All Things BBQ

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:03 pm

alright boys, ill be firing up the offset again this weekend
doing some beef ribs (one rack) and some sausages.

I'm after some recommendations on what else to cook with them. Ill smash those down in minutes, so I need more.
Perhaps another rack of ribs?

and more to that, what sort of gauge should I use for the ribs? as in, 275F-ish for how long per pound. and what should the cooked IT be?
thanks all!
bryndavies
Art Expert

Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:25 pm

My rib skills started off hot, and then I had a bad season last year. Just couldn’t seem to keep the heat low enough. I think meathead’s amazing ribs site is the method I usually follow. I’m sure you’ve checked that out before, but I’d revisit that.
ImageT.K.C.
piper27
Art Expert

Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:12 pm

Edit:

I use meat heads method and rub. He has a youtube video. His test for doneness is "the bend test"
Codeblue wrote:Try vigorously rubbing yer peen on it several times.
RadRacing
Art Expert

Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:14 am

I use the 2-2-1 method for babybacks, or 3-2-1 for larger pork ribs (@235)
soam24
Art Freak

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:52 am

Let's say I want a noob starter pack for the meats. Someone point me the way. Smoker recs?
bryndavies
Art Expert

Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:10 pm

You got one of the headiest pork distributors in Denver (tenderbelly). It’s all top tier pork, can’t really go wrong with any of their packs. They had a sale last year around Mother’s Day and I picked up weight.
ImageT.K.C.
soam24
Art Freak

Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:23 pm

bryndavies wrote:You got one of the headiest pork distributors in Denver (tenderbelly). It’s all top tier pork, can’t really go wrong with any of their packs. They had a sale last year around Mother’s Day and I picked up weight.

Great starting point thank you much I'm going to look into this now.
dero316
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:16 pm

soam24 wrote:Let's say I want a noob starter pack for the meats. Someone point me the way. Smoker recs?
I'd say Masterbuilt electric or a simple side/fire box depending on what you prefer.

I almost always use the Masterbuilt with the cold smoker attachment unless I'm smoking fish, then I use the firebox. The time/temp controls help, especially when I don't want to maintain a fire while its 95 degrees outside.
piper27
Art Expert

Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:53 pm

I'd say the Weber Smokey is the best smoker on the market for the price point. Super easy to use
bryndavies
Art Expert

Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:57 pm

I’ll piggyback on that and offer this. I have an offset and have to manually manage the fire. I think offsets are more fun to cook on for that reason, but if you’re doing a 12 hour brisket, it’s a major pain in the ass and gets old. As such, I think I do less smoksing because the offset is more work. It also takes time to hone your skills and get consistent results, so expect some disappointments, which for me led to less use.

A pellet smoker, or any temp controlled smoker, will be easier to cook on, and give very consistent results. It’s the “crock pot” of smokers. My buddy has one and he smokes 5x more than me, probably because it’s easier. His meats are also consistently awesome. But yes, I think he’s less manly because of it.
ImageT.K.C.
piper27
Art Expert

Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:00 pm

Anyone have input on the taste difference from an offset or charcoal smoker compared to an electric or pellet smoker would be awesome. I would love to have the convince of the set it and forget it
soam24
Art Freak

Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:03 pm

appreciate the recs guys!
wottagunn
Art Expert

Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:21 pm

bryndavies wrote:I’ll piggyback on that and offer this. I have an offset and have to manually manage the fire. I think offsets are more fun to cook on for that reason, but if you’re doing a 12 hour brisket, it’s a major pain in the ass and gets old. As such, I think I do less smoksing because the offset is more work. It also takes time to hone your skills and get consistent results, so expect some disappointments, which for me led to less use.

A pellet smoker, or any temp controlled smoker, will be easier to cook on, and give very consistent results. It’s the “crock pot” of smokers. My buddy has one and he smokes 5x more than me, probably because it’s easier. His meats are also consistently awesome. But yes, I think he’s less manly because of it.
HOW DARE YOU!!!!

I share the opinion of Aaron Franklin - an offset/stick burner is the only way to smoke meat. Anything else is basically like using an oven (it's cheating).
Sure, it took me a few cooks to get fire management and temperatures under control, but once you figure that out and understand you're smoker, its honestly quite easy and super rewarding.
The single biggest tip I can give is to find a wood that works best for you.
I love everything about it. This sunday ill be waking up at 3:30am, heading outside with a coffee and chilling with the dog as I get the firebox started. The whole thing of being up when every one else is asleep, it's quiet and cold, and hearing that crackle of the fire and smelling the smoke as you first put those slabs of meat down on the grill... in terms of cooking, nothing beats that.
bryndavies
Art Expert

Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:37 pm

Reward is def higher imo on the offset. No doubt. And it is a great way to chill out in your yard and relax all day. It’s quite enjoyable. Just saying that it can get tiresome if you simply want some nice meats but don’t have a whole day to dedicate to it.

I’ve tasted both pellet and offset smoked meats on the same day (mine and my buddy’s), my flavor is always better, and usually better bark. Assuming you like smoke, that is. His meat usually has a more subtle smoke flavor.
ImageT.K.C.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:50 pm

bryndavies wrote: I’ve tasted both pellet and offset smoked meats on the same day (mine and my buddy’s), my flavor is always better, and usually better bark. Assuming you like smoke, that is. His meat usually has a more subtle smoke flavor.
I agree with this.
if you like that really smokey flavour, and love a good bark, offset does it better