stuckeyc
Art Expert

Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:47 pm

toobs wrote:thats new
Not really. That coa has come with a few others
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:17 pm

jjttdw wrote:I like it. Maybe I should use photoshop to create one all my Obey prints.
Needs a DOVE embossment 8)

One more thing a buyer will bug ya for

Not a fan- give it life, sticker/stamp- how about a Shep fingerprint?

:banana: :rolling:

OBEY now using tape flaps?

:clap:
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:24 pm

Why make an effort with the COA when it has all the panache of a print at home ticket?
I'm not someone else.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:35 pm

Most COAs aren't particularly fancy. It's just a document to verify legitimacy. Very few go to the great lengths Aaron does, making it into a whole other piece of art.
So it goes...
charter
Art Expert

Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:47 pm

I got one with the Kai Sunny gold/silver set a few years ago. Can't wait for turd buyers to demand a COA for all old Sheps now.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:48 pm

I'm curious, what is it about some prints that he does it on, vs. others?
So it goes...
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:51 pm

the covert to overt sets came with them, as did the commanda mural. the compassion print was the first time i ever got one, but that was even less "fancy"
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:55 pm

Hmm, so there's no like commonality among the ones that he's done them on? Just wondering what makes him decide to do it for some, and not for others. Interesting.
So it goes...
ackirkpatrick
Art Expert

Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:38 pm

mfaith wrote:Hmm, so there's no like commonality among the ones that he's done them on? Just wondering what makes him decide to do it for some, and not for others. Interesting.
Part of negotiations for rights of the image he's using?
fribhey
Art Expert

Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:47 am

charter wrote:
I got one with the Kai Sunny gold/silver set a few years ago. Can't wait for turd buyers to demand a COA for all old Sheps now.
I've had in the past week someone ask me if one of my obey prints on ebay came with a COA. they told me that they've gotten COAs from obey after asking for them because it's the law that COAs had to be issued with edition prints. I told them twice that they only gave COAs for fine art prints, which were generally the large formats, and that they don't give COAs for the regular print editions. they then replied that they were mistaken and got the COA from subliminal and not Obey. After doing a little research regarding that law, I found that a few states, CA included, require COAs with art prints that are sold in multiples by "dealers". I'm not sure if it's required when the artist sells them directly (is the artist considered a "dealer" as it's worded in the law? Subliminal would be considered a "dealer" which is why they got a COA from them) or if they would be required for the regular print editions he releases since i don't think they fall in the "fine art" category.
Last edited by fribhey on Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
fribhey
Art Expert

Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:52 am

ackirkpatrick wrote:
mfaith wrote:Hmm, so there's no like commonality among the ones that he's done them on? Just wondering what makes him decide to do it for some, and not for others. Interesting.
Part of negotiations for rights of the image he's using?
Don't think that has anything to do with it, especially since i doubt there are any rights to be purchased for geometric shapes and a clipart/vector dove which can easily be created. Other than the large format fine art prints that come with COAs, the only other time i remember regular edition prints that came with a COA from obey were the Covert to Overt prints which, like the Dove Geometric prints, were also a set of three prints.

I think it has more to do with this:
http://www.calawyersforthearts.org/arti ... icity.html
http://www.tfaoi.com/articles/andres/aa4.htm
http://www.artlawgallery.com/2010/01/ar ... r-matters/

http://www.owe.com/resources/legalities ... -fine-art/
Disclosure requirements for fine art prints.
California law requires art dealers to provide a “certificate of authenticity” with every fine art print or multiple that they sell (Cal. Civil Code Sec. 1740-45.9). (This law was passed in response to massive fraud in the fine arts print market, especially with respect to forged Dali prints. Several other states have similar disclosure laws.) The certificate must provide specific details about the nature and provenance (history of title) of the print. If a dealer fails to provide one, or provides an inaccurate certificate, the buyer is entitled to return the print for a full refund, or three times the purchase price if the dealer’s conduct was willful.

The certificate of authenticity must include, for example:

• Name of the artist

• If the print was personally signed by the artist, or if not, how the signature/artist’s name was affixed, and under whose authority

• Description of the medium or process for creating the print

• If the print was made pursuant to a photographic process (such as giclée)

• If the print was made from a master which produced a prior limited edition, or from a master that was itself made from a reproduction

• Year the print was made

• Whether the print is being offered as a limited edition, and if so, the authorized maximum number of: signed and numbered impressions, unsigned or unnumbered impressions, artist’s, publisher’s or other proofs; and the total size of the edition

Private artists are not required to provide an official certificate, but if you sell or consign your work to a dealer, the dealer will want all this information from you. Moreover, you could be liable for general misrepresentation or fraud if you intentionally misstate a fact about a print you sell; for example, if you mark a giclée print as one of a limited edition of 200, but in reality you end up printing and selling 300.
perhaps the shepard is covering his bases with the print sets that are only sold as a set or, some of these sets are being sold, or will be sold, through a dealer or his upcoming show.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:30 pm

And herrrrrre come the COA requests...2 today and 1 yesterday. :roll:

Dove geo is siiiiiiiiiick in person. Very nice. Should top $500 within a year. :)
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
butter80
Art Connoisseur

Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:33 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:And herrrrrre come the COA requests...2 today and 1 yesterday. :roll:

Dove geo is siiiiiiiiiick in person. Very nice. Should top $500 within a year. :)
Dove SET arrived and is an ABSOLUTE WINNER.

:pint: :pint:
Karma is coming Monkey boy! watch yourself...
jjttdw
Art Expert

Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:46 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:And herrrrrre come the COA requests...2 today and 1 yesterday. :roll:
Just start slipping these in every tube

Since Obey buyers are fancy maybe this will work better:

NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
Mapman
Art Expert

Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:58 pm

People have been asking for them for years, one was so persistent a few years ago that I ended up just blacking out my personal information and sent the original shipping form along with it.