The Choe Show

General art-related discussion.
bullelk
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:59 pm

Wasn't phase 6 the part where other people get a chance to get in on the show if they didn't get an invite the first time?

I gotta reread my handbook...
Laguy34
Art Connoisseur

Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:19 am

samuraiwriter wrote:
earlgreytoast wrote:
samuraiwriter wrote:https://beautifulrefuse.wordpress.com/

For those interested, you can read about me and the journey that I am on post Choe Show. I've been a part of this community for a long time, and I want to share it with you.

I welcome all of your feedback. Negative, positive and everything in between.
Thanks for sharing man. I went in looking for some descriptions of what was physically in the building, but found something much more meaningful. :heart: Also really dig your collage work! Great stuff.

K now can you tell us about what was actually there? Or was one condition of attending TCS that you can't actually talk about TCS?

I am still unclear about how much I can disclose inre: specifics. So until I get the all clear, I'll have to stay mum. I hope you understand. I really do want to share the details as they are pretty amazing but I have no idea what David may have planned for the future and don't want to screw it up. My mission, as I see it, is to take the experience of the CS and apply it to my life. That way, I feel better and David knows that his show was a success. It is important for me to show David that I appreciate what he did for me.

As you read, it was an incredibly personal and inspiring experience for me. It was clear that David genuinely cared and created a personalized, cathartic experience that sent me off on the journey that I am currently on. It hasn't been comfortable at times but the impact on me and my family has been really positive.

I expected the trolls here to criticize me, it is what they do, and frankly I kind of wanted it. :twisted: Please know this EGT: I am humbled that you took the time to read my little story. It makes me want to try harder. Thank you so much. :heart:

I'm so so happy for you, and really applaud you for taking it further.

I will chime in on one thing that I don't think really gives away too much, and can maybe explain people's reluctance to share details. It was not a random experience. Choe tailored aspects of the show to each person in a very personal way. You were not just an observer going through the show. And when those personal moments hit, it was like a punch in the gut. Truly a moment that made you step out of yourself.

It is still astounding to me. To think of all the work Choe went through to do this for each person is just an incredible thing.
I'm surprised he doesn't just want to sleep for a full year. It must have been exhausting.
bubbie
Art Expert

Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:49 am

samuraiwriter
Art Expert

Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:00 am

bubbie wrote:Image
:lol:

Many of us left feeling just that way...

Also, laguy is spot on.
bullelk
Art Connoisseur

Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:59 pm

I love great food. A chef from a 3 Michelin restaurant in Chicago that I follow just opened a new spot in LA. His name is Dave Beran. David Choe gave him (at least) two of the pieces from his Chow Show to hang in his restaurant, Dialouge. He posted some really detailed shots of the one that he took a picture of laying down. Texture is pretty crazy. You will have to go on his IG though to see them because only the first shot of it will show up here.
fredo
Art God

Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:10 pm

http://www.laweekly.com/arts/david-choe ... ls-8485436

Misty Summers, silversmith/nanny/gallery assistant: “As someone who’s living paycheck to paycheck, has an absurd amount of student debt, doesn't have health insurance, is 31, can't seem to find a job but has a master's degree, the list could go on and on ... I just couldn't stop thinking about the struggle. Life is such a drymounting struggle and this struggle can come in so many different ways. David shares some of his deepest struggles, and I related to his pain and the ways you try to cover it up and make everything seem fine. Finding self-acceptance and happiness in it all.”

Sean Wilson, labor attorney: “David's openness and honesty with us, his effort to express even the deepest pains trapped in the darkest recesses of his psyche, and his willingness to bare his soul to a bunch of perfect strangers — despite a millionaire/celebrity status that one would assume to keep him guarded and aloof — is what I think inspired me to let my guard down and ‘mask off,’ if only for a couple of hours.”

lels
just a foil for me today, thanks
samuraiwriter
Art Expert

Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:38 pm

thanks for sharing bullelk. i checked out Beran's page, his cooking looks equally amazing. nice spot.
bullelk
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:06 am

A tube came in the mail for my wife today. Random address sent it. Figured it was some work/application thing.

While I was at work tonight she opened it and sent a few pics to me of a rolled up Choe Print. She said it’s of 100. We didn’t open it yet but I searched IG and saw someone else got one too today. This is a link to their pic of it.

My wife was selected to go to the show last year. I was not (David made the right choice, she is an awesome human). She was contacted after the show and was asked a few things. About 4 months later this showed up.

An awesome gesture from MrChoe. I’ll try to take pictures tomorrow.
fredo
Art God

Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:33 am

RIP Gregg Allman
just a foil for me today, thanks
bestazy

Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:35 am

Art for bankers and PR company walls. Nothing more. This scene has gone downhill since before Barely Legal and not recovered. Shills. Shills the lot of them. From the top down.
samuraiwriter
Art Expert

Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:14 am

bullelk wrote:A tube came in the mail for my wife today. Random address sent it. Figured it was some work/application thing.

While I was at work tonight she opened it and sent a few pics to me of a rolled up Choe Print. She said it’s of 100. We didn’t open it yet but I searched IG and saw someone else got one too today. This is a link to their pic of it.

My wife was selected to go to the show last year. I was not (David made the right choice, she is an awesome human). She was contacted after the show and was asked a few things. About 4 months later this showed up.

An awesome gesture from MrChoe. I’ll try to take pictures tomorrow.
:clap:

Very cool bullelk! There was another print given too. The Hawaiian shirted Choe with pink paint image. I think it was an edition of 50.

What a great time that show was. Have not been contacted since so I can confirm your wife was one of the lucky ones.

:notworthy:
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:44 pm

fredo wrote:RIP Gregg Allman
Luls.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
thefiend5
Art Expert

Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:00 pm

Codeblue wrote:
fredo wrote:RIP Gregg Allman
Luls.
Luls
bullelk
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:58 pm

Two stuff.

1. Saw this today when scanning through IG

2. A very very big and not so heavy square box just showed up from the same address that sent my wife her Choe Show print. Any guesses?... besides Gregg Allmans ashes...
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:01 pm

Ya got a ChO(e)G brah! Congrats!
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.