The Ebay Advice Column

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:23 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:
soupysound wrote:also irritating is that ebay will randomly remove my BEST OFFER auto decline settings and i will suddenly have to manually decline all the lowball offers from buyers and then reset my auto decline. has anyone had this happen to them? i've had it occur on listings that haven't even been up for more than a week or two.
Oh that’s unacceptable. One of the small joys of my life is seeing all the lame lowball offers that got autodeclined. :D
drymounting ebay, man. I just listed some items for the first time in while and had this happen. Ebay was adjusting the low limit to encourage more interest in your item for you. They adjusted everything down to 50% of asking price. Every day.

I also was forced to buy Shipcover insurance for an item. Why should I be forced to use a 3rd party when USPS offers perfectly good insurance. Such a load of money grab bullshit
I'm not someone else.
haven
Art Expert

Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:56 pm

Noob question I guess.

Received a damaged poster. Don't want to have to pay to send it back. Do I want to go the "Return this item" route or go straight to paypal and file a claim? Or is that even any different at this point?
Skrilly
Art Expert

Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:06 pm

GoBluePanic wrote:
earlgreytoast wrote:
soupysound wrote:also irritating is that ebay will randomly remove my BEST OFFER auto decline settings and i will suddenly have to manually decline all the lowball offers from buyers and then reset my auto decline. has anyone had this happen to them? i've had it occur on listings that haven't even been up for more than a week or two.
Oh that’s unacceptable. One of the small joys of my life is seeing all the lame lowball offers that got autodeclined. :D
drymounting ebay, man. I just listed some items for the first time in while and had this happen. Ebay was adjusting the low limit to encourage more interest in your item for you. They adjusted everything down to 50% of asking price. Every day.

I also was forced to buy Shipcover insurance for an item. Why should I be forced to use a 3rd party when USPS offers perfectly good insurance. Such a load of money grab bullshit
I don't think you should be forced to pay for it but Shipcover > USPS insurance.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:37 pm

haven wrote:Noob question I guess.

Received a damaged poster. Don't want to have to pay to send it back. Do I want to go the "Return this item" route or go straight to paypal and file a claim? Or is that even any different at this point?

return this item. through eBay, they will give the seller options, one is to offer a return label. not a guarantee though.

i just had some dumb fudge noob buy something and take eBay for their estimated arrival date, thinking it was a guaranteed arrival date. usps decided to play a little game of hot potato and it arrived 4 days after that estimated date. keep in mind, it was a first class package. buyer blamed me for it. amazing. always something new.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
haven
Art Expert

Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:46 pm

All right, thanks. Return it is.
PLUSH
Art Expert

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:37 am

Anyone run into this?

Shipping address looked weird, so I Goog it.

2220 Meridian Blvd Ste SN141
Minden, NV 89423

Run into this Shipito
https://www.yelp.com/biz/shipito-minden

Guy is in Germany, but shipping to NV? I email him but have not gotten response. Feedback is 100% but most is from things he sells in Germany.
ToonKiller
Art Expert

Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:32 am

I’d message PayPal with what you found and see what they say.

I had a lady get scammed by Russians with a credit card/love scam.

Long story short she was getting stolen items sent to her apt and she’d ship the items to Russia. PayPal covered me and a month later I got a delivery from the postal inspector and it was the item and a letter with a short explanation of the scam the lady was involved in. Bonus, I got to sell the item twice.
ciphe
Art Expert

Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:17 am

halftonegraphics wrote:
haven wrote:Noob question I guess.

return this item. through eBay, they will give the seller options, one is to offer a return label. not a guarantee though.

i just had some dumb fudge noob buy something and take eBay for their estimated arrival date, thinking it was a guaranteed arrival date. usps decided to play a little game of hot potato and it arrived 4 days after that estimated date. keep in mind, it was a first class package. buyer blamed me for it. amazing. always something new.
ebay has become the new amazon prime
pvecchi
Art Expert

Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:04 pm

Anyon have / know any active eBay discounts / coupons for general items?
TIA

Paul
dwlfennell
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:32 pm

PSPRINGTIME will get you 15% off most things through 7:00 PM Pacific tonight. Minimum $25 purchase, discount up to $50.
pvecchi
Art Expert

Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:36 pm

dwlfennell wrote:PSPRINGTIME will get you 15% off most things through 7:00 PM Pacific tonight. Minimum $25 purchase, dicscount up to $50.
Thanks! Saved me $30. Really appreciate it
Cheers!
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:09 pm

What did ya cop?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:17 pm

dwlfennell wrote:PSPRINGTIME will get you 15% off most things through 7:00 PM Pacific tonight. Minimum $25 purchase, discount up to $50.
Appreciate the heads up on this, saved $50
soupysound
EB Team

Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:04 am

anyone know how 3rd party insurance works with USPS first class international? the max value for USPS first class is $400 and that is the most that can be put on the customs form. am i unable to use a 3rd party insurer for any additional amount due to the customs form being at $400?
soupysound
EB Team

Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:08 am

GoBluePanic wrote:I also was forced to buy Shipcover insurance for an item. Why should I be forced to use a 3rd party when USPS offers perfectly good insurance. Such a load of money grab bullshit
ebay doesn't force you to buy insurance.... there is a checkbox for insurance as well as a dropdown where you can select USPS or shipcover insurance. if there was ONLY shipcover... that means USPS doesn't offer insurance for the service or destination.

either way... it is 50% cheaper to insure via a 3rd party insurer rather than through USPS or the shipcover option on ebay. insurepost insures each $100 at a rate of $1.05 for domestic shipments (i think the ebay quotes are generally twice that).