I'm in a poster rut..nothing is appeasing

General art-related discussion.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:53 pm

ygolohcysp wrote:
rerocustom1989 wrote:
lemtar999 wrote:Move into the world of art prints not just movie and gig posters and see if that helps.
What do you follow to get updates on non-movie / non-music prints? I wouldn't mind jumping into that pool. Mondo and similar output has been subpar for me lately too.

Your bot doesn't tell you what to buy?
:clap:
bubbie
Art Expert

Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:45 am

I think I have only bought one print in over two months (if not more). The print was Wrong Path and I thought it was underwhelming in person; the jpeg looked better to me.

What's worth, a couple of weeks ago I found a tube that I have not unpacked for whatever drymounting reason and the print inside was drymounted up and definitely not by me. The print is Peterson's Endless Sleep. I have no clue how the tube ended up where I found it, but what a drymounting disappointment.

Edit: Oh yeah, I also bought one of the Bannon's scratch and dent (or whatever he called it) prints and that one was a disappointment. No dents, but holy drymount is it scratched.
1000steps
Art Expert

Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:39 pm

bubbie wrote:the jpeg looked better to me
You know, this has been an ongoing thing for me. I like the jpeg and buy the print. Then it arrives and I get a look at it, and I am tempted to print out the jpeg and hang that instead.

People getting tricksy with their art photos or wot?
Welcome to the sleaze pit
IWish
Art Expert

Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:26 pm

I don't have wall space for a lot of prints, so I haven't purchased in a long time. When I see images that I like, I use them to practice my skills in Illustrator to make mini prints. I saw these images on Obey's/Studio One's tweet...digital greeting cards, I guess. I wanted to see them done in typical Obey colors. I'm unsure which "HOPE" I like better. I have a 12 x 18 frame and some black/white mat - to frame all 3 minis. (The originals on the right gold/turquoise.)

The PEACE is unfinished...just started on that one, yesterday.

GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:12 pm

2017 seemed like a slow year for the print world in general. I'm hoping the shock of the events from the year will start to be transformed into some inspired art in the near future.
I'm not someone else.
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:32 pm

Originals are a good alternative, save $ buying multiple posters and invest into a nice piece from someone you like. If and when the opportunity presents itself.
ImageImageImage

Original Comic Art Collection: http://cafurl.com?i=25041
IWish
Art Expert

Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:13 am

FrankBooth wrote:Originals are a good alternative, save $ buying multiple posters and invest into a nice piece from someone you like. If and when the opportunity presents itself.
^Indeed. I def will take this route when I'm able to splurge/buy. I would love to acquire a Vanessa Foley original. I especially love the gold embellished versions. I hope that one day that she might do a firefly series.
treweman
Art Expert

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:24 am

rerocustom1989 wrote:
lemtar999 wrote:Move into the world of art prints not just movie and gig posters and see if that helps.
What do you follow to get updates on non-movie / non-music prints? I wouldn't mind jumping into that pool. Mondo and similar output has been subpar for me lately too.
While EB has a fair amount of info about art prints (and original urban/low brow/pop surrealism paintings), you need to broaden your exposure. While other forums can help — UAA , Artchival, NBF — Instagram is a treasure trove of information. Another good way to keep on top of things is to follow gallery exhibits. I am literally on the mailing list of at least fifty galleries and consistently receive previews from each, often without asking. The problem isn’t a lack of information.
treweman
Art Expert

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:38 am

1000steps wrote:
bubbie wrote:the jpeg looked better to me
You know, this has been an ongoing thing for me. I like the jpeg and buy the print. Then it arrives and I get a look at it, and I am tempted to print out the jpeg and hang that instead.

People getting tricksy with their art photos or wot?
I don’t tend to buy prints anymore, but I have noticed the same problem with original art. The jpegs often mask works that are very dark by lightening the photos. I have also received art that had different colors than advertised. Yes, original art really needs to be seen in person before being purchased, but in my defense I buy art from all over the world, and simply can’t attend every exhibit that interests me. In the last week, I’ve purchased originals from Latvia, Australia, and Canada. In each case, I requested high resolution images of the art, asked a lot of questions, and trusted both the artists and galleries that were selling the art.
Cragars
Art Expert

Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:10 am

bubbie wrote:
Edit: Oh yeah, I also bought one of the Bannon's scratch and dent (or whatever he called it) prints and that one was a disappointment. No dents, but holy drymount is it scratched.

Scratch & dent tubes are nearly always a bad idea. Maybe only LandLand or Jay Ryan are good, everything else is a smooth fart.

I cooled out a while ago. ISOs or little OGs here and there. Instagram is helpful in branching out beyond the popular artists around here.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:19 am

IG is such a fuggin wormhole. Still bugs the fudge out of me how they sort the feed. Everything is outta order and random, and so many fuggin ad posts.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Cragars
Art Expert

Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:28 am

All them big booty philosopher ladies tho.

"I'm an influencer" :lol:
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:35 am

Codeblue wrote:IG is such a fuggin wormhole. Still bugs the fudge out of me how they sort the feed. Everything is outta order and random, and so many fuggin ad posts.
This fudge drives me nuts and has definitely cut down on how much I look at IG. Just fudge in order at least.
I'm not someone else.
EgoDeath
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:48 am

I imagine (and hope) IG will do something about the algorithm issues if they see a dip on the average time spent on the feed. Wifey was talking about it the the other day and all she uses it for is to buy makeup, seems like its hitting every community. I've noticed the smaller artists I follow are getting screwed on visibility.

Then again, I saw they were going to start putting recommended posts in peoples feeds, so I guess it could end up like Facebook 2.0 if another platform can pop up and replace it.
TheGeneralDean
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:15 pm

I'm having the same feeling of prints not really appeasing me as of late.

It's nice though, instead of buying, I'm dropping back and getting stuff framed. A lull in the print game is a good thing to have in order to catch up on other hobbies, I feel.