Drive 17 Kurtz

New topics are added by clicking the "Add Comment" link on an art entry. Off-topic posts may be purged.
Forum rules
• Posts in this forum should directly relate to the artist, art, or artwork.
• Do not post ISOs or FS/Ts in this forum section. Please use the Open Market section of the EB forums for all secondary (resale) market activity.
• Do not post details of your order process, shipping status, or condition upon arrival in this forum section. Please use the item's Release Discussion thread for this activity.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:49 pm

From FB:
rubberneck wrote:How about throwing them off a tall building to the fans below.
I just about died laughing . . . :clap:
pittidesart
Art Expert

Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:19 pm

these last two days really brought out some fudge in MT, almost bounced the hell out of there. As for this print, it's fanastic and Rory deserves all the credit he is getting. Glad I scored on the reg drop.
Official website: http://www.pittidesart.com
theperfecttree
EB Team

Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:42 pm

FB groups are going through what we were a few years ago. it's hard to keep a decent vibe or conversation going when the number of ppl engaging on topics goes from a few hundred to a few thousand seemingly overnight. mixing personalities, levels of collecting experience, and the individuals that have to comment on everything... it all gets to be too much. I feel for the mods over there, only so much they can do to keep things under control. in the end the cool people will find there way back here. it's already started to happen 8) .

nice print btw
jkw3000
EB Team

Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:45 pm

theperfecttree wrote:FB groups are going through what we were a few years ago. it's hard to keep a decent vibe or conversation going when the number of ppl engaging on topics goes from a few hundred to a few thousand seemingly overnight. mixing personalities, levels of collecting experience, and the individuals that have to comment on everything... it all gets to be too much. I feel for the mods over there, only so much they can do to keep things under control. in the end the cool people will find there way back here. it's already started to happen 8) .

nice print btw
All true, combined with the newbie factor - way quicker and easier for new people to jump in when they're told "look for a Facebook group" than to sign up for some random forum they'd never heard of initially.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
IWish
Art Expert

Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:12 pm

theperfecttree wrote: in the end the cool people will find there way back here. it's already started to happen 8) .
The #truecool people never left in the first place.
finneganm
Art Freak

Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:00 am

jsadowski wrote:
That's what she said
technique
Art Expert

Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:51 pm

Doesn't like poster..keeps posting about it. Makes sense!
finneganm
Art Freak

Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:54 pm

Poster is actually fine. Boring, but fine. Hype around it is perplexing. But I agree with you. The nine seconds I've spent posting about it is too much time.
That's what she said
rubberneck
Art God

Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:59 pm

Ala Ansin and Gabz and the rest, he does use screen caps and stills for reference when rendering. That's not my concern or issue tho.

I genuinely want to know what's so defining or unique about this composition that has everyone so ga-ga. This hobby is usually meant to be 'alternative' posters whose design and concept bucks the usual safe studio output. This imo, feels workmanlike, it simply shows Gosling standing next to his car in LA with a hammer. What's the hook or unique take?

Kurtz did a great job on Graduate and ACO, here I just struggle to see the oomph-factor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:02 pm

rubberneck wrote:Gosling standing next to his car in LA with a hammer.
*thermalerectiongif*
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
rubberneck
Art God

Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:05 pm

Codeblue wrote:
rubberneck wrote:Gosling standing next to his car in LA with a hammer.
*thermalerectiongif*
rubberneck wrote:...the oomph-factor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
63schoeffling
Art Expert

Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:07 pm

rubberneck wrote:Ala Ansin and Gabz and the rest, he does use screen caps and stills for reference when rendering. That's not my concern or issue tho.

I genuinely want to know what's so defining or unique about this composition that has everyone so ga-ga. This hobby is usually meant to be 'alternative' posters whose design and concept bucks the usual safe studio output. This imo, feels workmanlike, it simply shows Gosling standing next to his car in LA with a hammer. What's the hook or unique take?

Kurtz did a great job on Graduate and ACO, here I just struggle to see the oomph-factor.
I'm with you. Great execution but it's just a guy standing next to a car. Colors look cool, though
jkw3000
EB Team

Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:28 pm

rubberneck wrote:Ala Ansin and Gabz and the rest, he does use screen caps and stills for reference when rendering. That's not my concern or issue tho.

Agreed in that I don't think it's the composition that's as unique, just that the expected execution is probably going to be great. Rendering an image like that as a screenprint and all. Thought ACO was great from a simple concept perspective (which is why I feel it's superior among his current offerings). Graduate, I certainly love it but think it's similar to Drive in terms of simple composition (I get it with regards to the representation via leopard, but it's still quite straightforward to me). But like Graduate, managing to execute the image will be where a lot of the appreciation will come from - Hoffman was both drawn and printed very well, and I imagine the level of detail in printing those gradients will also be present here. Not the most alternative of designs, granted, though given the film and its focus on Gos, think it works.

Hoping the overall output from Kurtz is either not too high in quantity or there's more variety and pushing his boundaries composition-wise, as he's capable of more surreal and interesting builds. More well-done straightforward likeness-oriented pieces can start to wear, and if they don't, that probably says more about the audience just wanting more of the same, sadly.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:37 pm

One mustn't dissect gossamer.
Codeblue wrote: I’m sorry for everything.
SPAC04
Art Expert

Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:45 pm

rubberneck wrote:
^