Daniel Arsham - Welcome To The Future thread

General art-related discussion.
technique
Art Expert

Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:02 pm

Future Relice 08 just sold out. Anyone here get one?

fribhey
Art Expert

Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:57 pm

technique wrote:Future Relice 08 just sold out. Anyone here get one?

Cool piece but the price turned me off so I passed on it.
dundun
Art Connoisseur

Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:05 pm

fribhey wrote:

Same. Was prob my fave of the series, but I can't justify that much on an edition.
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:08 pm

Interesting pieces, not my cup of tea but curious how these look in person. That good they are worth $500 and above, prices I've seen for the work?
zeuscarver
Art Connoisseur

Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:55 pm

dundun wrote:
fribhey wrote:

Same. Was prob my fave of the series, but I can't justify that much on an edition.
Boombox is definitely a cool object, and execution is undoubtedly top notch. But between the price and him seeming like a genuine schmuck, couldn't do it. Me and the lady decided to buy an original from a different artist for a similar price point, so now the hunt begins..
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:59 pm

zeuscarver wrote:him seeming like a genuine schmuck
Luls. What did I miss?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
zeuscarver
Art Connoisseur

Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:30 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Luls. What did I miss?
I guess just his instagram stories and self-centeredness. Also, when the relic went on sale today he was 'live' on instagram and when it wasn't selling as rapidly as desired he just seemed like a loser and ended it abruptly. I don't usually watch these but we were sitting on an airplane and laughing about it.

Also, not sure if you look on UAA but there's been comparison to these future fossils by an artist (or group of artists?) named bughouse. and if this is brought up on social media he just deletes everyone's comments about it. IMO Arsham's execution is much cleaner and there's no need to shake the comparison away. the future fossils look pretty cool too by the way.

To a certain extent, you have to believe you're great to be an artist these days, especially in NYC, that's for sure and respectable..but he just rubs me wrong.
fribhey
Art Expert

Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:34 pm

chevyav53 wrote:Interesting pieces, not my cup of tea but curious how these look in person. That good they are worth $500 and above, prices I've seen for the work?
The pieces in person are very very nice and are easily worth $500 but if you're looking to flip then the ship has already sailed on these. The SLR camera is without a doubt my favorite relic he's released and is amazing in person. Growing up I had the same SLR, telephone, Polaroid and the same boom box radio he released today, so for me they are relics of my past and are cool to have in my collection. I really wanted the radio, since I had that same one, but just didn't think it was worth the price for the edition size... obviously others felt differently since it sold out. I passed on the cassette player because I didn't think it looked good with the big base it was put on, just thought it looked weird and was a bad design decision. And just like prints, the larger they get, the harder it is to display them. The smaller pieces don't take up much space to display but the radio is larger and I wouldn't have anywhere to put it.

I have no problem with an artist selling at market value, faile does this perfectly, but I personally think he's pushing the limits on the price. As much as I like the relics, the idea is starting to get stale and I want to see where the artist is going next before I'm willing to drop top dollar on a regurgitated idea. As of now, outside of the relics, i haven't seen anything exciting from him. Plaster moon globes and giant rock gardens with pastel pink and pastel blue plaster trees aren't doing anything for me.
fribhey
Art Expert

Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:40 pm

zeuscarver wrote:
Codeblue wrote:
Luls. What did I miss?
I guess just his instagram stories and self-centeredness. Also, when the relic went on sale today he was 'live' on instagram and when it wasn't selling as rapidly as desired he just seemed like a loser and ended it abruptly. I don't usually watch these but we were sitting on an airplane and laughing about it.

Also, not sure if you look on UAA but there's been comparison to these future fossils by an artist (or group of artists?) named bughouse. and if this is brought up on social media he just deletes everyone's comments about it. IMO Arsham's execution is much cleaner and there's no need to shake the comparison away. the future fossils look pretty cool too by the way.

To a certain extent, you have to believe you're great to be an artist these days, especially in NYC, that's for sure and respectable..but he just rubs me wrong.
Yup, the idea of the future relics is very basic, a very college art school idea, which many others have done this exact same thing. But his execution is extremely clean and well done and they look dope in person... Arsham also has a lot of celebrities in his corner endorsing him which hasn't hurt his popularity.
WaltJocketty
Art Connoisseur

Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:24 pm

Where'd he excavate this one from?
technique
Art Expert

Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:31 pm

WaltJocketty wrote:Where'd he excavate this one from?
40° 50' 49.421 " N 73° 55' 28.329" W

Hip-Hop Nuestra Cultura on Sedgwick Ave, Bronx NY is where the coordinates on the box pointed to
WaltJocketty
Art Connoisseur

Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:52 pm

technique wrote:
WaltJocketty wrote:Where'd he excavate this one from?
40° 50' 49.421 " N 73° 55' 28.329" W

Hip-Hop Nuestra Cultura on Sedgwick Ave, Bronx NY is where the coordinates on the box pointed to
Looks like there's an art museum there. The Walkman was across the street from a shopping center . . . methinks Sir Arsham thinks a bit more highly of himself these days.
amylovesart
New User

Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:00 pm

Hey all. I just bought the Cassette Tape and when I received it, it came with a plastic shrink wrap. I've bought others directly from Arsham and they've never had a shrink wrap so I'm wondering if this was something he used to do?