World of Whiskey

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
Danno1
Art Expert

Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:20 pm

Maybe try some Crown Royal. They sell a lot of whiskey because it's actually good and very approachable.
stay thirsty my friends
Vorpel
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:29 pm

Danno1 wrote:Maybe try some Crown Royal. They sell a lot of whiskey because it's actually good and very approachable.
Thanks!
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:11 am

Vorpel wrote:
Danno1 wrote:Maybe try some Crown Royal. They sell a lot of whiskey because it's actually good and very approachable.
Thanks!
There are quite a few different varieties now - big fan!
The discontinued Crown Royal Cask No. 16 is my all-time favorite spirit.
Its "replacement" is called "XO" (not "XR") and is quite an interesting sipper in your price range.
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:49 am

Vorpel wrote:Looking to get into different drinks. I'm interested in learning more about whiskey, but would like help pointing me to a good example of a nice whiskey in a mid-range price.

Thanks in advance!
You have to let us know what you go with and your thoughts on it. If a Bevmo in your area a lot of coupons out there and sales.
ackirkpatrick
Art Expert

Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:35 pm

Vorpel wrote:Looking to get into different drinks. I'm interested in learning more about whiskey, but would like help pointing me to a good example of a nice whiskey in a mid-range price.

Thanks in advance!
A lot of Whiskey is overpriced right now, look at the old stand bys, before branching out. Wild Turkey, Russell’s Reserve are great and often overlooked. If you want to get into age statements, explore rum. It’s much less expensive for some great juice.
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:20 am

ackirkpatrick wrote:

Thanks in advance!
A lot of Whiskey is overpriced right now, look at the old stand bys, before branching out. Wild Turkey, Russell’s Reserve are great and often overlooked. If you want to get into age statements, explore rum. It’s much less expensive for some great juice.
Sorry can’t let you do that to him I have to step in. :D Must be a youngster Kram, Rum is the worst, just sugar. Have a grown up drink. All those whiskeys mentioned are great. I have the assumption we have been talking about a drink “neat” not mixed correct?
Vorpel
Art Connoisseur

Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:48 am

chevyav53 wrote:
ackirkpatrick wrote:

Thanks in advance!
Sorry can’t let you do that to him I have to step in. :D Must be a youngster Kram, Rum is the worst, just sugar. Have a grown up drink. All those whiskeys mentioned are great. I have the assumption we have been talking about a drink “neat” not mixed correct?
Gonna try some drinks this weekend. Thanks for all the suggestions!
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:48 am

chevyav53 wrote:
ackirkpatrick wrote:

Thanks in advance!
You couldn't be more wrong.
You seem like the youngster here.
Only had Bacardi from a 1.75?

Fine rum, sipped neat, can be a truly awesome experience.
If you're even thinking of mixing your rum, try another.
A lot of the highest-rated rums are in the $30-$60 range.

Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva
Flor De Cana 12YO
Ron Zacapa
El Dorado 12YO or 15YO
Plantation 20th Anniversary
Brugal 1888
Dictador 12YO
Cruzan Single Barrel
Appleton 12YO
Dos Maderas 5+5
Even Bacardi makes a great sipper - their 8YO

many more!
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:16 am

Won’t even entertain the above. Just as with art we have our own opinions.
padelimike
Art Connoisseur

Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:22 am

chevyav53 wrote:Won’t even entertain the above.
"I don't even need to try it to know I don't like it"

nice!

bet you've not tasted any of the rums I listed
fredo
Art God

Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:25 am

Ah, the "you're wrong" + "opinions vary" 1-2. An altard lassic!
just a foil for me today, thanks
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:21 am

I've had some amazing rums. Not exactly the road for me, but there are definitely some great tasting ones out there even though I don't buy them.

Also, won another Handy in the PA lottery this year! That's 2/2 in the BTAQ lottery now. By far the best rye I've ever had.
Danno1
Art Expert

Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:55 pm

I love Mount Gay Black Barrel Rum.

But yeah Wild Turkey 101 literally has to be the standard for all bourbons.

A local bar has a private barrel of 12 year Eagle Rare. I have never heard of a ER private barrel. Want to give it a shot for sure. Looks as if they have bottles for sale if I interpret the instagram shot right.
stay thirsty my friends
jjbehren
Flipper

Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:38 am

Danno1 wrote:A local bar has a private barrel of 12 year Eagle Rare. I have never heard of a ER private barrel. Want to give it a shot for sure. Looks as if they have bottles for sale if I interpret the instagram shot right.
My favorite shop had a barrel of the 10 year (and by that, I mean their own private barrel that they bottled and sold themselves). Sold out now.

https://www.france44.com/eagle-rare-10- ... el-bourbon

They also just got their own barrel of Elijah Craig 9-year. I've got to get over there and grab one ASAP.
Danno1
Art Expert

Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:14 pm

jjbehren wrote:
Danno1 wrote:A local bar has a private barrel of 12 year Eagle Rare. I have never heard of a ER private barrel. Want to give it a shot for sure. Looks as if they have bottles for sale if I interpret the instagram shot right.
My favorite shop had a barrel of the 10 year (and by that, I mean their own private barrel that they bottled and sold themselves). Sold out now.

https://www.france44.com/eagle-rare-10- ... el-bourbon

They also just got their own barrel of Elijah Craig 9-year. I've got to get over there and grab one ASAP.
Yeah I have never seen a Private Barrel of ER until this. Is this something new anyone know?
stay thirsty my friends