Rokerij Coffeeshop Amsterdam 06 Wood

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
automator
Nobody

Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:25 pm

This topic is dedicated to: Rokerij Coffeeshop Amsterdam 06 Wood

nc
EB Team

Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:27 pm

From the DCS blog:
'Though we had to cancel printing the Cannabis Cup poster due to Jeff's health concerns, we were still able to complete and print this print for The Rokerij. Jeff will be doing signings at one or more of the Rokerij's 4 locations in Amsterdam the week of the Cup. We're looking forward to spending time in these very cool chill spaces!! We will have a small quantity of these available sometime in December."

:cheers: Another winner Jeff!
macc5
EB Team

Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:48 pm

Great stuff!! Rokerij is a great place in Amsterdam....Spent a bit of time there a few years ago! :D
turnJBup
Art Freak

Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:53 pm

The one by the Paradiso rocks!
hainshead
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:48 pm

I came across the one near Central Station this past Sept. Great place, very chill.
ldiddy
Art Expert

Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:18 pm

not to be a prick but aren't eyeball and skeleton themed prints getting a bit old? This print looks very similar to the UM SB print Wood just did. Maybe it's IMO but man, I'm sure there's some other conceptual ideas out there to choose from. I'm going to pass on this one.
hainshead
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:26 pm

ldiddy wrote:I'm going to pass on this one.
So noted.
housedog777
Art Connoisseur

Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:31 pm

i could look at that and inhale all nite long.

i want one.

Jeff...great work! gws!!

DCS is awesome!!
CubsFan4Life
Art Enthusiast

Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:49 pm

ldiddy wrote:not to be a prick but aren't eyeball and skeleton themed prints getting a bit old? This print looks very similar to the UM SB print Wood just did. Maybe it's IMO but man, I'm sure there's some other conceptual ideas out there to choose from. I'm going to pass on this one.
yessssssssssss, a better chance i will get one. this print is going to look amazing in person.
electrachrome
Site Admin

Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:21 pm

Edition Info:
300 pc SN edition, no handbills
80 SN A/E
40 pc SN S/E
1 SN P/P

I believe only the 80 Artist Editions are available on the site...get 'em before they are gone.
ldiddy
Art Expert

Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:43 pm

Looks just like the latest UM Wood print. Get a new idea already, eyeballs are out.
hainshead
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:00 pm

ldiddy wrote:Looks just like the latest UM Wood print. Get a new idea already, eyeballs are out.
If you don't like it, don't buy it, it's just that simple.
pi3rce42
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:24 pm

ldiddy wrote:eyeballs are out.
I guess thats why they say opinions are like a$$holes, everybody's got one! :spocth2:
don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things...
wandering-gypsy
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:35 pm

..... criticism is fine, if well thought out ... I always read it and think about it - why not? But, repeating the same criticism within a few posts stretches a mere point of view into something else ... as voiced by others above.

Of course any illustration influenced by the classic Hindu Mandala is going to have similarities in the geometry, patterns, and "feel". The design has been used for a very long time for many good reasons - one of which is that it's beautiful. So, Jeff has created several modern Mandalas. Great!

And the eyeball? Von Dutch painted the first eyeballs on customized Hot Rods in LA during the '50's. Rick Griffin brought it to surf art and psychedelic art in the 60's. Others have used it effectively. So, it's been around for at least 50 years. It ain't going away either. Why? A lot of people like it. It's that simple.

Take in consideration Griffin's influence, and the ethnic art influence, on Jeff's art and illustration and I find the outcome of his efforts natural.

After all, he is an artist. Most artists run through phases. Been that way for 1000's of years.

His work is usually gorgeous, even if the band on the poster can't hold a tune, the colors used are not a person's favorites, or the illustration is not a person's favorite. Recognizing the sheer talent in an artists work, even if you don't personally favor these characteristics, is a step in loving art as a whole.
hainshead
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:26 pm

wandering-gypsy wrote:..... criticism is fine, if well thought out ... I always read it and think about it - why not? But, repeating the same criticism within a few posts stretches a mere point of view into something else ... as voiced by others above.

Of course any illustration influenced by the classic Hindu Mandala is going to have similarities in the geometry, patterns, and "feel". The design has been used for a very long time for many good reasons - one of which is that it's beautiful. So, Jeff has created several modern Mandalas. Great!

And the eyeball? Von Dutch painted the first eyeballs on customized Hot Rods in LA during the '50's. Rick Griffin brought it to surf art and psychedelic art in the 60's. Others have used it effectively. So, it's been around for at least 50 years. It ain't going away either. Why? A lot of people like it. It's that simple.

Take in consideration Griffin's influence, and the ethnic art influence, on Jeff's art and illustration and I find the outcome of his efforts natural.

After all, he is an artist. Most artists run through phases. Been that way for 1000's of years.

His work is usually gorgeous, even if the band on the poster can't hold a tune, the colors used are not a person's favorites, or the illustration is not a person's favorite. Recognizing the sheer talent in an artists work, even if you don't personally favor these characteristics, is a step in loving art as a whole.
Now that's a perfect example of constructive criticism. Well said.