The Ebay Advice Column

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:49 pm

cotis wrote:so guy buys item, hasn't paid in 48 hours. told him bid would be cancelled after 48 hours.

filed unpaid item case... am I safe to relist?

*edit - I know unpaid item case can take up to a month to resolve, and I'm fine sitting on item. but figured i'd see what others have experienced in this situation.
I thought unpaid item could be closed after 5 days? Nevertheless I relisted an item once after filing an unpaid item case. It sold and the original buyer ended up paying after all. So you either refund one of them or find a copy of the print for a cheaper price to send to one of them. I ended up doing the latter. I guess one of them could potentially neg you for refunding?
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
turnJBup
Art Freak

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:00 pm

Last month I had to open an unpaid case against some dickhead.
After three weeks he finally responds that he will pay if I wave the shipping charges.
I ignored him, the case closed, and I relisted it.

I am also wondering about possible negative feedback...
I would assume eBay would take it down for me since the the guy was such a tool.
cotis
Art Expert

Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:12 pm

I just re-read the case. they have until 8/14 (4 days) to pay, after that time I can cancel. I have 30 days after that point to cancel.

all good, 4 days from now I will relist!
biglemoncoke
Art Enthusiast

Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:15 pm

Need some fellow EB'ers help/opinion:
- Recently purchased a high value print through eBay;
- Seller took pictures of the process of him rolling the prints;
- Prints came damaged with a crushed corner (and a couple of bent corners);
- I opened a request to return (under the cause of arrived damaged) despite seller says no returns;
- Provided pictures of the corner that is damaged;
- Seller disputes my claim saying that I crushed the corner when I unrolled the print;

- eBay will review this case once the 3 business day period elapse - in the mean time, I just need some sanity check that this will not go bad on me.

anyone had similar experience before? prints came damage (seller listed as all corners sharp and mint) - he says she says type of case

thanks!
hayward96
Art Connoisseur

Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:44 pm

biglemoncoke wrote:Need some fellow EB'ers help/opinion:
- Recently purchased a high value print through eBay;
- Seller took pictures of the process of him rolling the prints;
- Prints came damaged with a crushed corner (and a couple of bent corners);
- I opened a request to return (under the cause of arrived damaged) despite seller says no returns;
- Provided pictures of the corner that is damaged;
- Seller disputes my claim saying that I crushed the corner when I unrolled the print;

- eBay will review this case once the 3 business day period elapse - in the mean time, I just need some sanity check that this will not go bad on me.

anyone had similar experience before? prints came damage (seller listed as all corners sharp and mint) - he says she says type of case

thanks!
eBay typically sides with the buyer.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:45 pm

was the roll/kraft paper taped seal? generally speaking, when corners get whacked, its due to the roll not being taped and the print being able to unravel/move while in transit.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
biglemoncoke
Art Enthusiast

Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:04 pm

halftonegraphics wrote:was the roll/kraft paper taped seal? generally speaking, when corners get whacked, its due to the roll not being taped and the print being able to unravel/move while in transit.
Nope, the roll was not taped. Seller was scared of tape ruining the print....
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:01 pm

biglemoncoke wrote:
halftonegraphics wrote:was the roll/kraft paper taped seal? generally speaking, when corners get whacked, its due to the roll not being taped and the print being able to unravel/move while in transit.
was the print rolled in kraft paper? if not, thats their number one fault. how would taping kraft paper ruin the print? what size tube was it shipped in?

if the above is the case, please post their eBay id, so people know not to buy from them, or atleast take caution if they do.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
biglemoncoke
Art Enthusiast

Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:34 pm

halftonegraphics wrote:
biglemoncoke wrote:
was the print rolled in kraft paper? if not, thats their number one fault. how would taping kraft paper ruin the print? what size tube was it shipped in?

if the above is the case, please post their eBay id, so people know not to buy from them, or atleast take caution if they do.
I bought a set of prints from him, first print was shipped without kraft paper but only glassine sheets barely covering the print. The print was rolled right against the tube making it extra difficult for me to take it out without damaging it.

That's where I told him and sent pictures on how to get it done properly, he proceeds to bring it to a print shop where they supposedly do it right but states that he is skipping on taping the roll for the fear of ruining the print.

Regardless the print came damaged and he's trying to pin the blame on me. Mind you he also didn't have the mind to purchase insurance.

So to answer your question, I would say above is the case. As for revealing the eBay id, pm me and I'll provide you the name.

Seems like he is a one off seller with a buyer history.

Hope I get my refund....
davemfan
Art Expert

Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:38 am

Folks that don't tape the Kraft paper are asking for damage. It's standard procedure to do so. Take a print roll it in Kraft and insert it in the tube untaped. Then slam the tube on its end multiple times, open it and see where the print is. Now do the same thing with the Kraft taped. Print won't budge. I learned this lesson when I first got in the hobby. Dude packed it wrong.
ImageImageImage
virtualj
Art Connoisseur

Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:57 am

Is the lesson to be learned here not to gamble with flippers and only buy from other collectors?
I donate anonymously.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:03 am

biglemoncoke wrote:
halftonegraphics wrote:
biglemoncoke wrote:

I bought a set of prints from him, first print was shipped without kraft paper but only glassine sheets barely covering the print. The print was rolled right against the tube making it extra difficult for me to take it out without damaging it.

That's where I told him and sent pictures on how to get it done properly, he proceeds to bring it to a print shop where they supposedly do it right but states that he is skipping on taping the roll for the fear of ruining the print.

Regardless the print came damaged and he's trying to pin the blame on me. Mind you he also didn't have the mind to purchase insurance.

So to answer your question, I would say above is the case. As for revealing the eBay id, pm me and I'll provide you the name.

Seems like he is a one off seller with a buyer history.

Hope I get my refund....
interesting that the listing makes quite the statement about shipping costs and insurance yet the seller didnt pay for insurance. being from mondo, they would have shipped with kraft paper, and the listing says it would be shipped with kraft paper. definitely seems like a failure on the sellers part.

1xRun Referral
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:11 am

you will be good. seller will be hosed
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:10 am

virtualj wrote:Is the lesson to be learned here not to gamble with flippers and only buy from other collectors?
The classes are not mutually exclusive.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
virtualj
Art Connoisseur

Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:23 am

earlgreytoast wrote:
virtualj wrote:Is the lesson to be learned here not to gamble with flippers and only buy from other collectors?
The classes are not mutually exclusive.

I donate anonymously.