Fifty-Nine Parks Print Series

General art-related discussion.
finneganm
Art Freak

Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:44 pm

iambillyg wrote:
danieldanger wrote:lol at lolterally everylol.
That's what she said
bryndavies
Art Expert

Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:11 pm

mfaith wrote:What a curious "first" 6 posts...

Yeah. Clearly dude doesn't get and has never been to wrangell. The kennicott mine IS the main park attraction. Fact.
ImageT.K.C.
phalanx
Art Enthusiast

Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:27 am

bryndavies wrote:
mfaith wrote:What a curious "first" 6 posts...

Yeah. Clearly dude doesn't get and has never been to wrangell. The kennicott mine IS the main park attraction. Fact.
I've gone to wrangell twice, for rafting and hiking. I found those activities to be far more interesting than the copper mill tour--if you like ghost towns there are more impressive ones out there. The mill is good marketing for the park, but I personally don't equate mills and mines with natural beauty. This, however, leads into a different discussion and one that will likely be beyond many of the 59park yes men here.

Anyways, even if you insist on making a decrepit but quaint series of buildings the focal pt for a national park the poster is still an aesthetic failure. Finneganm will disagree and will have articulate reasons for saying so--oh wait Finneganm is a dolt, so he will just cleverly quote a bunch of lols.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:49 am

iambillyg wrote:
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
ethnosax
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:02 am

phalanx wrote:This, however, leads into a different discussion and one that will likely be beyond many of the 59park yes men here.
Why not just assume that's true, and stop trying to "discuss" here? :)
Kramerica
Art Freak

Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:49 am

Says the mill is good marketing for the park. Complains incessantly when it is featured on a promotional screen print for the park (by an artist whose style lends itself perfectly to an abandoned mine).

Grade A trolling there. :lol:
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
bullelk
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:32 pm

Kramerica wrote: an artist whose style lends itself perfectly to an abandoned mine
so much this.
JPB

Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:04 pm

phalanx wrote:
danieldanger wrote:Crater lake is one of my favs as well.
lol at me...hahah. Can't stop laughing

Don't see why having a different opinion is funny. Series has been producing substandard crap for a while. The most recent poster--national park haunted house edition--shows the series is full on uninspired now.
Dear Sir or Madam,

I'd like to start by saying I'm not offended by your opinion. You're certainly entitled to one. Sure, it's unclear why the tone of that opinion sounds as if you feel personally slighted. I can live with that lack of clarity though. It takes all kinds.

Unsolicited feedback offered up in an unconstructive manor won't inspire much change. The only people with any real skin in this series are the artists and the people releasing the work. Those are the thoughts and opinions that matter to us. Pointed words with curious intentions don't carry much weight. Hanging out behind the wall of anonymity doesn't yield a lot of credibility, either. If the series rubs you the wrong way you don't have to buy a poster or look at the work.

I feel a lot of this comes down to compassion though. Love it or hate it people have invested hundreds of hours into this work. The series exists to celebrate things we both appreciate: National Parks and Posters. Maybe you truly disagree with the decisions being made. That's totally fair. Maybe you feel you could do better. You'd have the benefit of learning from our hits and misses so there's a good chance you could. But that's the thing: you'd have to put yourself out there in a genuine and authentic way. You'd have to assume the risk and invest the massive amounts of time to see it through. There's no guarantees you wouldn't stumble along the way but I can guarantee this: I wouldn't be there to pick apart your work—especially in public. It just doesn't seem constructive or worth the time. Not to mention there's a human being on the other side of that computer screen.

This response isn't any kind of defense of the series. It's ok if you don't like it. Anyone who knows me knows I'd commit to completing all fifty-nine parks even if no one else cared and if I had to go broke. If at any point the series has taken a weird turn that's on no one but myself. The reason I'm writing is to assert that I believe in the artists and stand by their work. I know first hand the dedication to their craft and how much they care about their posters in the series. It takes guts to put yourself out in the world through your work and I admire that so much.

At the end of the day the goal of the series isn't to placate anonymous critics on the internet. Trying to please everyone is an impossible task. The goal of the series is to get poster fans interested in parks and to get parks fans interested in posters. In just over a years time that goal is totally being accomplished. And man, we're just getting started.

All my best from Austin!

