... rtist=2793
So it goes...
User avatar
technique
Art Expert
Posts: 3434
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:39 am

Fri May 18, 2018 7:26 am

mfaith wrote:All pieces from Greg's latest show have been added to the DB: http://expressobeans.com/public/search. ... rtist=2793

Thanks! Picked up Whisky 1...most stuff I was interested in was sold and I got my email in pretty quick I thought. Seems the beyond the street inclusion has brought even more eyes on Gregs work which is great though.
TheCollector1113
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:45 pm

Fri May 18, 2018 6:59 pm

Really glad I came across this thread. Love his work as it has a very Alice in Wonderland feel to it. Just bought an AP of The Escape Artist from being on the mailing list. :D

https://gregsimkinsart.com/news/2018/5/ ... mited-time
User avatar
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus
Posts: 52227
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:50 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Thu May 31, 2018 9:29 pm

Greg 'Craola' Simkins wrote:I have been exploring this world that I made up called "The Outside" and it is an extension of that, but I wanted to play with the idea of who runs the show and keeps the order in this place. You'll notice my "Starry Knight" characters in many of these pieces and they are the puppeteers keeping everything in place. It is their job to keep these uniquely shaped, striped eggs safe so they can hatch into the large birds you see in my paintings. These birds serve different functions, such as ushering visitors back and forth between our world and The Outside, some control time, and some are protecters and teachers for those lost in the outside. There is so much potential in each one of these eggs that the Starry Knights have given their entire lives to protect them. As I sketch, these kind of story lines dance around in my head and I write them down just to make sense of it all to myself. These stories become the framework for the show itself.
Super interesting :clap:
So it goes...
TheCollector1113
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:45 pm

Thu May 31, 2018 10:14 pm

I just discovered Greg through this forum a couple of weeks ago and I absolutely LOVE his stuff. The Alice in Wonderland feel, the colors, and the added story to me are amazing. Bought a print of the aforementioned Escape Artist but looking to buy more and start a collection for sure.
User avatar
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus
Posts: 52227
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:50 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Thu May 31, 2018 10:25 pm

TheCollector1113 wrote:I just discovered Greg through this forum a couple of weeks ago and I absolutely LOVE his stuff. The Alice in Wonderland feel, the colors, and the added story to me are amazing. Bought a print of the aforementioned Escape Artist but looking to buy more and start a collection for sure.
Very cool! Eager to see how you end up framing it. :clap:
So it goes...
TheCollector1113
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:45 pm

Thu May 31, 2018 10:56 pm

mfaith wrote:
TheCollector1113 wrote:I just discovered Greg through this forum a couple of weeks ago and I absolutely LOVE his stuff. The Alice in Wonderland feel, the colors, and the added story to me are amazing. Bought a print of the aforementioned Escape Artist but looking to buy more and start a collection for sure.
Very cool! Eager to see how you end up framing it. :clap:
I've been feverishly looking at the Framing Corner for Ideas. Thinking something whether mat or frame that incorporates the sea blue color, but either way will post it there once it's done. Received shipping notice yesterday so not long.

It amazes me, Greg does not seem to get a ton of attention here, but he's pretty popular via social media. He has more followers than Horkey, who is much more revered here.
User avatar
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus
Posts: 52227
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:50 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Thu May 31, 2018 11:03 pm

TheCollector1113 wrote:Greg does not seem to get a ton of attention here, but he's pretty popular via social media.
I think a lot of that stems from the fact that historically this site has revolved around prints, and the fine art scene wasn't tracked as much. I've tried to shift that a bit in my time here (or at least balance it more), by entering all of the art from numerous fine art galleries in and trying to increase visibility. Greg's primary domain is original art, and while he does release prints of some of his paintings, the paintings are really the thing. Continuing to shine a spotlight on these shows and socializing the great work he does, will hopefully help over time, which of course you can help with. :cheers:
So it goes...
User avatar
felocin
Art Expert
Posts: 1616
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:00 am
Location: Northern California

