FIND A CALL OUT THREAD HERE

Talk about art related subjects here. Post lifespan is 1 year.
User avatar
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak
Posts: 18164
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:35 pm

Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:20 pm

biglemoncoke wrote:
novascotiapower wrote:Hey there! This isn't a call out, just a question. If a seller demands you use the friends and family option for a PayPal transaction, and cancels your deal when you say you'll be using the goods and services option, what's the reasoning there? I offered to pay the fees no problem, seller got agitated and told me no deal. Fine by me, because it seemed sketchy as hell. Is there any reason to ask for friends/family other than trying to rip some off?
never pay using gift, if things go south you're SOL.
Not if ya got that CC back up.
Image
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
User avatar
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert
Posts: 2124
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:04 pm
Location: DALLAS

Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:22 pm

novascotiapower wrote:Hey there! This isn't a call out, just a question. If a seller demands you use the friends and family option for a PayPal transaction, and cancels your deal when you say you'll be using the goods and services option, what's the reasoning there? I offered to pay the fees no problem, seller got agitated and told me no deal. Fine by me, because it seemed sketchy as hell. Is there any reason to ask for friends/family other than trying to rip some off?
As long as you're offering to cover fees I can't think of a single legitimate reason to insist on you using friends and family. Sketchy as hell.
User avatar
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much
Posts: 53293
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans

Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:27 pm

Sounds like a callout to me. What's the EBer's name?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
User avatar
novascotiapower
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 267
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Toronto

Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:29 pm

iwokeinrelief wrote:
novascotiapower wrote:Hey there! This isn't a call out, just a question. If a seller demands you use the friends and family option for a PayPal transaction, and cancels your deal when you say you'll be using the goods and services option, what's the reasoning there? I offered to pay the fees no problem, seller got agitated and told me no deal. Fine by me, because it seemed sketchy as hell. Is there any reason to ask for friends/family other than trying to rip some off?
As long as you're offering to cover fees I can't think of a single legitimate reason to insist on you using friends and family. Sketchy as hell.
I thought so. I was actually lucky enough to have a nice seller explain the friends and family vs goods and services to me during my first purchase. It just struck me as strange that a seller would get so pissed off about it... unless they are trying to rip people off... which is the logical conclusion.
User avatar
TKuczynski
Art Expert
Posts: 1911
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:27 am

Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:48 pm

Taxes
User avatar
novascotiapower
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 267
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Toronto

Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:57 pm

TKuczynski wrote:Taxes
Well, good luck to anyone that rolls the dice on that excuse.
User avatar
Kramerica
Art Freak
Posts: 13925
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:37 am
Location: Corner of 1st & 1st

Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:59 pm

novascotiapower wrote:
TKuczynski wrote:Taxes
Well, good luck to anyone that rolls the dice on that excuse.
Bought a set of Taylor Bounty Hunter prints from a guy who used that as an excuse. He did agree to ship half the set to me before I had to pay though.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
User avatar
novascotiapower
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 267
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Toronto

Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:00 pm

Kramerica wrote:
novascotiapower wrote:
TKuczynski wrote:Taxes
Well, good luck to anyone that rolls the dice on that excuse.
Bought a set of Taylor Bounty Hunter prints from a guy who used that as an excuse. He did agree to ship half the set to me before I had to pay though.
At least you're both taking a risk on that one though, that's respectable.
Last edited by novascotiapower on Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
TKuczynski
Art Expert
Posts: 1911
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:27 am

Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:00 pm

Yea I didn't say it's by any means an acceptable excuse, but it's the go-to I've heard many times
User avatar
novascotiapower
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 267
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:11 pm
Location: Toronto

Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:04 pm

TKuczynski wrote:Yea I didn't say it's by any means an acceptable excuse, but it's the go-to I've heard many times
Word! I wasn't trying to sound snarky or sarcastic or anything. And you were right, that is the excuse this person tried to use.
User avatar
admhall
Art Expert
Posts: 1702
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:00 am

Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:24 am


Selling Spusta's now
ImageStout Lotto "0-fer"

Send Bitcoin here

1EM43nMpSTyZA5hbsgLWTfPS8H5BmT8NiH
User avatar
virtualj
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:11 pm

Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:53 am

novascotiapower wrote:
TKuczynski wrote:Taxes
Well, good luck to anyone that rolls the dice on that excuse.
Cousin works for the IRS as an auditor. If anyone thinks your responsibility to pay taxes disappears if you don't get that form from PayPal, you're drymounting stupid.
I donate anonymously.
User avatar
mattkardish
Art Expert
Posts: 3873
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:28 pm
Location: Paddy's Pub

Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:31 pm

deduct hobby losses against hobby gains...IRS auditors are just protecting their pensions...
User avatar
nomdeguerre
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:17 pm
Location: the land of lost dreams

Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:38 pm

mattkardish wrote:deduct hobby losses against hobby gains...IRS auditors are just protecting their pensions...
Can't take a loss every year or it's not a hobby. Gift payments count as income when it comes to an audit. Everything is electronically documented and it only takes an algorithm to set your audit appointment, not a human.
*hand censored by the magical m'faith
User avatar
mattkardish
Art Expert
Posts: 3873
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:28 pm
Location: Paddy's Pub

Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:08 pm

nomdeguerre wrote:
mattkardish wrote:deduct hobby losses against hobby gains...IRS auditors are just protecting their pensions...
Can't take a loss every year or it's not a hobby. Gift payments count as income when it comes to an audit. Everything is electronically documented and it only takes an algorithm to set your audit appointment, not a human.
i am aware --- hence the losses only to the extent of gains, not to go below zero. if you're trying to take a loss on selling posters then that is quite an aggressive strategy
Post Reply