Netflix Streaming Finds.

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
PLUSH
Art Expert

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:16 pm

Ravenous. :pint:
PLUSH
Art Expert

Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:18 am

Irishman12 wrote:THE OUTSIDER

I would definitely say this is one of Netflix better movies. In 1954, former US soldier Jared Leto joins a yakuza. The story centers on a rival gang that is at odds with Leto's gang over who controls certain territories in post-World War II Japan. The tension of the war is still very much alive between this American and the Japanese. Leto gives a good performance and at times, even being the main star, doesn't have a lot of dialogue (which is even pointed out by a former soldier he was in the service with that he happens to come across one night). Kind of reminded me of Meiko Kaji during her FEMALE PRISONER SCORPION series from the 1970's where her actions, facial expressions and eyes do her talking for her. A solid film in my opinion. 7/10
Another whitewashed film :hanging:
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:11 pm

PLUSH wrote:

I would definitely say this is one of Netflix better movies. In 1954, former US soldier Jared Leto joins a yakuza. The story centers on a rival gang that is at odds with Leto's gang over who controls certain territories in post-World War II Japan. The tension of the war is still very much alive between this American and the Japanese. Leto gives a good performance and at times, even being the main star, doesn't have a lot of dialogue (which is even pointed out by a former soldier he was in the service with that he happens to come across one night). Kind of reminded me of Meiko Kaji during her FEMALE PRISONER SCORPION series from the 1970's where her actions, facial expressions and eyes do her talking for her. A solid film in my opinion. 7/10
Whitewashed? The cast was 95% Japanese with the exception of Jared Leto, Emile Hirsch and Rory Cochrane.
PLUSH
Art Expert

Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:44 pm

Irishman12 wrote:
PLUSH wrote:

Whitewashed? The cast was 95% Japanese with the exception of Jared Leto, Emile Hirsch and Rory Cochrane.
Yes, the protagonist; is an American white male, coming in to save the day.

Good reading up in here:
http://www.nme.com/news/film/jared-leto ... ns-2248832
http://junkee.com/jared-leto-netflix-wh ... der/148190
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 26586.html
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:08 pm

PLUSH wrote:
Irishman12 wrote:
PLUSH wrote:

Yes, the protagonist; is an American white male, coming in to save the day.

Good reading up in here:
http://www.nme.com/news/film/jared-leto ... ns-2248832
http://junkee.com/jared-leto-netflix-wh ... der/148190
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 26586.html
Yes but that's what the entire story is about. Not so much "saving the day," but the story is centered on a former American solider joining a yakuza in post-WWII Japan.
PLUSH
Art Expert

Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:02 pm

Right kind of like a black man joining the KKK in the 60s. Never gonna happen.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:17 am

PLUSH wrote:Ravenous. :pint:
pvecchi
Art Expert

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:35 am

PLUSH wrote:Ravenous. :pint:
I’ll have to check that out. I remember being somewhat entertained by an older film of that name
beetlejuice
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:30 am

gordo55 wrote:
deancc wrote:
Irishman12 wrote:I haven't seen any of the Adam Sandler/Netflix movies but this looks decent. Has anyone seen any of his other Netflix works? If so, are any of them worth checking out?
I really liked The Meyerowitz Stories. Probably the best thing he's done since Punch-Drunk Love.
this...
I could be wrong but I don't think that's one of his Netflix originals.. just one that he happened to be in that they acquired. Nonetheless, I really enjoyed this too.

Otherwise if you are looking for his stuff on there, it's par the course for his companies output. Silly but has some moments.
Go ahead, make my millennium.
IndyDMBFan
Art Expert

Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:36 am

Just finished Atypical....I thought it was pretty good outside of Jennifer Jason Leigh, I just really don't care for her as an actress.

But overall the first season was pretty pretty good
cotis
Art Expert

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:11 am

anxiously waiting Annihilation...
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:24 am

cotis wrote:anxiously waiting Annihilation...
Is there any sign that this is coming to Netflix any time soon in the US outside of the fact that Netflix has most of its international rights?
pvecchi
Art Expert

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:56 am

Cinlabyrinth wrote:
Is there any sign that this is coming to Netflix any time soon in the US outside of the fact that Netflix has most of its international rights?
I’m interested in this as well. Movie? Series?

I read the book last year in a sitting. It’s a pretty quick read but I enjoyed it. I’ve been thinking of getting the rest of the trilogy but haven’t yet (anyone read the other books? Worth a read?)
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:15 pm

pvecchi wrote:
Cinlabyrinth wrote:
I’m interested in this as well. Movie? Series?

I read the book last year in a sitting. It’s a pretty quick read but I enjoyed it. I’ve been thinking of getting the rest of the trilogy but haven’t yet (anyone read the other books? Worth a read?)

So go to the movies? It’s better than other fudge you’ve probably paid to see in the last 6 months.
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:17 pm

Annihilation should def be seen in the theater.