Thu May 31, 2018 11:47 pm

mfaith wrote:
TheCollector1113 wrote:Greg does not seem to get a ton of attention here, but he's pretty popular via social media.
I think a lot of that stems from the fact that historically this site has revolved around prints, and the fine art scene wasn't tracked as much. I've tried to shift that a bit in my time here (or at least balance it more), by entering all of the art from numerous fine art galleries in and trying to increase visibility. Greg's primary domain is original art, and while he does release prints of some of his paintings, the paintings are really the thing. Continuing to shine a spotlight on these shows and socializing the great work he does, will hopefully help over time, which of course you can help with. :cheers:
You’re work here is noticed and appreciated, at least by me. Thanks for all the time you put into the site.
User avatar
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus
Posts: 52227
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:50 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Thu May 31, 2018 11:55 pm

felocin wrote:You’re work here is noticed and appreciated, at least by me. Thanks for all the time you put into the site.
Thank you for the kind words. :cheers:
So it goes...
User avatar
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 840
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:11 pm

Thu May 31, 2018 11:58 pm

felocin wrote:
mfaith wrote:
TheCollector1113 wrote:Greg does not seem to get a ton of attention here, but he's pretty popular via social media.
I think a lot of that stems from the fact that historically this site has revolved around prints, and the fine art scene wasn't tracked as much. I've tried to shift that a bit in my time here (or at least balance it more), by entering all of the art from numerous fine art galleries in and trying to increase visibility. Greg's primary domain is original art, and while he does release prints of some of his paintings, the paintings are really the thing. Continuing to shine a spotlight on these shows and socializing the great work he does, will hopefully help over time, which of course you can help with. :cheers:
You’re work here is noticed and appreciated, at least by me. Thanks for all the time you put into the site.
hope you continue to in order to gain a broader audience....

Collector113.....Craola has amazing work. Check out his movie...... then, you’ll find out soon how this forum works and why it struggles to move forward and attract/keep new users around. :wink:
TheCollector1113
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:45 pm

Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:17 am

chevyav53 wrote:
felocin wrote:
mfaith wrote:
TheCollector1113 wrote:Greg does not seem to get a ton of attention here, but he's pretty popular via social media.
I think a lot of that stems from the fact that historically this site has revolved around prints, and the fine art scene wasn't tracked as much. I've tried to shift that a bit in my time here (or at least balance it more), by entering all of the art from numerous fine art galleries in and trying to increase visibility. Greg's primary domain is original art, and while he does release prints of some of his paintings, the paintings are really the thing. Continuing to shine a spotlight on these shows and socializing the great work he does, will hopefully help over time, which of course you can help with. :cheers:
You’re work here is noticed and appreciated, at least by me. Thanks for all the time you put into the site.
hope you continue to in order to gain a broader audience....

Collector113.....Craola has amazing work. Check out his movie...... then, you’ll find out soon how this forum works and why it struggles to move forward and attract/keep new users around. :wink:
I came to these boards initially because I was looking for more info on poster art from the likes of Mondo, Grey Matter, ect to add to my media room... I found myself becoming more and more intrigued with the work of PEZ, Prefab77, Greg Simkins, and others, and that's due to you (mfaith) and others efforts, so definitely appreciated from my end.
User avatar
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 840
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:11 pm

Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:29 am

TheCollector1113 wrote:I came to these boards initially because I was looking for more info on poster art from the likes of Mondo, Grey Matter, ect to add to my media room... I found myself becoming more and more intrigued with the work of PEZ, Prefab77, Greg Simkins, and others, and that's due to you (mfaith) and others efforts, so definitely appreciated from my end.
Have you looked into Dulk's work? If you like Craola you might like it, great stuff.
User avatar
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much
Posts: 52846
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans

Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:34 pm

A 21-page thread for an artist is pretty damn big for EB. Especially for one who's prints don't flip.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
User avatar
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 840
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:11 pm

Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:32 am

Speaking of Craola, looks like Beyond the Black Sea just won best resin at the Designer Toy awards.



Post Reply