- JP
danebp
Art Expert

Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:54 pm

^^Well said JP. I love the series and have been inspired to get to a few more national parks this summer. Keep up the good work!
finneganm
Art Freak

Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:03 pm

phalanx wrote:Finneganm will disagree and will have articulate reasons for saying so--oh wait Finneganm is a dolt, so he will just cleverly quote a bunch of lols.
finneganm wrote:
iambillyg wrote:
That's what she said
phalanx
Art Enthusiast

Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:09 pm

JPB wrote: I'd like to start by saying I'm not offended by your opinion. You're certainly entitled to one. Sure, it's unclear why the tone of that opinion sounds as if you feel personally slighted. I can live with that lack of clarity though. It takes all kinds.

Unsolicited feedback offered up in an unconstructive manor won't inspire much change. The only people with any real skin in this series are the artists and the people releasing the work. Those are the thoughts and opinions that matter to us. Pointed words with curious intentions don't carry much weight. Hanging out behind the wall of anonymity doesn't yield a lot of credibility, either. If the series rubs you the wrong way you don't have to buy a poster or look at the work.

I feel a lot of this comes down to compassion though. Love it or hate it people have invested hundreds of hours into this work. The series exists to celebrate things we both appreciate: National Parks and Posters. Maybe you truly disagree with the decisions being made. That's totally fair. Maybe you feel you could do better. You'd have the benefit of learning from our hits and misses so there's a good chance you could. But that's the thing: you'd have to put yourself out there in a genuine and authentic way. You'd have to assume the risk and invest the massive amounts of time to see it through. There's no guarantees you wouldn't stumble along the way but I can guarantee this: I wouldn't be there to pick apart your work—especially in public. It just doesn't seem constructive or worth the time. Not to mention there's a human being on the other side of that computer screen.

This response isn't any kind of defense of the series. It's ok if you don't like it. Anyone who knows me knows I'd commit to completing all fifty-nine parks even if no one else cared and if I had to go broke. If at any point the series has taken a weird turn that's on no one but myself. The reason I'm writing is to assert that I believe in the artists and stand by their work. I know first hand the dedication to their craft and how much they care about their posters in the series. It takes guts to put yourself out in the world through your work and I admire that so much.

At the end of the day the goal of the series isn't to placate anonymous critics on the internet. Trying to please everyone is an impossible task. The goal of the series is to get poster fans interested in parks and to get parks fans interested in posters. In just over a years time that goal is totally being accomplished. And man, we're just getting started.

All my best from Austin!

- JP
I am frank and candid in all my interactions, anonymous or otherwise. The tone shouldn't be a concern but whether the criticism has merit. So far all the reactions have been either dismissal, mockery, or inane stupidity. This rightfully gives the troubling impression that this thread is nothing more than a useless exercise in promotion rather than actual appreciation of art. And if this is all about promotion then pointed words are not a bad thing.

There has in fact been constructive criticism: that these posters are becoming increasingly derivative, unimaginative, and, in the latest case, a complete aesthetic failure. While a ramshackle mill might be a curious feature that might lure in someone indifferent to national parks; I can't imagine why one would select it as the centrepiece of one the greatest parks in the US. As someone enthusiastic about national parks, Wrangell is more than a dead copper town. Even if you disagree with that concept, the poster has huge issues when it comes to composition, color, the graphic art... Unless your intention was to say, 'look how we destroy our environment' the poster is a failure. Simply, it is ugly. Your Mill dwarfs the peaks, your mill takes away from the real beauty of Wrangell.

Now I am sorry that you feel someone is attacking your project without compassion or consideration. Every endeavour has its risks and pitfalls but, speaking plainly, those risks are your burden alone. Whether I should temper or choose my words more carefully because it may be disrespectful of the 100s of hrs of effort put into this series--that is a separate discussion. Anyways, there is interest and there is respect because I admired most of the earlier posters. My comments were meant as an alert to the overall deteriorating quality of the series, which is in your interest. Good feedback is almost always useless. And the feedback in this thread is suspiciously useless.

If you think the series cannot be questioned by virtue of the massive time commitments, hard work, and risk involved...then there is a fundamental difference of opinion. My focus is on the aesthetics not the operations of a business. I cannot give you credit for the business operations because you chose to start this business not me and your business is not my immediate concern. But I do readily admit the difficult and challenges that you face.
Last edited by phalanx on Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:11 pm

diggin that hole deeper I see.
Last edited by 35mmpaul on Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:13 pm

phalanx wrote:Whether I should temper or choose my words more carefully because it may be disrespectful of the 100s of hrs of effort put into this series--that is a separate discussion.
phalanx
Art Enthusiast

Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:15 pm

Reality can be brutal. Crying about it doesnt change anything. Not everyone cares if you agree with them.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:22 pm

I'm sure no one here has thought about till now. Thank you for opening our eyes to the larger world around us. We would be lost without you.